Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I am taking the Kids to school Vs I am bringing the kids to school? which is correct?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Bring things here, take things there, well it works for me anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

LordSutch wrote: »

Irish examples:
    I’m bringing this blender back to the shop.
    I’m bringing my girlfriend to the cinema.
    I'm bringing my car to the garage.

British/US examples:
    I’m taking this blender back to the shop.
    I’m taking my girlfriend to the cinema.
    I'm taking my car to the garage.

What do you say :)

Ok, for what it's worth, this is how I'd see each sentence.

-I’m bringing this blender back to the shop. < Sounds clumsy unless you bump into someone just outside or inside the shop and they ask what you're doing.

-I’m bringing my girlfriend to the cinema. < A bit like above, but probably wrong as you'd not say that sentence when your gf is right next to you.

-I'm bringing my car to the garage. < I'd say this was wrong because even if you were at the garage, you'd no longer be bringing it, and there are a lot of ways to express the movement of a car so using bring sounds wrong in most ways. Especially using the progressive, as you'd be out the car in the garage, so the "bringing" would be done.

All the sentences using 'taking' look good though.

I guess 'bring' is used when you're speaking of a location where you and the other person are, or will be.

There are probably a million exceptions. :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You take something from where you are to another place, and you bring something to where you are from another place.
    What, by telekinesis?

You bring something in the case that you yourself are already going to somewhere e.g. the bottle of wine to the party or the girlfriend to the cinema, in this case if she's reading along to a film you had already planned to see. If you're leaving her there and coming back home then you're taking her. Usually you would take the kids to school as in most cases you won't be hanging around and even if you were the kids are the main reason you're going there. The kids, on the other hand, bring their lunches. When you continue on to work after depositing the children, you're dropping them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

What, by telekinesis?

You bring something in the case that you yourself are already going to somewhere e.g. the bottle of wine to the party or the girlfriend to the cinema, in this case if she's reading along to a film you had already planned to see. If you're leaving her there and coming back home then you're taking her. Usually you would take the kids to school as in most cases you won't be hanging around and even if you were the kids are the main reason you're going there. The kids, on the other hand, bring their lunches. When you continue on to work after depositing the children, you're dropping them off.

That's not necessary at all. Something might be within reach, you might be asking someone to bring something to you, or you might be talking about bringing something to where you're speaking from in the future, or about a time in the past when you brought something to where you're speaking from.

I understand the confusion about these two words because in everyday speech they've become effectively interchangeable.
    Yet strictly, there is a distinct difference. "To take," like "to go," refers to movement away from where you're speaking from, whereas "to bring," like "to come," refers to movement to the place you're speaking from from somewhere else.
    Basically, you bring something here and take something there.
    Your intention to remain in a place after bringing/taking something is irrelevant.

For example - imagine you have some friends visiting you at your home. You might say:

"I can't believe they brought those bratty kids with them! (they brought the kids here, to this house) We never take our kids with us when we visit them!" (we don't take our kids there, to their house)

That's all there is to it.

If one's not sure which to use, one should think about whether the action is similar to coming or going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I've heard that Irish people use these phrases differently to other English speaking people, think it's an example of "Hiberno English" in fact

• Advertisement

If it's a fee charging school, you take.

If it's a free school, you bring.

Unless it's a tech, in which case they have to find their own way. Or maybe just go on the mitch, whatever.

I trust this clarifies matters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Since when does anybody take , or bring, goats to school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I just dropped the kids off at the pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its maybe just an Irish way of speaking...I have a habit of saying things like...I am after meeting my cousin up the town....to my this make perfect sense and no ever commented on it except my husband who was born and grew up in Wales, he thinks we Irish have a very particular way of using English that you don't get any where else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,609 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

What, by telekinesis?

That's not necessary at all. Something might be within reach, you might be asking someone to bring something to you, or you might be talking about bringing something to where you're speaking from in the future, or about a time in the past when you brought something to where you're speaking from.

I understand the confusion about these two words because in everyday speech they've become effectively interchangeable.
    Yet strictly, there is a distinct difference. "To take," like "to go," refers to movement away from where you're speaking from, whereas "to bring," like "to come," refers to movement to the place you're speaking from from somewhere else.
    Basically, you bring something here and take something there.
    Your intention to remain in a place after bringing/taking something is irrelevant.

For example - imagine you have some friends visiting you at your home. You might say:

"I can't believe they brought those bratty kids with them! (they brought the kids here, to this house) We never take our kids with us when we visit them!" (we don't take our kids there, to their house)

That's all there is to it.

If one's not sure which to use, one should think about whether the action is similar to coming or going.

So do we get to shoot the person who came up with the phrase 'Bring Centre'? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Who brought you to grammar school?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Neither is correct OP. The little fcukers should walk to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I'm raping the kids to school.

I took the kids to school today.
    The teacher asked if they brought their books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I took the kids to school today.
    The teacher asked if they brought their books.

And did the kids answer, "Yes, miss, we brang our books."? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Take from.
    Bring to.
    In order to move something from one place to another you kind of have to do both.
    The English/British are just used to taking things...
    Next time, make sure you've used them correctly and then say "nope I've brought these files to here,you're just obsessed with taking things" then yell "800 years!" and start demanding war reperations, in the form of him/her bringing you a cup of coffee/tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The examples you have are shorthand that imply, I am taking the kids and bringing them to school, but no one really says that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

LordSutch wrote: »
    Hot on the heels of the "Your/You're" thread I was wondering why do many Irish people say that they are bringing something to, instead of taking something to . . .

I only ask, because I got a right ribbing many years ago across the water when I said that I was bringing the files back to the office, to which some smart arse said "Don't you mean taking the files back to the office"? :cool: So just at a guess I presume that 'bringing' (in all scenarios) is a Hiberno Irish thing, not that it matters either way, because you would always get the message accross anyway, which is the all important thing in any conversation.

Irish examples:
    I’m bringing this blender back to the shop.
    I’m bringing my girlfriend to the cinema.
    I'm bringing my car to the garage.

British/US examples:
    I’m taking this blender back to the shop.
    I’m taking my girlfriend to the cinema.
    I'm taking my car to the garage.

What do you say :)

I bring it you didn't bring a look at this thread before taking the question to the AH forum for discussion? :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056213136

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

MJ23 wrote: »
    I just dropped the kids off at the pool.
    Yes, we use that a lot, although someone learning English would ask 'from what height?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Irish people only take something when they wish to refer to acquiring possession of it. If they carry anything around which was already theirs to begin with then they are bringing.

Beir= bring
    Tóg = take

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Lah de fúckin dah - make the little bastards walk to school.

Advertisement