Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Facebook hate pages why???

• 14-10-2012 12:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

Wondering why people make these. What do they get out of it only attention. Have been asked to report a hate page set up a few weeks ago and when I clicked on it there were over 3,000 'likes' for it. Don't know if I'm allowed post the link but maybe the more that report it might help to remove it. Its absolutely disgusting. Facebook are at the moment refusing to remove it even though the police have asked them to. I hope they track down whoever created it.

http://www.facebook.com/JillMeagherHQ?ref=ts&fref=ts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That just seems like a page for a collection of really bad (not the subject matter, just ****) attemts at humorous memes.

Each to their own I suppose. It's not impacting on my life so they can have at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the question is why not

they're all ****e jokes anyway. they seem more like the products of people with axes to grind rather than actually liking black humour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Dafuq is going on there? Ban that page.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

It's just to get a reaction. Which you're giving it by posting this thread. Why do they want a reaction? I couldn't answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

It's her family I'm thinking about and it's so disrespectful. I can hardly put into words how bad it is. The pictures they have made are awful. Sickening I think. I love a joke but not at the expense of a girl who was brutally raped and murdered

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

speaking as a mother I think whoever made that page should be thrown in jail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

The person who made it wanted attention and they got it. People are going mad on the page, which is exactly what they wanted. I'm all for laughing at everything and letting everything be a joke, but nothing on that page is even remotely funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

lukesmom wrote: »
    Wondering why people make these. What do they get out of it only attention. Have been asked to report a hate page set up a few weeks ago and when I clicked on it there were over 3,000 'likes' for it. Don't know if I'm allowed post the link but maybe the more that report it might help to remove it. Its absolutely disgusting. Facebook are at the moment refusing to remove it even though the police have asked them to. I hope they track down whoever created it.

Why are you posting it ? It's giving it more attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I laughed at one thing on that page. The rest was just bad. Not because of the subject matter, just because the jokes were shit. If it offends you, don't look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The whole concept of Trollism is getting a reaction. The best thing is just to ignore it.

• Advertisement

Why are you posting it ? It's giving it more attention.

Because I am curious as to why people make them do they get off on it or something. It's a discussion forum and I want to discuss it. I didn't post on the Facebook page so they aren't getting my attention there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Although I don't agree with the pages, reporting them is doing nothing. These pages arn't breaking any law and by talking about them and getting people to report them is just giving the page creators what they want. Attention and publicity

The best thing to do is just forget about them.

The whole concept of Trollism is getting a reaction. The best thing is just to ignore it.

What makes some need this reaction though surely this need is not normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That's very strange, I doubt even a Boards troll with a certain level of anonymity would start a thread like that, never mind posting on Facebook, most with identifiable details.

I suppose it generates discussion on Facebook and they've to make up revenues from their failed share launch.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Because I am curious as to why people make them do they get off on it or something. It's a discussion forum and I want to discuss it. I didn't post on the Facebook page so they aren't getting my attention there.

But by posting it you are giving it a wider audience and more attention than it deserves.

So a lad tells a joke about April jones, 1 joke and gets locked up. Yet this prick has a whole page of nasty jokes about another high profile girl abducted and murdered. How do they pick and choose who to lock up? I'm sure they could easily track him by his ip address. I know he's not breaking any law, either was the other lad who joked about April jones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

So a lad tells a joke about April jones, 1 joke and gets locked up. Yet this prick has a whole page of nasty jokes about another high profile girl abducted and murdered. How do they pick and choose who to lock up? I'm sure they could easily track him by his ip address. I know he's not breaking any law, either was the other lad who joked about April jones.

The guy who wrote about April Jones wrote on his own Facebook page and also made the comments public for everyone to see. The creators of the page you have linked use fake emails for fake Facebook accounts, and I'm sure they also use proxy servers as well to have the 'courage' to put a page as sick as that up. Which would make them almost untraceable, how do you bring an anonymous Internet user before a court?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

+1 There should be the same consequences for both. Jill Meagher had a horrible death and sick fcukers like this should be jailed. Her husband and family are going through more than enough without this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Trigger13222

Aoifey! wrote: »
    The person who made it wanted attention and they got it. People are going mad on the page, which is exactly what they wanted. I'm all for laughing at everything and letting everything be a joke, but nothing on that page is even remotely funny.

All for laughing and joking over the rape and murder of a innocent girl. Well then you are a kunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What makes some need this reaction though surely this need is not normal

You're right its not normal, these people are just losers. Their life revolves around a computer screen. Obviously un checked psychological problems are present in some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

That page is disgusting. A young woman was raped and murdered. It's not a matter to make jokes about. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭SicklySweet

The problem with some trolls, is that sometimes they don't know where that fine line is. Trolling mormons for ****s and giggles, fine. Making prank calls to a takeaway place. Fine. But there's a number of them, and it's increasing, where there's pages on facebook set up about missing children and deaths and such. One example from the top of my head was about that little boy who went missing in the UK and some eejit set up a facebook page and messaged the mother saying "I'm fine" or again, when Gary Barlow's new baby was stillborn.

There's a fine line between trolling and being a t*t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That Facebook page is wrong.
    The person who created the facebook page is sick.
    The people who liked the Facebook page are just the same.

Reality is a woman was raped and murdered. There is black humor and then there is having no compassion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I feel physically sick after reading that page.
    Do ye think it's like a random internet weirdo who gets off on getting people angry or do you think it was someone who actually knew her- an ex lover or maybe even someone she just turned down?

Basically just someone looking to get a reaction any way he/she can or someone who feels hatred to her and is trying to get it out there? Also over 3,200 likes???! What the actual fück!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

I am still in awe of the internet. I believe it is the primary force for the good of humankind since the invention of electricity.

I think that the whole power and majesty of the internet is to do with the fact that it is so vast you can find everything you can think of on it. Unfortunately this includes all the things you don't agree with as well. If you censor one very obviously offensive web presence then you have to begin the (completely impossible) task of censoring them all. There are ways of doing it of course, this board is a prime example using volunteers to moderate posts but this this a tiny corner of the web as a whole. The point is should it be done?

I'm not in any way trying to defend someone who feels they need to joke about the murder of a woman or that lad who wrote about April Jones but the point is that free speech, of which I believe the internet is the apex of this ideal, means people who are horrible trolls also have the right to get their opinion out there.

People on this thread have said that you don't have to follow these hate sites which is completely true. The beauty of the internet is that you can actually tell these people how despicable you find them and what a bunch of cretins you think they are.

As for why the feel the need to do this, well your guess is as good as mine. I suppose some people are just c***ts. If any psychologists are on this thread I would appreciate any input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Just some antipodean adolescent trying to get his rocks off. Or even worse "make a statement".

The world would be a better place if there were less stupid people on Facebook. He is but one, the tools that respond are as bad.

The old guard used to refer to it as the AOL phenomenon, or something like that-when a deluge of net virgins got 56k modems in the US, as internet access began to become a mainstream convenience, upon which they duly shat all over cyberspace like boisterous puppies.

The latest thing is smartphones-probably consisting of more than half of FB traffic alone, these days. A userbase who share pics like this, thinking it's wonderful. Or like pictures of two headed babies, 'cos cancer is bad and Zuckerberg will pay for surgery if Ahmed in his sandpit in Islamabad, or Brad in his basement in NJ get a million "likes".

I suppose my point is, the world is full of idiots, and we're not going to solve it here, anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Facebook is for kids. Once you leave school you should forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tweedle Dumb

Wondering why people make these. What do they get out of it only attention.
    Answered your own question, all bout attention
    Have been asked to report a hate page set up a few weeks ago and when I clicked on it there were over 3,000 'likes' for it.

Got to ask, You were asked to go to a page and report it? So you hadn't came across it, and were in no way distressed by it, til you intentionally went onto a page, that you had no interest in, to complain? You do realise, if you don't like a page, it won't bother you?

Not just saying this in relation to this page but in general. Seems to be a lot of liking pages, then reporting them because you don't like the content that was obvious when one liked it. Just unlike pages!

The internet is full of dubious content, always will be, think people should be free to like whatever weird humour pages they like. Personally i wouldn't like the page because i don't find it funny, not because of the subject
    Don't know if I'm allowed post the link but maybe the more that report it might help to remove it. Its absolutely disgusting.
    So you'll post the link, have more people get offended by pages that they would have just ignored otherwise
    Facebook are at the moment refusing to remove it even though the police have asked them to. I hope they track down whoever created it.

Which police force? And what gives them the right to police the world wide web.

And if it is the Austrailians, maybe if they had put more effort into keeping Rapists and Psychos IN jail instead of letting them openly tell review boards what they want to hear to be allowed early release. IF their judicial system was any way competent Jill would still be alive, he would still be locked up, this page wouldnt exist, and you wouldnt be offended!

[/early morning rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Just someone wanting attention - a sad person needing validation.

Why else would you honestly bother?

Talking about it is only fuelling their ego.

Bottom line is, there are a lot of sick, twisted people out there and they have to try and stand out somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't see any mystery really. They're just immature morons.

I wonder if jokes will start circulating about that other Facebook idiot that went to jail recently. Maybe if that happened all the other idiots would think twice.

Edit: Then again the other idiots would be the ones making the jokes so that didn't make much sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Someone jailed for Facebook trolling, outrage on AH.

Someone not jailed for Facebook trolling, outrage on AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Basically just someone looking to get a reaction any way he/she can or someone who feels hatred to her and is trying to get it out there? Also over 3,200 likes???! What the actual fück!
    It's a sick world we live in. Some people are just fücking damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

This page is not funny. This kind of humour is not funny. People boasting about how no kind of humour is off limits to them are usually unfunny dickheads themselves. I reported the page. I don't believe the person should be jailed but the page should be taken down. Not because it's illegal but because the family of Jill Meaghar might see it and it's making a joke out of their daughter who has just been raped and murdered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

They want attention and they got it.
    It's not against Facebook's rules.
    If it bothers you that much, then close your account so you don't need to view it again if you're incapable of actively ignoring it.

Look, bottom line: it's fine for Facebook, it's to get attention and it works.
    Yes it's horrible, disgusting, vile and so on but ignore it because it won't be going anywhere.

If it bothers you that much, then close your account so you don't need to view it again if you're incapable of actively ignoring it.

Yes it's horrible, disgusting, vile and so on but ignore it because it won't be going anywhere.

People looked at the page because the OP posted it. I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. Now that I've seen it, I'll try and do something about it before a member of her family sees it, for example. And no, I'm not going to close down my account ffs. :rolleyes:

Edit: How do you feel about reporting offensive posts on Boards? Or should we just ignore them too?

• Advertisement

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    People looked at the page because the OP posted it. I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. Now that I've seen it, I'll try and do something about it before a member of her family sees it, for example. And no, I'm not going to close down my account ffs. :rolleyes:

Edit: How do you feel about reporting offensive posts on Boards? Or should we just ignore them too?

Okay so you know it exists and it's not going anywhere because stuff like this always exists on Facebook and they're fine with it. So once you know that, there's nothing you can do other than ignore and else close your account if you disagree with the site allowing it.
    And no, offensive stuff on boards isn't generally allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The guy who wrote about April Jones wrote on his own Facebook page and also made the comments public for everyone to see. The creators of the page you have linked use fake emails for fake Facebook accounts, and I'm sure they also use proxy servers as well to have the 'courage' to put a page as sick as that up. Which would make them almost untraceable, how do you bring an anonymous Internet user before a court?

You sure of that? It could also be that unlike the UK we don't have mobs of people gathering outside peoples houses and politicians who are eager for cheap soundbites.

I think that the kneejerk reactions that happen in the UK couldn't happen here. As much as I dislike our politicians and have many issues with the country, I am very grateful it's not the UK.

Okay so you know it exists and it's not going anywhere because stuff like this always exists on Facebook and they're fine with it. So once you know that, there's nothing you can do other than ignore and else close your account if you disagree with the site allowing it.
    And no, offensive stuff on boards isn't generally allowed.

Facebook have rules against it also and they've got a report function....so I reported it. Have a read of their terms and conditions there..

https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms

I'm not looking for the person to be imprisoned or caught, I just reported it and would like to see it taken down a family member of Jill sees it. Really can't see the problem here. Agree to disagree.

Facebook have rules against it also and they've got a report function....so I reported it. Have a read of their terms and conditions there..

https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms

I'm not looking for the person to be imprisoned or caught, I just reported it and would like to see it taken down a family member of Jill sees it. Really can't see the problem here.

All I'm saying it there lots and lots of pages like this were are considered fine by Facebook's standards so reporting it is sort of like asking the police to put someone in jail because they made an offensive joke in an area you can choose not to go. You can report it 24/7 and it won't make a difference.

Boards has strick rules and can't really afford lawsuits.

Think of boards more like a members club. If you don't like the rules, feck off.

Facebook is more open because it's actively trying to cater to every audience.

As for the page that was linked to. The humour is pretty bad. By bad i mean, just not funny. It's not even the subject matter. It's just dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

People often trot out the line "humour is subjective". This type of thing isn't 'humour' though. It's there purely for shock value and attention seeking.

And I do think people like this should be punished. I don't necessarily mean with a custodial sentence, but the families of the victims should sue them. If a magazine or newspaper published something similar they would most likely be taken to court and sued for libel, so why doesn't the same thing happen when it's on the internet?

All I'm saying it there lots and lots of pages like this were are considered fine by Facebook's standards so reporting it is sort of like asking the police to put someone in jail because they made an offensive joke in an area you can choose not to go. You can report it 24/7 and it won't make a difference.

It's the same as asking the police to jail someone? Ehhh. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.Not seeing the similarity. I didn't agree with the jailing of that fella who made a joke about April but this page is a different kettle of fish.

It's nothing to do with me not seeing it. I'm not sitting here offended by it as I didn't know Jill and I'm fairly desensitised by most stuff at this stage in my life. I simply wouldn't like a family member or friend to see it considering it only happened a few weeks ago.

I can imagine it would devastate them. I give money to Amnesty International not because I personally was wrongly imprisoned on Death Row but because I hope it'd go some way to help someone who is. I don't get this "turn a blind eye" stuff. If you ignore something, it doesn't just go away. Surely you should try and do something if your attention has been drawn to something you feel is not right...particularly if it's only a matter of pressing the report button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

facebook now [actualy since last year at least] requires people to register with a mobile phone number-it sends a text to the number so the code can be entered on FB which means they had to of used a existing and traceable number.

it has gotten to the point where people think they really can get away with anything on the internet,just like kids who have never been shown boundaries and consequence they eventualy realise they can get away with anything and start upping their game.
    the UK has been cracking down on cyber crimes for some time now and itd do all countries well to start putting proper boundaries in place so people know they are not invincible.

was reading some comments on that page from someone who has reported it to the people she worked for so it shoud in a round about way get seen by police.
    people who do hate pages like that shoud be made to do community service with charities relateable to who they have targeted [such as a support charity for families of murdered people if they have targeted someone murdered] to give them an understanding of how bringing their disrespectful humour to mainstream public communities such as facebook affects other people.

due to the anonymity of the internet,many people have disabled their basic respect of manners,other people and how they speak to them,they think it makes them look brutaly honest and promoting their right to freedom of speech but speaking with total honesty isnt about being knowingly rude or offensive,thats called being a disrespectful jerk and just as people may have freedom of speech that freedom has consequences.

It's the same as asking the police to jail someone? Ehhh. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.Not seeing the similarity. I didn't agree with the jailing of that fella who made a joke about April but this page is a different kettle of fish.

It's nothing to do with me not seeing it. I'm not sitting here offended by it as I didn't know Jill and I'm fairly desensitised by most stuff at this stage in my life. I simply wouldn't like a family member or friend to see it considering it only happened a few weeks ago.

I can imagine it would devastate them. I give money to Amnesty International not because I personally was wrongly imprisoned on Death Row but because I hope it'd go some way to help someone who is. I don't get this "turn a blind eye" stuff. If you ignore something, it doesn't just go away. Surely you should try and do something if your attention has been drawn to something you feel is not right...particularly if it's only a matter of pressing the report button.

Same thing really. Facebook allows it so yes, it's the same as asking the police to put someone in jail when they haven't done anything wrong.
    I do something, I ignore it and let idiots be idiots.

You clearly know what a troll is (I hope anyway), that's what the creator of the page is and you're giving them a sign they won by giving them attention.
    Every report because of it means they just get more reason to continue.
    Scruffles wrote: »
    facebook now [actualy since last year at least] requires people to register with a mobile phone number-it sends a text to the number so the code can be entered on FB which means they had to of used a existing and traceable number.

Not true; it's just an anti-spam measure as far as I know. If you wait long enough/use a proxy/etc then it won't happen.
    Not to mention you can get a 10 euro sim card nowadays anyhow.

People often trot out the line "humour is subjective". This type of thing isn't 'humour' though. It's there purely for shock value and attention seeking.

And I do think people like this should be punished. I don't necessarily mean with a custodial sentence, but the families of the victims should sue them. If a magazine or newspaper published something similar they would most likely be taken to court and sued for libel, so why doesn't the same thing happen when it's on the internet?

Humour is subjective. Once you start attempting to regulate humour you're entering thought police territory.

If they aren't attempting to be funny but just offensive, that too can be considered funny. Trying to evoke a reaction in people can sometimes be considered funny. There are very few people that wouldn't think mary Whitehouse being outraged at Tom & Jerry isn't funny.

And what would they person be sued for? Causing emotional distress? It only counts if they actually went and posted it on a reletive/friends wall. If I tell someone a bad joke about a murder and 15 people later it ends up with the victims friend, the last person who told the joke is to blame. Not me. I made a joke, but I never actually sought out the victims friend. i did not intentionally cause distress to them. the person who told them did that.

And it can't be defamation. In most jurisdictions defamation only covers living people. You cannot defame a dead person.

As sad as i think most of these pages ae, unless they deliberately target friends or relatives of the victims, I don't think anything should be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Exactly. A lot of people seem to have been taken in. Just because the page has "funny" in the title doesn't mean it's actually humour, or an attempt at it. It's meant to anger people and that's exactly what it's done.

As for what should be done, if somebody stood up in a pub and said it would be funny for one of the female customers to be raped and killed, ignoring him and shaking your head wouldn't really be the appropriate response, would it? It's incitement, and whoever did it is probably a risk to women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

In my perfect world facebook would be closed down because of that. Or just closed down.

FOR those who are asking why Ive posted it on here even though it offends me, read the above statement! Eve_Dublin has explained my reasoning better than I could

FOR those who are asking why Ive posted it on here even though it offends me, read the above statement! Eve_Dublin has explained my reasoning better than I could

Yes but you're missing the point. Facebook allow it. You can't "do" anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

This page is not funny. This kind of humour is not funny. People boasting about how no kind of humour is off limits to them are usually unfunny dickheads themselves. I reported the page. I don't believe the person should be jailed but the page should be taken down. Not because it's illegal but because the family of Jill Meaghar might see it and it's making a joke out of their daughter who has just been raped and murdered.

If they see it, in fairness, it would be their own stupidity. One look at the title would suggest it contains content they won't wanna see.
    Same goes for everyone else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement