Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading BF3

Options
  • 14-10-2012 12:59am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So here's the deal....

I've moved to the USA and my PC is back in storage in France. It was getting kinda old anyhow and with the price of cheap components I thought I'd upgrade and getting something more recent.

I'm ordering the PC on Tuesday and the parts will be here by Friday afternoon so with a little luck I'll be ready to rock on Friday evening but I still will need to download BF3.

What i'd like to do is have BF3 downloaded and be able to transfer it to my new PC once it's built. I have a laptop and had planned on just installing Origin, downloading BF3 and transferring either the downloaded files or install file to the new machine (I know that this will work).

Unfortunately Origin tells me that my laptop running Win XP pro needs an update in order to download BF3 but this isn't an option as it's a work laptop.

I could download via bittorrent but I guess I'll still need to grab an update which will be more than 2Gb which will mean I'll have to wait a couple of days before I can play again once I have the PC built. The whole point is that I'm up and running for this Friday evening.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Go into an internet cafe with a USB stick or ask a mate.

Origin looks for a specific file set so torrent wont work unless its mounted and even at that you have around 7gb of patches after that.

I would go with the mate option.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Unfortunately I don't have any mates in NYC and The Internet cafe would take days I think, costing me more than I'd like to spend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

You could chance using virtual-box to install a windows 7 VM on your laptop and download it through that. Origin might not like using a VM though and I'm not sure if W7 will run unactivated these days

here's a guide, you'll need lots of free space on your laptop for the VM (about 30-40GBs to be safe) and plenty of free time :) . http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-to-install-windows-7-in-virtualbox-guide-hatryst

There are plenty of tutorials on youtube as well which you should look at if you havent played with virtual machines before (Virtualbox is just one free product which can do this)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Moving games between origin installs isn't quite the same as Steam, there seems to be an installation file that Origin looks for but usually deletes it once it's finished installing BF3, there's an option somewhere in Origin to get it to keep on to the installation files so make sure that's enabled before you go downloading it on a difference PC or you'll be stuck downloading the whole thing again or a large proportion of it.

Advertisement