Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80km Hike

Options
  • 14-10-2012 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

My little brother is doing a Gaisce (silver, I think) and as part of it he wants to do a hike, which has to be 80km.

We'd be doing it over 3 days, camping out too most likey. Where is a good location to do it?

Another option would be the Wicklow Way I suppose...

Would definitely consider travelling around to do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Or maybe the Grand Canal Way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

johnayo wrote: »
    Or maybe the Grand Canal Way.

If you just want to get it over with, the Grand Canal Way will offer the easiest, flattest, most uninteresting 80km in the country. The Wicklow Way would offer a more challenging and much more fun 80km, and if you started at Aughavannagh and walked North to Marley Park, that'd be the 80km. You could also plan your own route, although 80km in 3 days on any terrain other than tracks will be tough.

Another option would be segments of the Kerry Way, another waymarked trail that's offers good hiking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BriangC

Kerry or Dingle Way are a good bet. Easy enough trails with upland and coastal sections with rural, remote feeling which are perfect for wild camping.

You could always do a big figure of 8 route around the Killarney National Park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

There's the Barrow Way as well - it's 100km but you could stop at 80 if you liked. It would be as flat as the canal walks but more scenic.

Full list of waymarked trails at http://www.irishtrails.ie/National_Waymarked_Trails/ which might help you decide.

Probably best to find a looped one so you'd end up back where you started unless you're getting someone to pick you up at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Your brother is about 15 right? 80km over 3 days is a fair old trek - especially carrying tents/sleeping bags/food etc. Sections of the walk would be tough carrying all that for a young lad.

The Wicklow Way might be your best bet and use hostels instead of camping. Here's one option:

Day 1: Marlay Park to Knockree and stay in the hostel there. (21km) Hostel
    Day 2: Knockree to Glendalough and stay in the An Oige hostel there. (30km) Hostel
    Day 3: Saint Kevin's Way starts and finishes in Glendalough (30km)- you might be able to leave all your gear in the hostel and stay there another night and go home the next day on the bus.

That's your 80km and you're not carrying a tent. And the hardest part of the hike is just with your day bag.

[edit] I just realised after posting that this is a 4 month old thread so it might not still be relevant. Still a nice route though - might try that myself with the Scouts some bank holiday weekend.

• Advertisement

How about Killarney to Kenmare along the Kerry Way, on to Blackwater, still on the Kerry Way, north along a one lane tarred country road to Molls Gap and down into the Black Valley, back on the Kerry Way and return to meet the track taken in the Killarney Kenmare leg? Must be in our about 80km.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

someone else mentioned dingle way. it has b&bs all along it too so would be appropriate

if you want to make it a bit tougher you can do the tralee section in 2 rather and 3 days Tralee - inch and inch - dingle.
    Problem is third day (Section going west out of dingle) is meant to be the hardest section of the dingle way so it might be a killer :).

there is a section option to go along the north side of the Dingle peninsula which is a 2 days walking along the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

I am presuming you are Dublin based? If you want to keep it simple then you can start from Dublin and follow an incredible hiking trail all the way to Kerry. There are B&Bs along the way and after 80km from Dublin you can always stop and arrange a lift home.

This is the national trails website: http://www.irishtrails.ie/National_Waymarked_Trails/

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

I am presuming you are Dublin based? If you want to keep it simple then you can start from Dublin and follow an incredible hiking trail all the way to Kerry. There are B&Bs along the way and after 80km from Dublin you can always stop and arrange a lift home.

This is the national trails website: http://www.irishtrails.ie/National_Waymarked_Trails/

Is that the E8 walking route Nathan?

Has anyone done this section?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Hi Paul, Yes it's the E8. Absolutely brilliant hike; I've done it recently the opposite way around, starting in Kerry and finishing in Dublin.

It's actually just a linking together of smaller walking trails to make the one big one, if that makes sense.

Has a share of road walking, but overall would highly recommend it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭paulocon2

Hi Paul, Yes it's the E8. Absolutely brilliant hike; I've done it recently the opposite way around, starting in Kerry and finishing in Dublin.

It's actually just a linking together of smaller walking trails to make the one big one, if that makes sense.

Got your email Nathan. That looks a fabulous walk, not sure I could swing 12 days away from my wife and children though so one for when I'm older!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BriangC

Fair play Nathan, thats some walk and some daily mileage! A future challenge perhaps

Advertisement