Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddocks Pub

Options
  • 14-10-2012 3:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Ive been hearing a lot about The Paddocks pub closing down now for weeks but still seemed to be open when I drove by tonight?
    I wouldn't drink in there much myself, the clientele wouldn't be my cup of tea. Its been a long time coming but still sorry to see the Littlepace area without it, especially with all the unemployment at the moment youd think they could have done something with the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Number_5

I used to work behind the bar on a part time basis back in 2005/2006. It was a grand pub back then - clientelle were good folk. But I heard it went down hill in the years after that. Would be sad to see it close none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I was only in there once and it seemed decent enough. I would be suprised if it closed down unless its for refurbishment or a change of owner etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a kip inside and the clientele are the type who drag to their kids to the pub for the whole day. id like to see it refurbished and managed properly but closure is preferable to the state of it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its a kip inside and the clientele are the type who drag to their kids to the pub for the whole day. id like to see it refurbished and managed properly but closure is preferable to the state of it at the moment.

Easy there tiger....
    I know few old timers who drink in the bar and they swear by it. Have been there 5-6 times in the past year and it's not the worst pub I've been in.

not yet wrote: »
    Easy there tiger....
    I know few old timers who drink in the bar and they swear by it. Have been there 5-6 times in the past year and it's not the worst pub I've been in.

No, to be fair it isn't the worst at all, and excuse the generalisation, but Ive seen some very messy post christening / big match on telly happenings on weekend days with kids running wild in and out of it and around the carpark and the quality of the interior and the pints is very very poor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No, to be fair it isn't the worst at all, and excuse the generalisation, but Ive seen some very messy post christening / big match on telly happenings on weekend days with kids running wild in and out of it and around the carpark and the quality of the interior and the pints is very very poor

True, I seen this myself, but it's not a bad place for a quiet pint on a rainy Thursday night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

I remember in the early days of this place there was the odd punching match inside and with no security it was quite scary as they would last for some time, until a few barmen and regulars would stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Never cared for it (too sprawling and bland colours/furniture for my liking) but closure would be regrettable for the locals who do enjoy it. I would have thought the neighbourhoods around Little Pace to be fairly decent (dare I say middle class) so would be surprised to hear the pub as somewhere that attracted a rough crowd?

ongarboy wrote: »
    Never cared for it (too sprawling and bland colours/furniture for my liking) but closure would be regrettable for the locals who do enjoy it. I would have thought the neighbourhoods around Little Pace to be fairly decent (dare I say middle class) so would be surprised to hear the pub as somewhere that attracted a rough crowd?

The ones immediately around it, yes, look a little further east

• Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Thought it was decent when it first opened with big crowds there at weekends, over time though the people started staying away & it started to look a little neglected in terms of upkeep which was a shame, staff were always nice & friendly though so for their sakes i hope it manages to stay afloat.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Maybe I'm missing something here but is there any basis for this thread? Any sources other than a one time poster popping in?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lieutenant hayworth

Omackeral wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something here but is there any basis for this thread? Any sources other than a one time poster popping in?!

I had heard a lot of people talking about it in Littlepace and came on boards to see if there was any info about it. There wasn't, so I decided to post my first thread. Wasn't aware that was a crime, just thought it was relevant to the area and that other people might want to discuss it.

New owner has taken over anyway, according to the Littlepace Village facebook page, so it probably won't be closing down, which is good news for business in the area and for the staff as well.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Littlepace-Village-Clonee/107855765967315?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I had heard a lot of people talking about it in Littlepace and came on boards to see if there was any info about it. There wasn't, so I decided to post my first thread. Wasn't aware that was a crime, just thought it was relevant to the area and that other people might want to discuss it.

New owner has taken over anyway, according to the Littlepace Village facebook page, so it probably won't be closing down, which is good news for business in the area and for the staff as well.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Littlepace-Village-Clonee/107855765967315?fref=ts

No one said it was a crime.

However it was an unsubstantiated claim........which now appears to be wrong.

Way to start an untrue rumour, man. Good job. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

If you've problems with a post hit the report button please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I was living in Clonee when the Paddocks opened. Never liked the place, horrible layout and a really uncomfortable pub to have a pint.

Agree with others it got worse over time

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Uncomfortable? What do you look for in a boozer, loungers?

Anyway we are not ones to go to the pub very often but if the mood grabbed us we wouldn't have hesitated popping over there.

Pius is a nice fella throwing the free halloween/Christmas parties for the kids (I know he would make it back on alcohol sales).

Lets see what the new owners have in mind for the place?

Dub XV wrote: »

Anyway we are not ones to go to the pub very often but if the mood grabbed us we wouldn't have hesitated popping over there.

Pius is a nice fella throwing the free halloween/Christmas parties for the kids (I know he would make it back on alcohol sales).

Parties for kids in a pub........oh dear :(

Ha yeah I know, imagine :rolleyes:

In fairness now it was organised by the littlepace business and I suppose the Paddocks is more suited to it than the chipper!

It was over by 5 pm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I like to relax. The design and seating in the paddocks is brutal. Maybe its the open plan is like drinking in a school hall

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Beechman

new couple have taken over and will be closing part of it over the next few weeks , spending at least €100,000 on a big up-grade, bar will be open during that time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ha yeah I know, imagine :rolleyes:

In fairness now it was organised by the littlepace business and I suppose the Paddocks is more suited to it than the chipper!

It was over by 5 pm too.

Oh god I am really not keen on a kids party in a pub. No matter what time it finishes at.

Was there no other building available??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Beechman wrote: »
    new couple have taken over and will be closing part of it over the next few weeks , spending at least €100,000 on a big up-grade, bar will be open during that time

Cheers for the info Beechman ;)

amdublin wrote: »
    Oh god I am really not keen on a kids party in a pub. No matter what time it finishes at.

Was there no other building available??

Oh lord, sigh.

No I think because it is run by the Littlepace shops/businesses they want to promote their area. Amongst others Special offers in Tsangs on that weekend being one thing that was promoted last year too.

I'm no fan of kids running around pubs whilst parents lash drink into them but this actually was run for the kids. I think most people just brought them in to see Santa, get the free goodie bag, paint their faces and left. There was absolutly no obligation to stay/drink.

From what I saw last year there were alot of happy children that day.

But yeah kids in pubs, ever, down with that sort of thing. :pac:

Beechman wrote: »

Wow fair play to anybody putting that amount of money into any pub in this financial climate.

Oh lord, sigh.

No I think because it is run by the Littlepace shops/businesses they want to promote their area. Amongst others Special offers in Tsangs on that weekend being one thing that was promoted last year too.

I'm no fan of kids running around pubs whilst parents lash drink into them but this actually was run for the kids. I think most people just brought them in to see Santa, get the free goodie bag, paint their faces and left. There was absolutly no obligation to stay/drink.

From what I saw last year there were alot of happy children that day.

But yeah kids in pubs, ever, down with that sort of thing. :pac:

Holding parties in pubs for young children inculcates the concept of a pub as a centre of the community and a place of celebration at a very young age, it's a form of brainwashing IMO.

I'd have no problem with kids parties in sports clubs, etc. because this obviously promotes good health in the population - I can't see the benefit of the introduction of the pub culture to the young. It's not a positive thing for the future.

Yeah as I said down with that sort of thing.

Brainwashing and stuff.

Looks well tonight with all the lights repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Holding parties in pubs for young children inculcates the concept of a pub as a centre of the community and a place of celebration at a very young age, it's a form of brainwashing IMO.

I'd have no problem with kids parties in sports clubs, etc. because this obviously promotes good health in the population - I can't see the benefit of the introduction of the pub culture to the young. It's not a positive thing for the future.

It's a valid point.

I've no idea why you are being so disparaging.
    Yeah as I said down with that sort of thing.

Brainwashing and stuff.

Nice idea by the businesses of Clonee. But really misjudged idea to hold the party in a pub.

Also as far as I can see, the only business it promoted and the only business that gained from it was the pub :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Every sports club I've been to holding such an event has a bar in it.

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    It's a valid point.

I've no idea why you are being so disparaging.

Nice idea by the businesses of Clonee. But really misjudged idea to hold the party in a pub.

Also as far as I can see, the only business it promoted and the only business that gained from it was the pub :confused:

Not many options for a venue really, at least one that wouldn't involve leaving the Clonee area

Advertisement