Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1

Options
  • 14-10-2012 4:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi, I have coop this year but really want to go on a J1. Would it be possible to get coop for 5 months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭KellingtonDawg

Trader1991 wrote: »
    Hi, I have coop this year but really want to go on a J1. Would it be possible to get coop for 5 months?

It depends on your course and the type of coop you want I'd say!!

For example, a lot of my friends are humanities (English, Journalism, History et al) so a lot of them end up with unpaid coop placements (newspapers, PR firms etc)... which are generally a lot more flexible than coop that is paid - banking or engineering jobs for example.

I'd say your best bet is to talk to the coop office about it, they'd be able to be more help to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pepe02

I can assure you Trader 1991 America do not want you and your kind in their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

pepe02 wrote: »
    I can assure you Trader 1991 America do not want you and your kind in their country.

My kind? And im not really worried what they want!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

I think Co-op has a minimum of 6 months. Also it's an integral part of learning so I'd advise putting the J1 off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

such a lovely first post.

I thought the minimum you could do on co-op was 6 months:confused:

as said above, go to the office and ask

• Advertisement

freyners wrote: »
    such a lovely first post.

I thought the minimum you could do on co-op was 6 months:confused:

as said above, go to the office and ask

I don't no whats the minimum. That's why im asking. but your probably right, its unlikely il get any answers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

OP, why not try and get Co-Op in the States? Best of both worlds then.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    OP, why not try and get Co-Op in the States? Best of both worlds then.

I was thinking about it. Id like to have someone to go over with though. Il go into the coop office tomorrow and inquire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I was thinking about it. Id like to have someone to go over with though. Il go into the coop office tomorrow and inquire.

If your doing business it has to be 8 months, also people that do co-op in america all go in a group. If its enterprise car rentals(which is the main employer of co op students) 6 go to san francisco and 6 to cleveland. So you won't be on your own. But if your going on co op in January 2013 it may be a bit late to employ for american co op as enterprise have finished the interviews already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

As someone who spent ten months trying unsuccessfully to get co-op in the States, I would advise you to think very carefully before putting your eggs in that particular basket.

(No idea how accurate this is, but I have heard that US co-op applicants have about a 3% success rate. Take from that totally unsubstantiated statistic what you will, but it would have changed my mind this time last year, so I figure I'd better point it out.)

Advertisement