Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has your outlook changed since realising there is no God?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Although universe as a metaphor can be argued to have begun in the imagination of the mind of a human.

We might not actually exist at all. That theory is as scary as is the continually expanding universe and multiple universes spontaneously flashing into existence ... or [just] an electronic spark in a human mind .....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

RainMaker wrote: »
    as opposed to best non-scientific explanation??
    Oh lordy do we have a creationist here. Now I do put on my smug/arrogant hat. The world is 6000 years old indeed and anything that proves other wise is put there by god to test your faith....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Gauss wrote: »
    There is no arrogance on my part.

The title of your thread tends to suggest otherwise.

The title of your thread tends to suggest otherwise.
    Or it could just be an unfortunate phrasing. What ever works for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

gbee wrote: »
    We might not actually exist at all. That theory is as scary as is the continually expanding universe and multiple universes spontaneously flashing into existence ... or [just] an electronic spark in a human mind .....

What if you consider the thought that people are asleep and when they die they wake up.

This life is nothing but an extended dream. (This was said well before The Matrix).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

[-0-] wrote: »
    On the contrary, not helping someone and leaving it up to God is a terribly bad thing and is often done by Jehova's witnesses.
    I was not talking about not helping someone because of a belief system
    [-0-] wrote: »
    False hope is not a good thing.

depends on circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I heard there is no room in heaven these days as the place has become full of trillions and trillions of animals. Imagine every insect ever swatted in the history of time buzzing around for eternity in the fullest of health? I dont fancy taking a walk over to see Jimmy Hendrix and John Lennon headlining a gig only to be attacked by a herd of 300 billion leopards.

The collective noun for Leopards is a 'Leap', though if you were to be attacked by 300 billion of the fukcers then I suppose it woudn't really matter. Though hang on, can you be killed in heaven, or are you just mauled for eternity?

Come in, Doctors Moody and Van Lommel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Calibos wrote: »
    Most atheists don't think all religious people are stupid or intellectually inferior. They are however inferior in critical thinking or superior in compartmentalisation.

Thats like saying "Now while bob is not a prick, bob is actually a prick you know"

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

gbee wrote: »
    Yes it was, I'm proud of it and I'd do it again.

Wow I always wondered where the dickheads I meet in day to day life came from now I know:rolleyes:

Dickheads: you know... The ones who think their superior to everyone else but are not... you know the ones that look down their noses at people that have different beliefs to them....you know the ones nobody likes?

Well done you:rolleyes:

You all set for Christmas yet?? You know the religious event you and your family decided you wanted to be a part of?? your ridiculous:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

otto_26 wrote: »
    Wow I always wondered where the dickheads I meet in day to day life came from now I know:rolleyes:

Dickheads: you know... The ones who think their superior to everyone else but are not... you know the ones that look down their noses at people that have different beliefs to them....you know the ones nobody likes?

You all set for Christmas yet?? You know the religious event you and your family decided you wanted to be a part of?? your ridiculous:rolleyes:

They say it takes one to know one - dickhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

marienbad wrote: »
    They say it takes one to know one - dickhead

They do yes, that's why you called me a dickhead.

Dickhead:rolleyes:

otto_26 wrote: »

Indeed the pagan event.. HAPPY SANTY SOLSTICE EVERYONE!!!!

Calibos wrote: »
    Most atheists don't think all religious people are stupid or intellectually inferior. They are however inferior in critical thinking or superior in compartmentalisation.

BTW, I can't believe someone trotted out the 'Atheists were rebelious teens/following a fad" argument. The ultimate irony is that religion is the ultimate fad following. Ultimately when you have demolished every argument/'evidence' they have, you end up with, "Well, billions of people believed for thousands of years so there must be something in it"

I'll never understand the cognitive dissonance whereby someone stating, "I don't believe and heres why" or countering the so called evidence behind the religious counter argument is arrogance and disrespect, but that wanting to impose the rules of your religion on others, (Ban gay marriage etc) is not considered arrogant??????
    Thats like saying "Now while bob is not a prick, bob is actually a prick you know"

Calibos could also be read as, 'Atheists are inferior in compartmentalisation or superior in critical thinking', so there you go, Yin and Yang, swings and roundabouts, "How am I doing Calibos?", tweedledum and tweedledee,"Calibos, I'm floundering here" er, Oasis and Blur,"Fukc me Calibos, finish your tea and get your arse in here pronto "B.A. Baracus and B.A.Robertson, the Scottish singer with the long face....
    Tell me this, can you still buy 'indulgences'?
    Does 'Limbo' still exist?
    Does a Duck-Billed Platypus have a soul, as it seems to have everything else?
    Who's Bob?
    "Calibos, you're a rotter".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Indeed the pagan event.. HAPPY SANTY SOLSTICE EVERYONE!!!!
    Hang about. I also observe Saturday and sometimes dont even go to work and Im not a believer in saturn as a god. Please tell me how i can avoid this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Hang about. I also observe Saturday and sometimes dont even go to work and Im not a believer in saturn as a god. Please tell me how i can avoid this?

Meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

My lover got no money he's got his strong believes

Until this weekend just gone, I thought he got his trumbaleese!

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Meh
    But if I deal with Christmas in the same off hand manner can i still take part in its very Christian aspects, drinking, bringing in ever green plants, over eating, having Santy come, the solstice etc??

But if I deal with Christmas in the same off hand manner can i still take part in its very Christian aspects, drinking, bringing in ever green plants, over eating, having Santy come, the solstice etc??

Yes, yes you can. All except the solstice for obvious astronomical reasons.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Yes, yes you can. All except the solstice for obvious astronomical reasons.
    Dont tell me what I can or cannot believe in. Arrogant smug asolsticeist!!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

^Well Adam was the first human on earth and the first human God spoke to...

And I have my believes. What's so surprising about it?
    I thought we had already established it that we have different believes.

the problem people have with you is that your using bible and opinion as fact.

you're stubborn with your beliefs. blind faith is a foolish and frankly ignorant thing. you're argument for your belief is basically "because i said so".

it shows that you are very unnerved about there being no afterlife, and you hope that blind faith will make it true.

do you admit that you would have a different religion if you were born in a different time and/or place? do you also admit that you would believe that religion as much as your current one?

• Advertisement

I can almost hear the shutters coming down on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

geetar wrote: »
    the problem people have with you is that your using bible and opinion as fact.

you're stubborn with your beliefs. blind faith is a foolish and frankly ignorant thing. you're argument for your belief is basically "because i said so".

it shows that you are very unnerved about there being no afterlife, and you hope that blind faith will make it true.

do you admit that you would have a different religion if you were born in a different time and/or place? do you also admit that you would believe that religion as much as your current one?

Well, i'll say its faith more than fact. Yes you cannot use science to prove these things but you just need to beleive them and if it makes your life better, then what's the problem with that?

No, I'm not unnerved about there being no afterlife, although I could say I'ld be unnerved about there be no point to life and morality being completely relative. I wouldn't call my faith blind though. I have my proves. Just because they can't be expressed as mathematical equations doesn't mean they are false.

I do believe if I was born in a different time and place I might have believed in a different religion. I can say there was a point a few years ago where I did have my doubts which lead me to search for answers like most of ye did. The only difference is I found my answers back in religion rather than outside of religion and now I have enough conviction to believe in a God and an afterlife.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 373 ✭✭Internet Hero

nobody here realised there is no god ,they just decided they dont believe anymore. you dont know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

nobody here realised there is no god ,they just decided they dont believe anymore. you dont know

No one can really know anything I guess.
    But I know there is no god, as much as I know I live in Ireland, it is night time, I have two hands etc...

No one can really know anything I guess.
    But I know there is no god, as much as I know I live in Ireland, it is night time, I have two hands etc...

haha no. you are just juggling standards of evidence around there. apotheosis :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

This is exactly what I've been saying about the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It lives in all of us forever.
    No one is born believing in God. They're told about it. And not everyone that is told about it believes it in the first place. And which God do you think you're referring to? You troll every thread so I don't know why I'm bothering. It's a man made mythology that has out lived its purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Shryke wrote: »
    This is exactly what I've been saying about the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It lives in all of us forever.
    No one is born believing in God. They're told about it. And not everyone that is told about it believes it in the first place. And which God do you think you're referring to? You troll every thread so I don't know why I'm bothering. It's a man made mythology that has out lived its purpose.

im not refering to any particular god, all im sayin is you dont know, because you dont. simple

im not refering to any particular god, all im sayin is you dont know, because you dont. simple

But lads in the Middle East knew around 2000 years ago. I swear, they even wrote books about it. Non fictional books.

• Advertisement

Nope, afraid not lad. You're condensing the old grey matter a bit too much on this one. You're thinking there is some kind of complexity beyond you and you're putting some big question mark on it with a rough label of God, and you're doing this only through cultural conditioning that has you thinking this unfathomable idea exists in the first place.
    So if it's not any particular God you'll entertain that it could be The Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Nope, afraid not lad. You're condensing the old grey matter a bit too much on this one. You're thinking there is some kind of complexity beyond you and you're putting some big question mark on it with a rough label of God, and you're doing this only through cultural conditioning that has you thinking this unfathomable idea exists in the first place.
    So if it's not any particular God you'll entertain that it could be The Flying Spaghetti Monster?

it could be any god, something that has never been mentioned once. you dont know, dont tell me what im thinking because you dont know that either. you dont know how any of this works and nobody else does so dont start getting smart and acting like you have sh1t figured out because thats just nonsense to make u feel superior.

it could be any god, something that has never been mentioned once. you dont know, dont tell me what im thinking because you dont know that either. you dont know how any of this works and nobody else does so dont start getting smart and acting like you have sh1t figured out because thats just nonsense to make u feel superior.

I know what you think you know or more like what you think you don't. It's hypocritical to tell me that I don't know something when you don't know what I know and then tell me that I don't know what you think. :pac:

"Any of this?" Oh my. Did you just get here from the dark ages?

You think a certain point of view on religion makes someone seem smug or superior? That's just the chip on your shoulder. With what you're coming out with I wouldn't go throwing the word nonsense around.

I know what you think you know or more like what you think you don't. It's hypocritical to tell me that I don't know something when you don't know what I know and then tell me that I don't know what you think. :pac:

"Any of this?" Oh my. Did you just get here from the dark ages?

You think a certain point of view on religion makes someone seem smug or superior? That's just the chip on your shoulder. With what you're coming out with I wouldn't go throwing the word nonsense around.

your going on about me being from the dark ages and other typical condescending rubbish, thats the tone you have and that is why i am saying you are trying to act superior, because you are, you think you have it figured out, but you dont. im not even talking about religion, you think your richard dawkins talking to some catholic priest here, so pathetic. you dont know what the universe is, you dont know how it works apart from some bits and pieces and nobody else does. you and nobody else is qualified to say they know theres no god. stop pretending and stop for fcuks sake with the condescending rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

your going on about me being from the dark ages and other typical condescending rubbish, thats the tone you have and that is why i am saying you are trying to act superior, because you are, you think you have it figured out, but you dont. im not even talking about religion, you think your richard dawkins talking to some catholic priest here, so pathetic. you dont know what the universe is, you dont know how it works apart from some bits and pieces and nobody else does. you and nobody else is qualified to say they know theres no god. stop pretending and stop for fcuks sake with the condescending rubbish

Atheism does not make a claim of knowledge.

I'm pretty sure no one on this thread would claim to know, with absolute certainty. That's missing the point significantly. The difference is, we're happy to admit that. But religious people claim to know for a fact that god exists. Not all. But many. Certainly more than atheists who would claim as fact that god does not exist. So much for arrogance and condescension, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Atheism does not make a claim of knowledge.

I'm pretty sure no one on this thread would claim to know, with absolute certainty. That's missing the point significantly. The difference is, we're happy to admit that. But religious people claim to know for a fact that god exists. Not all. But many. Certainly more than atheists who would claim as fact that god does not exist. So much for arrogance and condescension, eh?

Did you read the title of the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

haha no. you are just juggling standards of evidence around there. apotheosis :)

You sure love that word.

All you can do is call names and tell me that I don't know that fairy tales aren't real. That a gigantic penis monster didn't jizz the universe out of its flute.
    You're being condescending to anyone that doesn't buy your hokey.

My dark ages comment was made in my last post, after you accused me of acting superior. Did you use your time machine to get upset ahead of schedule? Um.

If you believe in the spaghetti monster and the divine Bolognese then good for you, don't try cramming your random creationist ideas into other peoples heads or demand that they must be wrong. It's a smug superior attitude don't you know.

I don't think you're a priest or anything, just fyi.

All you can do is call names and tell me that I don't know that fairy tales aren't real. That a gigantic penis monster didn't jizz the universe out of its flute.
    You're being condescending to anyone that doesn't buy your hokey.

My dark ages comment was made in my last post, after you accused me of acting superior. Did you use your time machine to get upset ahead of schedule? Um.

If you believe in the spaghetti monster and the divine Bolognese then good for you, don't try cramming your random creationist ideas into other peoples heads or demand that they must be wrong. It's a smug superior attitude don't you know.

I don't think you're a priest or anything, just fyi.

that sure reads like you dont have much to back up any of your posturing. your just misrepresenting things and trying to be funny, all with that same condescending tone youve had all along. its pretty much a slam dunk, your done.

that sure reads like you dont have much to back up any of your posturing. your just misrepresenting things and trying to be funny, all with that same condescending tone youve had all along. its pretty much a slam dunk, your done.

I'm taking it that you're 17/18 so I'll stop messing with you since you tell me i'm done, and since you're passed making sense or responding to anything. I'll start to feel bad.
    Best of luck with your journey toward enlightenment. Night night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Why do mods allow threads like these posted in after hours? :confused: What about the Atheism & Agnosticism forum?

Sure dont threads that arent suitable for AH get closed or moved? lets look to page one of after hours. Person recently asked a question about a fas course and it got moved to the State Benefit forums.

Question, if someone was to create a pro-religion or god thread in AH... would it not get moved :rolleyes: Double standards afoot here me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Has your outlook changed since realising there is no spoon?
    Why do mods allow threads like these posted in after hours? What about the Atheism & Agnosticism forum?

Sure dont threads that arent suitable for AH get closed or moved? lets look to page one of after hours. Person recently asked a question about a fas course and it got moved to the State Benefit forums.

Question, if someone was to create a pro-religion or god thread in AH... would it not get moved Double standards afoot here me thinks.

The atheism and agnosticism crowd go through phases.. they'd be quiet for a few months and a slew of articles from Dawkins and what have you would come in and they'd build up confidence. Then after a few weeks their confidence and activity levels would reach an all time high and they'd be comfortable enough with coming into AH and maybe a few other forums to spew out their shoite. This would go well for them for a while and soon enough people will get sick of them and they'd go back to A&A for a good self-fellating session before they'd build up the confidence to go on the attack again.

Although I'm convinced at this stage October and November are the peak of activity for these boyos. Which happen to be the two most depressing months of the year.. This leads me to believe they're not all that comfortable with the thought of dieing at all despite their claims that atheists are more at peace than religious lads on their death beds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

eth0 wrote: »

The atheism and agnosticism crowd go through phases.. they'd be quiet for a few months and a slew of articles from Dawkins and what have you would come in and they'd build up confidence. Then after a few weeks their confidence and activity levels would reach an all time high and they'd be comfortable enough with coming into AH and maybe a few other forums to spew out their shoite. This would go well for them for a while and soon enough people will get sick of them and they'd go back to A&A for a good self-fellating session before they'd build up the confidence to go on the attack again.

Although I'm convinced at this stage October and November are the peak of activity for these boyos. Which happen to be the two most depressing months of the year.. This leads me to believe they're not all that comfortable with the thought of dieing at all despite their claims that atheists are more at peace than religious lads on their death beds.
    All the poles I've seen here would indicate it's the theists that are in the minority. Also, in the thread, "What motor do you drive?" you don't see non-motorists going apeshit at the suggestion that everyone drives (well at least at the time I stopped reading it).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

eth0 wrote: »

The atheism and agnosticism crowd go through phases.. they'd be quiet for a few months and a slew of articles from Dawkins and what have you would come in and they'd build up confidence.

(Dawkins is their God)

Then after a few weeks their confidence and activity levels would reach an all time high and they'd be comfortable enough with coming into AH and maybe a few other forums to spew out their shoite.

(ah yes, the sexy forums. yummy)

This would go well for them for a while and soon enough people will get sick of them and they'd go back to A&A for a good self-fellating session before they'd build up the confidence to go on the attack again.

(isn't that spelled fellatio?)

It's true. Atheists hate dying. They really do. You got 'em there. You really do.
    So, xmas huh? Santa, snow flakes, sleigh bells, the lot. hope i get the pressie i want this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

humbert wrote: »
    All the poles I've seen here would indicate it's the theists that are in the minority. Also, in the thread, "What motor do you drive?" you don't see non-motorists going apeshit at the suggestion that everyone drives (well at least at the time I stopped reading it).

On here anyway. Before the election you would have thought from reading on here that FF would get no seats or maybe 1-3 seats at a push. Still the atheist crowd would wait till the chest-beating and circle-jerking in A&A would reach a certain level before they'd try to convert the rest of the minority.

We used to get our fair share of "non-motorists" in the motors forum and they were a fooking torment as well. Though you wouldn't see too many of them when the weather got cold so they went through phases as well. There was one notorious non-motorist troll in the motors forum and **** it he was a right gobsh1te altogether. Seemed to be outright against the idea that a man would be pushed forward along the road by a contraption with an engine that he owned and controlled himself.
    ArtSmart wrote: »
    So, xmas huh? Santa, snow flakes, sleigh bells, the lot. hope i get the pressie i want this year.

All I'm hoping for is a good solid dose of snow. Never mind pressies, ould consumerist shoite made in China

You can't seem to open many AH threads these days without someone mentioning what they believe or don't believe in, it's getting as bad as "thinly veiled".:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You can't seem to open many AH threads these days without someone mentioning what they believe or don't believe in, it's getting as bad as "thinly veiled".:(
    that's a thin- em, er, ...

anyway,
    riddle me this. where do pressies come from if there's no Santa? hmm?

ArtSmart wrote: »
    that's a thin- em, er, ...

anyway,
    riddle me this. where do pressies come from if there's no Santa? hmm?

Probably SVDP.:P

getting smart and acting like you have sh1t figured out because thats just nonsense to make u feel superior.

TBH, this is just a very tired argument. You've become defensively aggressive despite your open quest for knowledge.

Fact is that some people do know, other people don't know, it's not done to make them look or feel better.

Look back in the middle ages science was telling us the world was round at a time the godless Vikings had been trading with Canada across the North Atlantic.

Catholic Spanish sailor were told the Earth was center of the universe and that it was flat ~ they were told by the ruling class at the time, a version of the Catholic Church and the Church was unreservedly believed by the fishermen and sailors.

A near godless sea captain eventually defied his king and country and had to suppress mutinies from his God-fearing crews to 'offically' discover America from Europe and he brought great wealth to his adopted land and benefactors.

Your like one of Christopher's sailors, except you are in his boat by choice because you are excited by the possibilities of discover, freedom and enlightenment. But it's your choice, you asked to be part of the voyage. Now you're like a conscript crew member in mutiny.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Probably SVDP.:P

Actually, they did bring Christmas to my home one year when my children were in primary school.

I presume they mistook my stand on Santa and they brought a tree, lights, angel, turkey, biscuits, toys and sweets.

I was embarrassed and tried to explain but they are trained to ignore people and nothing stops them doing their good deed. We already had the food and children as usual had bought their own presents and for each other which would be a surprise and my wife and I always added 'family' presents, so we weren't that bad.

But yes, SVDP do, so if you've a spare few bob, buy a present and drop in into your local centre, they are a very well meaning charity which I've tried to make up to over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I don't give to Vinny De Paul and I never will. Different debate I suppose

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement