Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has your outlook changed since realising there is no God?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Meh.

No one will ever be really able to tell, prove or disprove god's existence will they? Big bang theory solved or not. When you look up at the sky, your seeing millions and billions of other planets and stars and far away galaxies. Who knows how they were created ?

I've still yet to be convinced or have a passionate belief, but living your life to a code according to the wishes of an unknown, abstract figure is ridiculous. No matter what you believe in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

gbee wrote: »
    They are actually and very appreciate of their other upbringing as well in their diet, which would go very OT but my youngest had perfect teeth and no fillings at his last Government Health check up prior to his leaving primary school.

I have a friend - she's in her early 40s and she's never had a filling in her life either. She's catholic, believes in living life to the full, loves Santa, eats sweets and carrot cake likes its going out of fashion and is one on the best, kindest and most genuine people I know. And she would never, ever, ever consider herself to be superior to anyone in this lifetime. So sorry, your theory isn't right in that instance :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Forgive the armchair psychology but you sound like you have some deep seated issues involving your parents that goes well beyond the "lies" they told you.

I think 'barstool psychology' more apt for such a 'challenging observation'.
    Are the pubs open yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Rasheed wrote: »
    I don't understand you, you think if you let your child believe in Santa for 7+ years, they would believe for life???

If culturally supported, then yes. Santa himself is not the target, the target is honesty and trust.

Children need solid parents. Parents should not lie, the story of Santa or God is just that, a story. The story can be enjoyed as we enjoy theatre and movies, and parents need to be watchful that these stories are not being taken as real, like Batman flying or today it'd be Harry Potter ~ it's a story, knowing so does not stop one's enjoyment of same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Lads, look what you've done. I'm after getting ads for scientology.org in After Hours :(

One of the 5 religion forums not good enough for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Feathers wrote: »
    Lads, look what you've done. I'm after getting ads for scientology.org in After Hours :(

Xenu is omniscient and omnipresent. You can run from him, but you can't hide anywhere - not even in AH.:):):):)

your parents that goes well beyond the "lies" they told you.

Nope. None of it. Father passed away before I was five my Mother did an extraordinary job in raising a large family, I was second last born December 1954.

It was the lies, ably abetted by society at large, the only fighting was over the Rosary, evening confession, early morning communion, mass and saying the Angelus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

If culturally supported, then yes. Santa himself is not the target, the target is honesty and trust.

Children need solid parents. Parents should not lie, the story of Santa or God is just that, a story. The story can be enjoyed as we enjoy theatre and movies, and parents need to be watchful that these stories are not being taken as real, like Batman flying or today it'd be Harry Potter ~ it's a story, knowing so does not stop one's enjoyment of same.

Fair enough, it's your choice how you raise your children, I think we'll agree to disagree.

By the way, I wouldn't encourage your children with the 'superior' idea.

It is their right to believe what they like but saying other children are inferior because they don't agree is not on.

Rasheed wrote: »
    I wouldn't encourage your children with the 'superior' idea..

My children are grown up now, it was their own story, nothing of the kind was promoted at the time and never came up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

I actually lose a little bit of respect for people when I find out they're religious. I was at a funeral recently and I was genuinely embarrassed for everyone there. Standing and kneeling for some fictional character at a click of the priests fingers. It's disgusting. It's fine believing in what ever it is when you're young, but in my opinion if you go on past 12 or 13 without questioning what was shoved down your throat from birth you're an idiot. Just look at the sky on a clear night, see the milky way, all the different planets and stars. God made all that? Bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

keithg89 wrote: »
    I actually lose a little bit of respect for people when I find out they're religious. I was at a funeral recently and I was genuinely embarrassed for everyone there. Standing and kneeling for some fictional character at a click of the priests fingers. It's disgusting. It's fine believing in what ever it is when you're young, but in my opinion if you go on past 12 or 13 without questioning what was shoved down your throat from birth you're an idiot. Just look at the sky on a clear night, see the milky way, all the different planets and stars. God made all that? Bollocks.

Question yourself. Why can there not be an atheism where you respect other people's beliefs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Get over yourself.

Because that belief is lunacy. It's so far beyond logic it's not even remotely believable. In my opinion of course.

Get over yourself.
    Great argument. Thanks very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Great argument. Thanks very much
    Youre at a funeral and youre there judging and sneering at the mourners for observing some traditions, fücking cüntish behaviour, too much fapping to Richard Dawkins that's your trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I was brought up religion-less. Sooo...never really realised there was no God!

Thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

philologos wrote: »
    How exactly is the God of Israel a "dick"? :confused:

Well, here is God's kill count. A grand total of over 2 million deaths (and that's excluding plagues, floods and other natural disasters).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Youre at a funeral and youre there judging and sneering at the mourners for observing some traditions, fücking cüntish behaviour, too much fapping to Richard Dawkins that's your trouble.

They are traditions designed to keep people conforming. (i.e. It's controlling behaviour.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Wow, the thought police have arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

They are traditions designed to keep people conforming. (i.e. It's controlling behaviour.)

I'm sure 'the people' can make up their own minds though.

Chill the beans. Typical religious nut. I don't even know who Richard Dawkins is. Most of them were family I'm allowed judge them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

philologos wrote: »
    You know, I had a guy say that to me at the pub before. I asked him, what would you expect God's standards to be if He did exist?

It largely came down to be true to yourself, and don't be a tool to another?

What does that look like, in a universe where there is a God? Well, being true to yourself involves acknowledging your place within God's creation, and don't be a tool to another by and large would involve living by His moral law.

So essentially we have what Jesus said - Love the Lord your God with all your heart with all your soul and with all your strength, and love your neighbour as yourself.

How exactly is the God of Israel a "dick"? :confused:
    Ahh, now come on. The Old Testament is a how to manual on dickishness. Flood the world, send immortal beings to earth to slaughter innocents, sick a bear on bunch of chav kids etc. Unless all those things are only rhetorical, but if they are, how is that determined?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I don't see what's wrong with letting people believe what they want.
    Abusing people over what they believe or don't relive is just intolerance of the highest degree.
    I foolishly thought Atheists just didn't believe in god and got on with their lives, many however seem to have brought a whole anti-god stance to life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

I always laughed at the though to being a catholic or a protestant or Jew, Hindu etc. People actually believe they have it right when in reality their entire belief system is a product of chance. If the pope was took to Pakistan while a baby he would undoubtedly be a Muslim, and believe Catholics to be bat **** crazy. With this simple knowledge the idea of religion is untenable.

bbam wrote: »
    Abusing people over what they believe or don't relive is just intolerance of the highest degree.
    I foolishly thought Atheists just didn't believe in god and got on with their lives, many however seem to have brought a whole anti-god stance to life.
    I don't do it in real life but who doesn't love a good row about religion :p

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »

For the most part we don't push our lack of belief unless the topic comes up. In this country though, you can't just get on with your life as an atheist, there is Catholic rhetoric everywhere, dictating everything from what children learn in school to social policy.

Because that belief is lunacy. It's so far beyond logic it's not even remotely believable. In my opinion of course.

But imagine their are some who think your opinion is wrong. But they don't look down on you or call you foolish.

Maybe think that everybody is on their own path of discovery.

Ahh, now come on. The Old Testament is a how to manual on dickishness. Flood the world, send immortal beings to earth to slaughter innocents,

Actually, funny enough as it sounds, the Old Testament is more a history book IMHO.

A lot of what is mentioned happened, but not in the childish way it is written. IMO, people from another planet came to our Earth and after doing their abductions and tests and so on, left us with a book of the world but they wrote it in childish language hoping that one day we'd understand it and perhaps gleam something from it.

I especially like the Adam & Eve story ~ too long to go into here, suffice to say that all the people on the planet share two distinct DNA markers, they are called the Eve and Adam markers as from the time Eve was born with a genetic DNA flaw or mutation, and thousand of years later, Adam was born with another genetic mutation, once these were combined from two separate lines or families of very early man, they remain the ONLY ones alive to this day.

Hence the Adam & Eve story, which the Catholic Church threw out, may in fact have much truth in it, though not as written.

But imagine their are some who think your opinion is wrong. But they don't look down on you or call you foolish.

You obviously are not an atheist that has spoken with a religious person.

They do look at us smugly thinking "I get to paradise and you don't" though.

Never mind the fact that they think a logical opinion is wrong based on a fallacies.

Whatever about god and whether there is or isn't one, but to believe in an actual RELIGION is completely insane, they are made up by man to control man.

• Advertisement

gallag wrote: »
    I always laughed at the though to being a catholic or a protestant or Jew, Hindu etc. People actually believe they have it right when in reality their entire belief system is a product of chance. If the pope was took to Pakistan while a baby he would undoubtedly be a Muslim, and believe Catholics to be bat **** crazy. With this simple knowledge the idea of religion is untenable.

What do you think to the argument put forth earlier in this thread, that people believe in God, and many do, and are not part of any religion. What do you think about that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Typical village idiot atheist thread about their lack of belief, nothing new then.

What do you think to the argument put forth earlier in this thread, that people believe in God, and many do, and are not part of any religion. What do you think about that?

I think it's stupid, just not quite as stupid. Why believe in God if you have no teachings around him to believe in? What tenets do you follow? If you believe in God for the sake of wanting there to be a God it makes no sense.

Manach wrote: »
    Typical village idiot atheist thread about their lack of belief, nothing new then.

The adjectives would leave an educated person to assume that said adjectives were self professing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Do you look down on anybody?

Would you look down on a scientologist ?

They do look at us smugly thinking "I get to paradise and you don't" though.

Never mind the fact that they think a logical opinion is wrong based on a fallacies.

Whatever about god and whether there is or isn't one, but to believe in an actual RELIGION is completely insane, they are made up by man to control man.

Some religions are indeed.I believe some religions started up with good intentions but got overtaken by man to control man. But if you look back at the start of these religions, the key figures whom they were based around: the key message is always: love and be kind to each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Like convincing your kids that Santa is real, and threatening them that if they don't behave they'll get no presents.

You've got to love the cognitive dissonance displayed by some people, where one thing is viewed as the norm and acceptable yet the other is viewed as insane.

smcgiff wrote: »
    Do you look down on anybody?

Would you look down on a scientologist ?

No, I wouldn't look down on a Scientologist. I dont believe in their religion but maybe it might be a good lesson for whomever the person involved is in discovering whom they really are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Like convincing your kids that Santa is real, and threatening them that if they don't behave they'll get no presents.

You've got to love the cognitive dissonance displayed by some people, where one thing is viewed as the norm and acceptable yet the other is viewed as insane.

Ah but belief in Santa is "magical" for children. Apparently.

Some religions are indeed.I believe some religions started up with good intentions but got overtaken by man to control man. But if you look back at the start of these religions, the key figures whom they were based around: the key message is always: love and be kind to each other.

It doesn't matter in the slightest what they started as. For the most part Judeo-Christian religions preach hate and vitriol. The people in charge have for years caused atrocities. There hearts being in the right place is not a good enough excuse.

I'd agree to a point, but Santa is a fairy tale that kids are told the truth about eventually. I don't have kids so I can't say if I'll use Santa if I ever have them. Though I know I won't be baptising them or celebrating any Catholic holiday. (They'll get presents and Chocolate eggs for the holidays, but under no illusions that it's because I love them.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

They'll get presents and Chocolate eggs for the holidays, but under no illusions that it's because I love them.

God forbid they would think that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Manach wrote: »

Why do you equate atheists with village idiots?:confused::confused:

Do you happen to know any village idiots who are atheists?

In traditional Irish rural society, people who were "a bit touched" used to be called duine le dia - literally "people with God".:D:D

Maybe the older generations were on to something.:)

It doesn't matter in the slightest what they started as. For the most part Judeo-Christian religions preach hate and vitriol. The people in charge have for years caused atrocities. There hearts being in the right place is not a good enough excuse.

I'd agree to a point, but Santa is a fairy tale that kids are told the truth about eventually. I don't have kids so I can't say if I'll use Santa if I ever have them. Though I know I won't be baptising them or celebrating any Catholic holiday. (They'll get presents and Chocolate eggs for the holidays, but under no illusions that it's because I love them.)

But it does matter if we are saying that some religions got lost along the way from the original message they were meant to convey. It is good to see what the original message was, realise it has got lost and that the current state of religions are not what they could be. Now that's a good thing to analyse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Actually, funny enough as it sounds, the Old Testament is more a history book IMHO.

A lot of what is mentioned happened, but not in the childish way it is written. IMO, people from another planet came to our Earth and after doing their abductions and tests and so on, left us with a book of the world but they wrote it in childish language hoping that one day we'd understand it and perhaps gleam something from it.

I especially like the Adam & Eve story ~ too long to go into here, suffice to say that all the people on the planet share two distinct DNA markers, they are called the Eve and Adam markers as from the time Eve was born with a genetic DNA flaw or mutation, and thousand of years later, Adam was born with another genetic mutation, once these were combined from two separate lines or families of very early man, they remain the ONLY ones alive to this day.

Hence the Adam & Eve story, which the Catholic Church threw out, may in fact have much truth in it, though not as written.
    There's not all that much of a mystery to mitochondrial Eve. Early human populations passed through several bottlenecks in the past, that's it. Trying to collerate it with the Adam and Eve of the Bible is ludicrous. It was just a convenient label for the markers. You're incorrect to say that they're the only matri and patrilineal lines extant by the way. With the amount of chromosomal swapping that would occur in ten thousand generations the y-chromosome and female mitochondrion are simply statistically the least likely to undergo regular change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

No, I wouldn't look down on a Scientologist. I dont believe in their religion but maybe it might be a good lesson for whomever the person involved is in discovering whom they really are.

Your defense of any religion is very vague. You could apply it to any activity. This is an extreme example but it's also a sometimes used adage - that someone finds out what kind of person they are when they have to kill someone. Now is that a defense for murder?
    Far more importantly, a person precisely won't discover themselves while stewing in absurd lies that claim to divinity. They will lose themselves and replace any belief or respect in themselves with that of some nonsense.
    You're actually suggesting that Scientology is a good thing for confused people who aren't sure about themselves. I'm shocked tbh.

Simply put, I agree. I believe in something, not a bully god, but a higher plane of existence which mankind can achieve. I would think "god" would hate religion and the people that sing in church every week but drive cars and own homes that are far greater than they need while 2500 of their neighbors die every day from dehydration (99.99999 of religious people) would appear hypocritical.
    I think even by the bibles standards there are no Christians in this country, they would be helping the needy and making the most of their time on this planet which is just a test for haven. My favourite line in the bible is " a rich man has as much chance to enter haven as a camel does through the eye of a nedel.
    How can you own something like a house which could be sold to save lives when a shack would do? Surely a Christian must live with the bare essentials while his fellow man is dieting of hunger, surely the Vatican's and church of England obseign wealth is a sin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Let's have a look at some of this:
    Confab wrote: »
    Eyewitness testimony isn't considered reliable last week, let alone 2000 years ago. Are you seriously saying that the Bible is a credible and accurate document?

The Bible is a credible and a reliable document. The New Testament at least is the most reliable text in ancient history. Due to the sheer number of copies we have to compare we can see that there has been no significant alteration to the New Testament. As for the Hebrew Scriptures, the Jewish people have meticulously copied the Tanakh, and as a result we have a lot of copies of the Old Testament to look at.

By the by, most of ancient history, and even modern history is transmitted through accounts generally after witnessing events. The same is true of the New Testament in accounting the life, death, resurrection and ascension of Jesus. I'm more than happy to explain these points on the Gospel to anyone.

So yes, I believe the Bible is reliable and credible. The Bible offers the most credible explanation of the human condition and its present state that I've seen. Secular understandings either fob off the nature of wrongdoing, and underestimate the value of forgiveness. In terms of morality secular understandings are lacking, because they lack the big picture of objectivity that Christianity offers.
    If there is a god I hope he is not like the Christian god many believe in, what kind of person would build a society just to worship him, make fathers take a knive to his son to prove he does not love him more, to kill at will because he is not worshiped and to have fear of everlasting pain and suffering as motivation to love him. I reject this god.

Are you sure you actually know who the Christian God is?

God didn't build a society "just to worship" Him. I'm thankful to God because of what He has done for me. I live according to His standards because I acknowledge that they are what is best in Creation. Instead of stubbornly refusing to acknowledge Him and rebelling against Him as a result, instead I accept that God is right, and that God's way is truly better for me. I'm also immensely thankful for God sending Jesus to bring me back to Him, therefore I live with gratitude to God. I recount all the things that God has done, I understand that I never really deserved for Him to treat me in that way given that I spent so long treating Him and His way with contempt, and I am astounded at His mercy. Utterly astounded.

I presume by "make fathers take knives to their sons" you're referring to the Genesis 22 narrative with Abraham and Isaac. So many people fail to consider the significance of what God actually did there. I posted on this a few years ago:
    Another example would be Abraham and Isaac. Where God commands Abraham to offer Isaac. However, God stops him at the last minute. Why did God do this, it seems awfully cruel right? - Simply put it was to show Abraham that God was different. Other Middle Eastern tribes at that time, from a historical perspective did actually sacrifice their children. God was showing Abraham, that this isn't acceptable to Him.

God shows people right and wrong in different ways throughout peoples actions, and it is clear that these are in the Bible for a reason.

This is a topic that I've spent a lot of time dealing with on boards.ie already, and I'm more than happy to explain it again.
    tunedout wrote: »
    'Morals' can be explained just fine without that oul book written by a bunch of numpties. Without any 'moral code' a species would go extinct as they wouldn't be able to form complex relationships and societal structures which is a prerequisite for reproduction. Therefore we wouldn't be here to discuss moral codes if we didn't inherently have them in the first place. So it can be explained factually and logically by Evolution and Darwinism just fine, both of which are theories of years of research and study, verified by biological departments of top ranking universities.

How does "evolution and Darwinism" explain it? You need to do better than chucking scientific words in there. The extinction thesis doesn't explain altruistic behaviour by the by, or self sacrifice. If we lived entirely on a survival of the fittest principle, our morality would be based around self-preservation. This precludes the fact that very often. The right thing to do very very often is detrimental to us. Very often people have to take the flak for doing the right thing.

Instead of mentioning biology departments and "top ranking universities" perhaps you might want to explain what you're talking about?

Most of your post where it concerns what's Biblical simply chucks in ad-hominems without any logical basis for your claims. Claiming that people are "numpties" with no good reason isn't an intellectual way of dealing with a point. In fact the less ad-hominems you put in your posts, the better and the more cogent your argument tends to be. That's what I've found from experience.
    If you wish to prefer the explanation of 'morals' offered by a primitive, sexist, racist people who would crucify a man for having delusional beliefs then that's your choice.

I prefer the explanation of morality that doesn't involve postmodern relativism. I see simply around me that people hold to objective moral standards. When people are wronged, they don't argue that they are subjectively wronged. (I.E that it might be right for them). Rather people expect the other to know better? Why would we expect the other to know better if there wasn't any form of common standard between them? The same can be applied to international disputes, and even to human rights which are deemed to be unalienable. How can human rights be unalienable if we are the ones who give them, and we are the ones who can take them away? It doesn't make much logical sense when you chew it over.

Could you please back up why you think the authors of the Bible were racists or sexists? I'm more than happy to discuss this with you.
    Unfortunately, so have I.

I'd be really curious to discuss this with you. There's much that has been done in the name of Jesus that is lamentable. The distinction is that this is what people have done, it isn't a reason why people should reject Jesus or God and miss what He has done for all creation.

Again, entirely open to discussing this with you.
    Ahh, now come on. The Old Testament is a how to manual on dickishness. Flood the world, send immortal beings to earth to slaughter innocents, sick a bear on bunch of chav kids etc. Unless all those things are only rhetorical, but if they are, how is that determined?

Not really. That is if we are willing to read the Old Testament honestly, and as a whole. God gives life, and He has the authority to judge. When God has judged in Old Testament scripture, He has left people centuries to repent in most cases. This is also true of when God judges His own people Israel for abandoning His standards. In this age God has given us our lifetime to repent and come back to Him rather than stubbornly rejecting His loving rule over Creation.

If I look back over my attitude to God, and humanity's attitude towards Him as a whole from the beginning of Biblical revelation to the end, I think that His judgement is entirely valid and just.

I'll try respond to as many posts as I can later. If people feel that I've missed anything please PM me with a link to the post and I'll come back and cover it time permitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Why lie to them at all about it, and go on to attack others for instilling different beliefs in their own kids?

It's fcuking stupid. Many kids get told off when they dare to question how real Santa is.. that's hardly setting a good example to them or encouraging critical thought in their most formative of years. Both are as dumb as each other and it's laughable, ignorant and hypocritical for people to defend one while deriding the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

What hate and vitriol do I believe in?

What hate and vitriol does Jesus encourage me to do from the Gospel texts?

The more and more I read about Christianity on boards.ie from an anti-theist / atheist perspective, the more and more I just have to ask myself, do you know how Jesus encourages us to live on a Biblical level?

• Advertisement

In fact, can any "Christians" here explained to me how they have the time or spare cash to own/type on a computer? Is owning €250000 houses tantamount to murder in your gods eyes? Or will going to church and confession be enough to justify your existence when asked at the golden gates. I say naegh, you are no chritian, you are simply scared of your own mortality and looking for insurance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement