Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has your outlook changed since realising there is no God?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well, sorry for wasting your time then.
    I think you've hit bedrock dude. Give up the aul' diggin' now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Well, sorry for wasting your time then.
    Dont worry about it. Im on a long lunch break.
    Thought you had quit about 5 posts back though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

endacl wrote: »
    I think you've hit bedrock dude. Give up the aul' diggin' now.

What made you believe I've been digging something here?
    Dont worry about it. Im on a long lunch break.
    Thought you had quit about 5 posts back though?

That I did. Thanks for noticing.

Still here huh. More come backs than The Eagles, Status Quo and Jesus combined.;)

Still here huh. More come backs than The Eagles, Status Quo and Jesus combined.;)

I didn't know Jesus made a comeback...

That I did. Thanks for noticing.
    You could explain it to us guys but we wouldnt understand even if you did....which you wont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Aged 4 I asked my mum where priests came from. She told me that it was just a job for people who wanted to tell people about God. I replied "Don't they know its not real??"
    I thought God was just something you told children and I never really believed it. The strange thing is that Santa always confused me and I believed it was some kind of charity or mystery donor rather than just parents doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

When I was a Christian I was a grumpy bollox, now that I am an atheist….i still am a grumpy bollox.

Thought you were done?

The fact that you were digging a logical and philosophical hole for yourself led me to believe.....

...oh, what's the point. Life's too short. I'll respond to you when you find something to say.

No rush...

iDave wrote: »
    When I was a Christian I was a grumpy bollox, now that I am an atheist….i still am a grumpy bollox.
    Though probably a smug arrogant grumpy old bollox eh?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If there's one thing worse than annoying God botherers, it's smug atheist cúnts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

no longer believing in God is a bad thing.

you no longer have the option of getting on your knees and praying to god to stop some horrible thing from happening.

Lack of belief is not necessarily a good thing, faith gives you hope.

as a person who no longer believes in god i accept that religion gives the believer an ill founded hope. the problem is the times in your life that you need hope is probably the time that even an illfounded hope would be of some use.

J. Marston wrote: »
    If there's one thing worse than annoying God botherers, it's smug atheist cúnts.
    Welcome to the thread. Your input is valued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm a versatile firm believer

You could explain it to us guys but we wouldnt understand even if you did....which you wont

I would if I could get anything out of it.
    But I know from experience its just gonna be a waste of my time and energy so yeah, I really don't care whatever you guys say about me, its not like what you say is going to change the reality of things.

But I know from experience its just gonna be a waste of my time and energy so yeah, I really don't care whatever you guys say about me, its not like what you say is going to change the reality of things.
    Ain't that the truth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

Anyone who tries to shove their views down your throat, whether its religious or atheist, are on the same level

Still here huh?
    I think your version of reality and actual reality are seriously at odds.
    People giving written accounts of heaven despite the fact that no body has ever been there and back is what counts for reality in your world.

Its neanderthals who use horse crap generalisations as debate that bother me:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

sheesh wrote: »

you no longer have the option of getting on your knees and praying to god to stop some horrible thing from happening.

On the contrary, not helping someone and leaving it up to God is a terribly bad thing and is often done by Jehova's witnesses.

False hope is not a good thing.

Still here huh?
    I think your version of reality and actual reality are seriously at odds.
    People giving written accounts of heaven despite the fact that no body has ever been there and back is what counts for reality in your world.

Well if you believe God (who created heaven) gave the person enough of a description of heaven to give humans an idea what it is like, then for many the word of the messenger is enough.

But then if you don't believe in God in the first place, believing in heaven or not is a secondary matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I don't see why religious types are so peeved at athiests being smug in this life - surely the god people should be satisfied that the firey pit awaits the athiests in the next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Sky King wrote: »
    I don't see why religious types are so peeved at athiests being smug in this life - surely the god people should be satisfied that the firey pit awaits the athiests in the next?

It's an attempt at self validation.

Well if you believe God (who created heaven) gave the person enough of a description of heaven to give humans an idea what it is like, then for many the word of the messenger is enough.

But then if you don't believe in God in the first place, believing in heaven or not is a secondary matter.
    Belief in a god, goddess or multiple gods is not the issue. Its just that your particular god has no basis other than a heavily edited, many versioned book based upon the claims of goat herders from a primitive time when absolutely everything from the sun coming up to your favourite chicken dieing was explained via magic, superstition and religion. This is where you are drawing your man made discriptions of heaven from.

...about that quitting the thread. Hows that working out for ya?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

[-0-] wrote: »
    I wish he would have responded to this before holding his hands up and walking away.

Those sort of questions never sit right with me because people have free will. I can turn right or left right now and have a completely different day. So how can any purported God prevent a child molestor from molesting when the raw child molesting materials were there from birth? But if God controls you from birth then why does it happen at all? There being a benevolent God doesnt make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Charming.

[-0-] wrote: »
    I wish he would have responded to this before holding his hands up and walking away.
    He didnt walk away. Just when he held his hands up he placed them over his ears and went "LAlalalalalalalalalalalala god did it and I know this cos god said so lalalalalalala) The walking is yet to happen

sheesh wrote: »

as a person who no longer believes in god i accept that religion gives the believer an ill founded hope. the problem is the times in your life that you need hope is probably the time that even an illfounded hope would be of some use.

I would actually prefer to get on my feet and actually prevent things from happening. Sitting there praying is the human equivalent of sticking one's head in the sand ala a big chicken-sh1t ostrich.

"The world is terrible but God will save us" - take a look around Zebediah, i dont see too many being "saved"

Belief in a god, goddess or multiple gods is not the issue. Its just that your particular god has no basis other than a heavily edited, many versioned book based upon the claims of goat herders from a primitive time when absolutely everything from the sun coming up to your favourite chicken dieing was explained via magic, superstition and religion. This is where you are drawing your man made discriptions of heaven from.

...about that quitting the thread. Hows that working out for ya?

That's just what you believe.
    The God I believe in has nothing to do with the sun, goats, chickens, magic, supersition etc. apart from the fact he created it all.

God sent his messengers to tribes around the earth ever since humans walked on the planet. Each messenger conveying his message from God to his people till eventually over time the people would forget the message, corrupt it and move on, God would send his prophet to the next tribe and so there hasn't been a tribe on Earth whom God hasn't sent a messenger or a prophet to. Hence why you find similarities between the stories of "goat hearders" from all over the world throughout history. The only difference was how corrupt the individual stories got over time.

I never said I was going to quit the thread. I just said I wasn't going to waste my time arguing over religious matters and the existence of God anymore.

He didnt walk away. Just when he held his hands up he placed them over his ears and went "LAlalalalalalalalalalalala god did it and I know this cos god said so lalalalalalala) The walking is yet to happen

What else did you expect me to answer?

Its something called faith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

9959 wrote: »
    Charming.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

There being a benevolent God doesnt make sense.

Doesn't it? What part of suffer little children to cum onto me has you confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

gbee wrote: »
    I brought my children up with no God, no Santa.

Recently we had a family reunion and the subject came up, my children said they felt superior to the others who believed and the teachers tried to make them lie, after that failed they asked them not to say anything.

My daughter admitted to having believed in the Tooth Fairy as I had not expressly included the Tooth Fairy as non existent.

We had an otherwise normal time, Christmas had both the Crib and Santa, they were not #banned# it was a bit of fun and a nice thing to do as wanted.

If you brought up your child with the tooth fairy not added to your list then that's child abuse shame on you. Your child lived a lie growing up:rolleyes:

But why have Christmas? why have anything to do with Christmas what so ever?? Christmas has nothing to do with you or your family did you not tell them this?

As for your children feeling superior: What a lovely thing to instil into them!! "If others have different beliefs to you children you must always remember your beliefs are 100% correct and the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth" other people are just brain washed not like us! :rolleyes:

I'm not religious but certainly not brain washed like you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I didn't realise there was no god.

I realised that the Divine would be too vast to be understood within the confines of the human mind.

I also realised that Divinty and interest in the petty trespasses of the life crawling on this world were mutually exclusive.

if god would make you suffer forever because you didn't believe or questioned why you must suffer, then **** him - he's an asshole and the antithesis of Divine.

Doesn't it? What part of suffer little children to cum onto me has you confused?

Is that the God version of "If you cant deal with me at my worst then you dont deserve me at my best" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

I was a believer until quite late really- maybe around 20 when I finally gave up the (holy) ghost so to say.

Mainly because I was studying physics, but also increasingly I became anti-religious or anti-Catholic specifically the more I read about the history of the Catholic church - crusades, inquisition, Cathars, etc all the way up to modern history where we have the laundries and the paedophiles and the cover ups!

I've always been curious about it ever since really - it's a question for practising Catholics really:

If Jesus returned tomorrow, do you think he would be pleased about all the things the Catholic church has done in his name?

God sent his messengers to tribes around the earth ever since humans walked on the planet.QUOTE]
    Where in the freakin' hell do you get that from. That isnt even how the bible says it!!:eek:
    I think two thousand years ago was the start point for your religion and like its prequal which featured a particulary psyco version of a god it was all based in the same small patch in the middle east. Along with this time period and millennia before it have been a whole range of other beliefs, gods, goddesses etc. And to stretch it to when humans walked on the planet just beggars belief.

otto_26 wrote: »
    As for your children feeling superior: What a lovely thing to instil into them!! ..

Yes it was, I'm proud of it and I'd do it again.

God sent his messengers to tribes around the earth ever since humans walked on the planet.QUOTE]
    Where in the freakin' hell do you get that from. That isnt even how the bible says it!!:eek:
    I think two thousand years ago was the start point for your religion and like its prequal which featured a particulary psyco version of a god it was all based in the same small patch in the middle east. Along with this time period and millennia before it have been a whole range of other beliefs, gods, goddesses etc. And to stretch it to when humans walked on the planet just beggars belief.

^Well Adam was the first human on earth and the first human God spoke to...

And I have my believes. What's so surprising about it?
    I thought we had already established it that we have different believes.

And I have my believes. What's so surprising about it?
    I thought we had already established it that we have different believes.

My lover got no money he's got his strong believes

• Advertisement

Do you believe in Evolution?

RainMaker wrote: »

Its possible. Could be just the way God caused life to proliferate on the planet.
    Nothing against it.

If Jesus returned tomorrow, do you think he would be pleased about all the things the Catholic church has done in his name?

No. My take in ten seconds. Rome saw how popular Jesus was, they created the Holy Roman Catholic Church, the Roman Empire was a cesspit already and IMO the worst of them put on the robes and flash and are in situ to this day.

Christ's Church floundered and never really got started, in fighting and Roman treachery saw it off, Christ never actually started a Church and IMO Peter made up the bit about upon this rock, meaning upon Peter, but Christ's wife was equal and second in command and we know what Peter did to her.

Whoooa!!! Something freaky has happened in the quoteing. I didnt say that.
    I dont have 'beliefs' as in the believing something for sh1ts and giggles because it makes me feel all squishy inside. I do 'believe (i prefer 'accept) in evolution as the best explanation in the origins of man that we currently have. I dont believe in talking snakes.

I dont have 'beliefs' as in the believing something for sh1ts and giggles because it makes me feel all squishy inside. I do 'believe (i prefer 'accept) in evolution as the best explanation in the origins of man that we currently have. I dont believe in talking snakes.

Best scientific explanation...

You are right, it wasn't your quote! there's an erroneous quote tag in there somewhere!

I was just curious about the stance on evolution given the previous statement:
    "Well Adam was the first human on earth and the first human God spoke to..."
    - so what about Adam's pre-human father, or are we using a literal interpretation here in that God did actually create Adam from dirt?

Best scientific explanation...

as opposed to best non-scientific explanation??

^Not opposed to. More like complimentary to.
    You are right, it wasn't your quote! there's an erroneous quote tag in there somewhere!

I was just curious about the stance on evolution given the previous statement:
    "Well Adam was the first human on earth and the first human God spoke to..."
    - so what about Adam's pre-human father, or are we using a literal interpretation here in that God did actually create Adam from dirt?

Maybe God did create Adam from dirt. But then we are all created from nothing but dirt ultimately.
    What makes a person human and different from animals is that humans have a soul which is immortal. It is an entity which is seperate from the material and observable universe and when the body dies, the soul live on and moves into a different/higher realm.

So one could argue the first human (Adam) was the first creature that God installed a soul into.

Again this isn't science so if you find all of this gibberish, I won't hold it against you. But if you ask me for a better answer I don't think I have one. I obviously don't know everything.

Maybe God did create Adam from dirt. But then we are all created from nothing but dirt ultimately. .

Stardust. We are all cosmic children made from the trillions of billions of atoms and elements from exploding stars. Without those Supernova, nothing would be here.

• Advertisement

Stardust. We are all cosmic children made from the trillions of billions of atoms and elements from exploding stars. Without those Supernova, nothing would be here.

Indeed. Just a part of it all. Universe didn't begin with humans. Although universe as a metaphor can be argued to have begun in the imagination of the mind of a human.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement