Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has Johnny Foxes lost its charm?

Options
  • 14-10-2012 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

or did it ever have any?

I remember going to this place years ago and it was- good food and cosy.
    i went again about a month ago and wanted chips with the food but was coldly informed that they did not serve chips.

was there last night and the place was wedged to the rafters and they would have squashed in more if they could have. staff were irritably, mostly young and indifferent.

I know there are many ways to make a traditional stew, but I have never seen it served with a puff pastry crossant. is this experimental? well and good but do not call traditional and the menu.

no manager in sight but we did summon one, but he was very indifferent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Haven't been there in years, wouldn't consider it worth the time getting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I wonder do Irish people go there at all these days. there were a few at the bar in the sweltering heat but the vast majority seemed to the bus loads of tourists squashed in like sardines. it used to be handy as it was on a hiking route. a few antiques add charm but they overdo the decor in an oirish way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I go up for a dinner the odd time when it's quiet. Food great, the staff are not spectacular but nothing to complain about, lovely atmosphere. Always loads of Irish there.

Wouldn't go up on a weekend though, probably be packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I've never been a fan personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

I've never been a fan personally.

Nor I, The Step Inn would be my choice for nice grub and a pint :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Never been myself but hired someone recently who worked there, and I must say he was very well trained in regard to customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Went with a french visitor recently and I was so annoyed by the attitude of a particular staff member.We went to sit in the back bar where there was music which finished at 4 or 5 I couldnt remember.SO we sit down and gruff waitress asks "are you eating?" I said no were just listening to music we already had our drinks as had been sitting in other part of pub.Miss hospitality says "you cant sit there"..I ask why she says table is set for someone eating!!!:eek: WE sat at the end of empty rows as it was not busy at all and took some fotos etc.Table setting was a paper place setting and a knife and fork.THis lovely waitress was standing doing nothing!!!!! Meanwhile my husband joins us with my daughter and sits where we were moved from and she said nothing to him!!! She actually thought I was a visitor which makes this unreal!! Anyway we all decided not to eat there and be served by this lovely person, because we were going to but just not at that minute!! They lost business because of her and I would never bring a visitor there againI was brought up in the area and know it very well and indeed went there for many years.
    Sorry this is long winded but we then went to the BLue LIght another favourite haunt of mine from old.WE had the nicest pint of guiness and were treated to an outside session which was amazing,pints and king crisps:D Which one did my visitor prefer?? yep

larry1 wrote: »
    Nor I, The Step Inn would be my choice for nice grub and a pint :)

presumably in Stepaside? is it far off the track if you are on a hike?

snowbabe wrote: »
    Went with a french visitor recently and I was so annoyed by the attitude of a particular staff member.We went to sit in the back bar where there was music which finished at 4 or 5 I couldnt remember.SO we sit down and gruff waitress asks "are you eating?" I said no were just listening to music we already had our drinks as had been sitting in other part of pub.Miss hospitality says "you cant sit there"..I ask why she says table is set for someone eating!!!:eek: WE sat at the end of empty rows as it was not busy at all and took some fotos etc.Table setting was a paper place setting and a knife and fork.THis lovely waitress was standing doing nothing!!!!! Meanwhile my husband joins us with my daughter and sits where we were moved from and she said nothing to him!!! She actually thought I was a visitor which makes this unreal!! Anyway we all decided not to eat there and be served by this lovely person, because we were going to but just not at that minute!! They lost business because of her and I would never bring a visitor there againI was brought up in the area and know it very well and indeed went there for many years.
    Sorry this is long winded but we then went to the BLue LIght another favourite haunt of mine from old.WE had the nicest pint of guiness and were treated to an outside session which was amazing,pints and king crisps:D Which one did my visitor prefer?? yep

I know they can get narky on the continent if you go into a pub that serves food and you just want to drink, but Glencullen is not the continent.

the place has become a victim of its own success. I know a lot of people who used to sing its praises but now will not touch it with a barge pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

Fuinseog wrote: »
    presumably in Stepaside? is it far off the track if you are on a hike?

Correct, right in the heart of the village beside the Garda station. Not off the beaten track at all..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I like to cycle past Johnny Foxes..........alot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

would tend to avoid it... it did used to be a good spot but the last while has gone very downhill.
    I like the Step Inn too, that seems to be getting better and better over the last couple of years

I was just reading the comments on tripadvisor. The tourists love it, but know no better. a lot of Irish on seem to complain about rude staff. although it caters for the tourist market it does not attempt to accommodate non English speakers in any way.

i wonder what the Brennan brothers would make of the place? they would definitely suggest a declutter.

liliq wrote: »
    would tend to avoid it... it did used to be a good spot but the last while has gone very downhill.
    I like the Step Inn too, that seems to be getting better and better over the last couple of years

was this due to a change of management?
    maybe the staff are unfriendly because they are overworked, though when i was there they were thick on the ground. no managers about which generally means the staff do what they want.

was this due to a change of management?
    maybe the staff are unfriendly because they are overworked, though when i was there they were thick on the ground. no managers about which generally means the staff do what they want.

I'm not sure to be honest...
    There are probably some gems of staff there, but it's pot luck whether you're there when they're on.
    A lot of them just don't really give a crap. Tourists probably tip better so they might be saving the effort of putting on some charm for them :rolleyes:

liliq wrote: »
    I'm not sure to be honest...
    There are probably some gems of staff there, but it's pot luck whether you're there when they're on.
    A lot of them just don't really give a crap. Tourists probably tip better so they might be saving the effort of putting on some charm for them :rolleyes:

tourists are there to have a good time and will probably overlook rude staff and even tip them.
    when I there I saw them treating elderly tourists like crap. not everyone can speak fluent English and they were not making any allowances by speaking slowly and clearly. Trip advisor has a comment where the bar staff mock an elderly tourist who has broken English.

tourists are there to have a good time and will probably overlook rude staff and even tip them.
    when I there I saw them treating elderly tourists like crap. not everyone can speak fluent English and they were not making any allowances by speaking slowly and clearly. Trip advisor has a comment where the bar staff mock an elderly tourist who has broken English.

Show show thoroughly I read the thread to date.
    That's awful :( Whatever about not being overly friendly, a little respect doesn't take much effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Johnny Foxes lost its charm when Johnnie himself sold the place IMO

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Johnny Foxes lost its charm when Johnnie himself sold the place IMO

how far back was that uch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Was so disappointed with this place. Me and a mates walked the Dublin mts way from bohernabreena and ended here dying for a pint and some grub.

It's a pokey kip, jacks were filthy and tiny. Pints were overpriced and there was no bar food menu, most food was restaurant prices. We had one jar outside listening to a fella constantly blaring on the intercom and got a lift home. All I'll say is don't believe the hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

how far back was that uch?

About 1985

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Planet X wrote: »
    I like to cycle past Johnny Foxes..........alot. :)
    Claude?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

Johnny Foxes is for tourists only. That's where the (literal) dollar is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Foxes is too obviously venial and the service has become abysmal on my last two visits there to collect hikers. In fact, last time, they abandoned ship and met me in the carpark.

Among visitors to Ireland of both the dollar and sterling ilk, I've heard good reports of The Merry Ploughboys. Anyone tried it?

Advertisement