Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questoin On Registering A Business Name

Options
  • 14-10-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

(*Question)

Hi,

I'm currently attempting to set-up a web based business.
    I just have one question though.

What age do I need to be to register a business name?

Thanks for your time and hope someone can help me!
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

(*Question)

Hi,

I'm currently attempting to set-up a web based business.
    I just have one question though.

What age do I need to be to register a business name?

Thanks for your time and hope someone can help me!
    Sean

Do they even ask that question when you register on online?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ssimples09

There is no age limit, anyone can apply!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

ssimples09 wrote: »
    There is no age limit, anyone can apply!
    While (potentially, I haven't checked) technically true, I'd imagine there is more to this situation than just "can you apply".

(Happy to admit this isn't my area, so I'm raising this as a query rather than as a fact. Hopefully someone else can confirm/deny)

If you were to set up the business name and begin to carry out the work, as a minor would any contracts entered into by the OP be deemed null and void? (Presumably this would include the registration of the business name? So even though a RBN cert could be obtained, is it any better than one made at home with crayon?)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ActiveIreland

TsuDhoNimh wrote: »
    While (potentially, I haven't checked) technically true, I'd imagine there is more to this situation than just "can you apply".

(Happy to admit this isn't my area, so I'm raising this as a query rather than as a fact. Hopefully someone else can confirm/deny)

If you were to set up the business name and begin to carry out the work, as a minor would any contracts entered into by the OP be deemed null and void? (Presumably this would include the registration of the business name? So even though a RBN cert could be obtained, is it any better than one made at home with crayon?)

Sorry I'm not too good with business terms I'm still young and this is only my second year studying general business in school. But what your saying is that my RBN Cert wouldn't stand for anything because I'm a minor doing work? So all my contracts would be canceled as if they never happened? (void)

---
    Do they even ask that question when you register on online?

I'm sure somewhere on Core.ie they would ask you for your date of birth

Ps. Thanks for all the replies, this is really useful since the CRO phone line ain't open on the weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

But what your saying is that my RBN Cert wouldn't stand for anything because I'm a minor doing work? So all my contracts would be canceled as if they never happened?
    I'm not saying it, as I honestly don't know, but that would be my worry given your situation.

Glancing at the CRO site I couldn't find any obvious condition that you must be over 18 years, as the other posters have suggested. However it is a general rule in Irish law that a minor (under 18) can't enter into a legally binding contract, so it's a little more complicated.

Perhaps there's no problem at all with picking up the business name (RBN), but even in the absence of that you might have issues entering into a contract for the business anyway... making the RBN a moot point.

As I said, it's not my area at all and I have as much knowledge in it as you have yourself. I just thought I'd raise it as a potential issue and hopefully someone that does know the ins and outs can clear it up for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ActiveIreland

TsuDhoNimh wrote: »
    I'm not saying it, as I honestly don't know, but that would be my worry given your situation.

Glancing at the CRO site I couldn't find any obvious condition that you must be over 18 years, as the other posters have suggested. However it is a general rule in Irish law that a minor (under 18) can't enter into a legally binding contract, so it's a little more complicated.

Perhaps there's no problem at all with picking up the business name (RBN), but even in the absence of that you might have issues entering into a contract for the business anyway... making the RBN a moot point.

As I said, it's not my area at all and I have as much knowledge in it as you have yourself. I just thought I'd raise it as a potential issue and hopefully someone that does know the ins and outs can clear it up for you.

Alright, Thanks for your help mate.

Advertisement