Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

this kind of a screw?

Options
  • 14-10-2012 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭

I know the picture is poor but what I am showing is a normal (ie not Philips) shape at the head of the screw (where the screwdriver fits) except for the fact that the middle section of the channel is flush with the head.
    So effectively there are 3 sections (across the diameter)
    1: a line from the circumference of the head of the screw extending ,say, 2/3rds of the way to the centre
    2: no channel at all
    3: a second line (the mirror image of the 1st on the opposite side of the head)
    As you look at it it looks like a line across the diamwter with a missing section in the middle.
    Hopefully that just shows up in the picture!
    Can I get a tool to undo these screws-or are they designed to be tamper proof?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

could you take another picture:)

i think i know the screw
    you can prob get a bit in those security bit sets at the diy shops

http://resources.tannerbolt.com/articles/what-type-of-screw-is-this/

is it the spanner screw in the link

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You could cut a section out of a screw driver to make it fit

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

If I'm stuck I use a needle nose pliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭amandstu

Thanks all
    @M cebee
    Here's a better pic (not so close )It is similar to the "spanner " shape in your link but the 2 "holes" are wider -more like lengths of channel (each about 1/3 in length of the diameter of the head)

@ted1 Yes I thought of that.

@BassboxxxIt is too small though for the needle nose pliers I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

If you have two small flat head screw drivers try stick one in each hole and turn the screw should work

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

You could always just cut a slot out o one of your flat head screw drivers to allow for the bit ib the middle.

I'm sure you could get a tip to fit but chances of you using it again would be slim.

Old flat head you don't care about and have at it with a hack saw and file.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

amandstu wrote: »
    I know the picture is poor but what I am showing is a normal (ie not Philips) shape at the head of the screw (where the screwdriver fits) except for the fact that the middle section of the channel is flush with the head.
    So effectively there are 3 sections (across the diameter)
    1: a line from the circumference of the head of the screw extending ,say, 2/3rds of the way to the centre
    2: no channel at all
    3: a second line (the mirror image of the 1st on the opposite side of the head)
    As you look at it it looks like a line across the diamwter with a missing section in the middle.
    Hopefully that just shows up in the picture!
    Can I get a tool to undo these screws-or are they designed to be tamper proof?

LIDL or aldi often sell sets with bits that would def fit these screws keep an eye on them this week

Maybe they don't .Aldi has a 53 piece set today but none of them was the right one.
    Lidl had hardly anything.
    What about other shops? Woodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

That's just a tamper proof slot screw/bolt.

You can get little sets of bits in the likes of halfords, woodies, maplin.

But the easiest thing to do is get an old slot screw driver and cut a notch in it, with a hacksaw/file.

• Advertisement

That's just a tamper proof slot screw/bolt.

You can get little sets of bits in the likes of halfords, woodies, maplin.

But the easiest thing to do is get an old slot screw driver and cut a notch in it, with a hacksaw/file.

ah echo echo echo :D

cheers !
    thanks everyone

Advertisement