Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terms Of Use Problem

Options
  • 14-10-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

My son updated his xbox slim the other day & I had to accept the terms of use for him to play online.
    Problem is it allows me put in the password but the email address is wrong which cant be highlighted to change. Instead of the address being carrolls36@xxx.com it says carrolls@36xxx.com

Also when I try online it just loops from

Capture1_zps5df24e4f.jpg

to this page

Capture_zps6778071c.jpg

And back again without updating. Has this happened to anyone on here and how do I fix it. The young fellas crackin me up that he cant sign in.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

You'll have to phone up Xbox for this. It's the only way to change that kinda account setting when not logged in.

You might be able to do it on the old machine, but I don't really know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Calling up Xbox is pointless, they cant change it, try using a different browser, its likely a buggered cookie or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bigeddie29

Try resetting the password on the parental id account that is linked to your son's account through the website www.live.com, and if you don't know the answer to the secret question or have access to the alternative email account to send the reset link, then you will have to do the account recovery process by filling in the online questionaire and submitting it to the windows live team, as they are the only people who can give you back access to the account, believe me i know, i work for xbox!!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zale

Bigeddie29 wrote: »
    Try resetting the password on the parental id account that is linked to your son's account through the website www.live.com, and if you don't know the answer to the secret question or have access to the alternative email account to send the reset link, then you will have to do the account recovery process by filling in the online questionaire and submitting it to the windows live team, as they are the only people who can give you back access to the account, believe me i know, i work for xbox!!

Hey thanks for the replies,
    I've reset all xbox account passwords but it's the actual email address thats causing the problem. It's mixed up. The address should be "carrolls36@gmail.com" but have a look for yourself it's wrong so no matter what password i put in it's gonna say invalid password. We've had these live accounts for some yrs now & it's only on the last change of Terms of use this has happened. How do I fix this....

2012-10-20100738_zpseaacb351.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

This most likely cannot be fixed. You input the address like that in the beginning. You don't need a hotmail address to create a parental ID for an account. It's why you can use gmail accounts etc. It creates a hotmail account after this.

If you input the above address into hotmail you will see that you can try to reset the password, showing you that it is a legitimate hotmail account, by emailing yourself a reset link or answering the secret question.

Unfortunately, a reset on hotmail still doesn't seem to resolve this. You'll most likely only be able to bypass this if you remember the original password you used when setting the parental account up.]

If you can't remember that, you're snookered. Calling support won't make a difference because they can't reset passwords for you. It'll be time to forget that account and start a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

It can be fixed no problem just raise the issue with Windows Live NOT Xbox, happened to me, someone reset my email but instead of .com it read .con so i was caught in a loop when trying to retrieve lost passwords. You will need to prove the account is in fact yours, they will ask you for a list of info they need like I.P addresses and possible/old passwords etc. Once you can prove all that they will send the re-set password to your email and you can use that to create a live ID with your real email and link it to your gamertag, simples :rolleyes: if you cant find the links to contact the Live team send me a PM and ill dig out the links.

projectgtr wrote: »
    It can be fixed no problem just raise the issue with Windows Live NOT Xbox, happened to me, someone reset my email but instead of .com it read .con so i was caught in a loop when trying to retrieve lost passwords. You will need to prove the account is in fact yours, they will ask you for a list of info they need like I.P addresses and possible/old passwords etc. Once you can prove all that they will send the re-set password to your email and you can use that to create a live ID with your real email and link it to your gamertag, simples :rolleyes: if you cant find the links to contact the Live team send me a PM and ill dig out the links.

This is a bit different, from my understanding. It's not actually the email address for the gamertag, it's the parental email address used essentially as a password for a child account. These are notriously problematic and rarely get resolved by simple password resets. They also cannot be changed by Xbox or Windows LIVE.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

Even if it's a typoed email address, it's still set up as a microsoft account (formerly known as a windows live ID). It's a common issue, but this typoed account is still an active WLID. The WLID is essentially a username used to sign in to microsoft services, it doesn't have to be an active email address. Just go to the password reset page, enter the WLID with the typo in it and bob's your mother's brother. Obviously you won't be able to use the "email me a reset link" option, so try the security question, if that fails then fill out the questionnaire. The questionnaire is a pain, but if you word it in such a way that you let the guys know it's not an active email address and only used as the parental ID then you should be ok.

Gweedling wrote: »
    Even if it's a typoed email address, it's still set up as a microsoft account (formerly known as a windows live ID). It's a common issue, but this typoed account is still an active WLID. The WLID is essentially a username used to sign in to microsoft services, it doesn't have to be an active email address. Just go to the password reset page, enter the WLID with the typo in it and bob's your mother's brother. Obviously you won't be able to use the "email me a reset link" option, so try the security question, if that fails then fill out the questionnaire. The questionnaire is a pain, but if you word it in such a way that you let the guys know it's not an active email address and only used as the parental ID then you should be ok.
    Again, it's not just a WLID password issue. It's a parental email address on a child account. These are a bit different. By all means he can try the reset but I wouldn't be getting my hopes up.

Again, it's not just a WLID password issue. It's a parental email address on a child account. These are a bit different. By all means he can try the reset but I wouldn't be getting my hopes up.

The Parental email _is_ the WLID password issue. It's a password reset issue for a WLID, just not the son's one. It's the Parental WLID instead.:cool:

Edited to add: +1 on not getting hopes up, it's a very difficult situation for the OP to be in and not one that is fixed in the majority of cases. Best of luck though!

• Advertisement

Gweedling wrote: »
    The Parental email _is_ the WLID password issue. It's a password reset issue for a WLID, just not the son's one. It's the Parental WLID instead.:cool:

Edited to add: +1 on not getting hopes up, it's a very difficult situation for the OP to be in and not one that is fixed in the majority of cases. Best of luck though!
    Parental emails on child accounts don't seem to work in the same way as normal WLID resets. It will reset the WLID, but not necessarily the parental email address password.

Like I said, he can try to reset it but it doesn't seem to apply properly a lot of the time even if it has been successfully reset on the website. Anyway, no point in arguing the toss until the OP lets us know how he gets on with the reset.

Aah I get what you mean, Yeah. a WLID is not the same as an email account, they're only the same if the domain is hotmail/live/msn etc. If the Domain is gmail/yahoo etc then it's a totally seperate account.

Example: the live ID I used to have for xbox/messenger up until two months ago was my oceanfree email adress. Remember oceanfree? That email account itself hasn't been active in about eight years, but I still used that email as a Live ID for microsoft services.

Essentially: The WLID doesn't have to be an email address, it's used as a username to sign in to microsoft services, exactly the same as I use "Gweedling" to sign in to boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭zale

projectgtr wrote: »

Thanks all for the help. I've done the above & am waiting on their email back. ;)

Will post as soon as they do.

Advertisement