Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library says I have checked out a book, I haven't

Options
  • 14-10-2012 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I looked at my UCD Connect account to see if my library fine (I returned a book a day late) was gone from my account after paying it. When I was there I noticed that it said I had a book checked out, a book that I never heard of.

When I called them they said that they would check the shelves to see if it is there. If it was there said they would correct my account.

My account has not been rectified so I assume they did not find it on the shelves. They are closed today so I cant call them. I am starting to get worried. This is an expensive book so I don't want to be liable for the replacement when it is the library's mistake and not mine.

Are the cameras in the library which they can check to see if I had a book when leaving? What can I do to prove I do not have this book?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mincepies

thank God im not the only one!

I dropped back two books into the drop box where security are in the past month on two different days and neither of them registered as being returned. i started getting mails saying overdue and then one threatening me with a bill and about being summoned to the registrar. I mailed back and asked them to check CCTV. the books are still missing on my account and the fine is up to about 15EUR now but the emails have stopped since.

must be a problem with their computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

mincepies wrote: »
    thank God im not the only one!

I dropped back two books into the drop box where security are in the past month on two different days and neither of them registered as being returned. i started getting mails saying overdue and then one threatening me with a bill and about being summoned to the registrar. I mailed back and asked them to check CCTV. the books are still missing on my account and the fine is up to about 15EUR now but the emails have stopped since.

must be a problem with their computers.

The book they say I have, I've never checked out before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

My account has not been rectified so I assume they did not find it on the shelves. They are closed today so I cant call them. I am starting to get worried. This is an expensive book so I don't want to be liable for the replacement when it is the library's mistake and not mine.

Are the cameras in the library which they can check to see if I had a book when leaving? What can I do to prove I do not have this book?

I don't think cameras would help you, esp if you had a bag with you at the time since the book could have been inside it at the time. Even then, they may not have the footage going that far back.
    Is the book even related to what you are studying? If not, you can try argue that it would be pointless for you to have taken it, but I doubt it would be of much use.
    I'd wonder if there was an access log for the entry to the library to see if you were even in there that day, but you'd have to be sure you hadn't been in.
    mincepies wrote: »

I dropped back two books into the drop box where security are in the past month on two different days and neither of them registered as being returned. s.

Friend of mine warned me not to use that box. Said stuff goes missing all the time with it.

Advertisement