Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-in-one or separate HTPC and NAS?

Options
  • 14-10-2012 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to build/buy a HTPC and am looking for opinions on the best way to go about it.

Ideally I want to be able to:

1) Play files/streams/youtube/netflix etc
    2) Automatically download TV shows/music
    3) Support Squeezebox server
    4) Add a tv card to get digital tv (saorview/freeview)

And hopefully be able to use a cheap tablet as a controller.

Before I start looking into building a HTPC, am I better off getting a separate NAS or building an all-in-one unit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

You could build a HTPC and stick a storage hardrive in it and down the road you could take the drive out and put it in a NAS if you feel you need one.

I started off with a shuttle xs35gt and an external 2tb wd for storage and now i have 2 htpcs, wd live and 2 logitech squeezeboxes. I got 4x 2TB drives in my NAS and im gonna add another 2 soon alongside the 500gb cache drive. The NAS is great to be left on overnight downloading and running squeezebox server etc. Everything is automated, tv shows with sickbeard and movies with couchpotato. I am using Unraid.

Once I got surround sound I had to upgrade all my movies and most of my tv shows to 720p+ and you are looking at at least 5gb per film so it adds up fast. But if you are gonna be using netflicx alot then you mightnt need the NAS if you are gonna be streaming from the internet most of the time?
    Some people watch a tv show and then delete it after too..

A pc running XBMC can do 1,2,3,4
    A NAS can do 2,3 and im pretty sure 4 with the right software

Advertisement