Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI players who should be considered for the national side.

• 14-10-2012 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

One of the items on my ever growing list of reasons to dislike the current international set up is the fact that our own league is completely ignored.
    The players are there, they just have to be, or at the very least we should be looking there for when a bright prospect does emerge.
    If the current crop are as bad as everyone says, then what do we have to lose by recruiting from our domestic competition?
    For me the most notable recent cases are Fahey, Coleman and McLean - these guys didn't just become good enough when they landed in England.

My question to the LOI experts on here is who do you think should be given a chance in the national side?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Pascal Millien and Joseph Ndo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Philly Hughes. He eats what he waaaants......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'd be surprised if there's currently any tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

The positives to come from the financial state of league clubs is that youth is being given a chance.

Lots of talented young players in the league now.

But not for senior international level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Maybe in years past but currently there really isn't anyone in the league capable of making the step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Nobody who watches our league can tell me Andy Keogh should be in there ahead of a top LOI talent.

Mark Quigley > Andy Keogh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Ndo is a Cameroonian international and has played in the world cup qualifiers and was at the 2002 WC. In many ways he has played in better international teams than any of the current Irish squad.

Hes not eligible any way.

Claude LeRoy was a big fan of his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Joe has Cameroonian caps.

I think he was joking lads..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ndo is a Cameroonian international and has played in the world cup qualifiers and was at the 2002 WC. In many ways he has played in better international teams than any of the current Irish squad.

Dancor wrote: »
    Joe has Cameroonian caps.

sarcasm_detector.jpg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Quigs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

On merit? Zero

That said tho I think there should be a few places reserved for younger LOI players (say u23) in order to try foster some sort of connection between the domestic game and the international team and also to give some experience to players who might theoretically offer the national side something in the long term. I'd defo be in favour or places for them.

My problem with this LOI notion however is generally when this question is asked the names that are offered are usually the very best in the league at that point rather than players with untapped potential. I think if you're over 25 and still playing in the LOI then that's almost certainly as good as you're gonna get. I can't think of any player over that age who got another crack cross-channel and made it anyway (maybe Paddy McCourt if you want to stretch that notion).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Nobody who watches our league can tell me Andy Keogh should be in there ahead of a top LOI talent.

Mark Quigley > Andy Keogh

would the argument not be more that they agree that Keogh shouldnt be there but his replacement in the squad wouldnt come from the LOI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Whatever about LOI lads getting a chance for the senior team, I do think the younger lads playing well and regularly for their clubs should be considered for the u21's.

Alot of the guys that are currently on the u21 panel are playing League 1/2 level. Lads like Kiernan Marty Walters, John Dunleavy, Chris Forrester would hardly be out of place.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I can't think of any player over that age who got another crack cross-channel and made it anyway (maybe Paddy McCourt if you want to stretch that notion).

Keith Fahey?

Quigley has great talent, attitude can be a bit suspect though.

Chris Forrester might be one for the future.

Ronan Finn maybe as well.

Evan McMillan for when we need a goal :p

At the moment there's nobody from the LOI who I'd have for a competitive game, however for friendlies there's probably a couple who deserve a run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

What about - AbsolutelyNoone McDonnell?

At the moment there's nobody from the LOI who I'd have for a competitive game, however for friendlies there's probably a couple who deserve a run out.

There are many LOI players good enough to play against the Faroe Islands and Kazakhstan.
    Doocey wrote: »
    What about - AbsolutelyNoone McDonnell?

Nooner declared for the north unfortunately.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    There are many LOI players good enough to play against the Faroe Islands and Kazakhstan.

You play your strongest side in any competitive international game imo, which wouldn't include any LOI players. Maybe a run off the bench if the games killed off with a bit to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I think Ireland should try for the Olympics with a squad of LOI players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

No one at the moment to be honest. There's a few for the future definitely and there's a few I'm surprised haven't made it, mainly due to attitude reasons... Killian Brennan for example.

• Advertisement

I'm a Cork City fan and I can honestly say there have been plenty of players playing for city who were good enough for Ireland down through the years.

Not here but on the City site I often mentioned Doyle and Long who were soon picked for Ireland with indecent haste as soon as they arrive in England. I mean they suddenly didnt massively improve overnight. The funny thing was off our three strikers at the time the best one was never picked for Ireland - John O'Flynn. The guy was immense. A true strikers ability. Great pace, really fast and would never miss the target when in the box. Injury in the end ruined his career but the injury bit we only know now when looking back.

He defo should have been picked.

Jack Charlton did pick Pat Byrne and stated at the time that he was at the level for international football. So was Dave Barry as well IMO especially when you saw him in action in UEFA competitions.

I think when you go to match on a regular basis you can pick out those really special players and it does show itself on european nights - thats why you often get chief scouts over on these nights as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

There are none.

There are EPL regulars not being considered by Trap.

They need to be looked at, not LoI players.

How many LoI players are even full-time? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think Ronan Finn has something to add, but I guess like Fahey we won't see that happen unless he gets a move abroad.

The notion that one can't be good enough playing in the LOI is rubbish, for 99.9 of the players that come through the league may not be good enough, but there have frequently been 1 or 2 players at a time, and gone straight to England and swiftly enough into the Ireland setup without changing too much to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I think Ireland should try for the Olympics with a squad of LOI players.

We'd have to finish 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the under 21 Euros. Can't see a team exclusively comprised of LOI players doing that in a million years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Who was the last LoI player to get a game with the national squad, Glen Crowe?

Augmerson wrote: »
    Who was the last LoI player to get a game with the national squad, Glen Crowe?

Jason Byrne.

Brian Murphy was called up to the Squad for the Playff against France, but didn't play obviously.

Jason Byrne.

Was it not Joe Gamble?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Was it not Joe Gamble?

Woops, yeah you're right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Was it not Joe Gamble?

That's a name I've not heard in ages. Was a quality player for Cork City.

What about David Forde? Was he capped when he was at Derry?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's none at the minute. Although I think if the game here got sharper (more full-time and better coaching), there's players that do have the potential.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Mark Quigley should be called up for friendlies at least, he's better than Andy Keogh.

Granted there are many players that aren't called up that are better than Andy Keogh but faith has to be put into our league, otherwise it will never ever develop properly.

TheStook wrote: »
    Mark Quigley should be called up for friendlies at least, he's better than Andy Keogh.

No player from any club in any league should be called ino squads "just for friendlies".

Waste of time and players need to be there on merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Marty Owens Sligo Rovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

Pay particular attention to the section entitled "Purpose"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

"All right, his story checks out! " :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In fairness to Ndo though, he got a game ahead of Et'o in that WC.:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

That adds nothing for or against the argument. C'mon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I tell you what, he is not Irish, but the Shamrock Rovers keeper Oscar Jansson has a lot of potential and could possibly get a call up for Sweden someday. I reckon he'd have to return to Scandinavia first though.

EDIT: Has 2 caps for Sweden U-21's but not since 2009....maybe not :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I tell you what, he is not Irish, but the Shamrock Rovers keeper Oscar Jansson has a lot of potential and could possibly get a call up for Sweden someday. I reckon he'd have to return to Scandinavia first though.

Hopefully he's in goal for Sweden when we play them.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Would Kevin Feely have the potential to make it seeing how he is being linked with a host of EPL clubs? He can't be any worse than McShane/ O'Dea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I try to defend LoI as best I can, being a season ticket holder for many years, but you have to be honest and say, despite us thinking the current RoI team is rubbish, theres not anyone who stands out as good enough in LoI to get a cap at present.

International football is a higher level than most give credit for. No LoI player would have the fitness or sharpness to play at that level.

There are plenty of players who, if they got signed to a full time outfit in England, got proper training, conditioning and coaching would undoubtedly be worth considering. James McClean is the perfect example of this recently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If an average Pats side can beat Shakhtar Karagandy last year who are comprised of better players than those faced by Ireland recently, then there are games LOI players could play in.

Looking at some of the performances I've seen against the likes of Slovakia and Armenia recently, they couldn't do much worse. They'd lose 1-6 to Germany as well or at least give it as good a go as those playing on Friday did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Would Kevin Feely have the potential to make it seeing how he is being linked with a host of EPL clubs? He can't be any worse than McShane/ O'Dea.

Evan McMillan is a better all round player imo... although Feely is only 19.

In the not too distant past you'd have been looking at
    Brian Murhpy
    Owen Heary (shocked he never got a call up tbh)
    Seamus Coleman
    Keith Fahey etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ronan Finn was the best player I've seen at the Cross this season. Was superb against us few weeks back and completely controlled the game. Seems to have had a great season too and has terrific technique that would easily make the step up in that category.

Apart from the fact hes absolutely ****e. Genuinely one of the worst keepers to play in the league.

Hes young and used to play for Spurs so that'll be enough to get him signed up for Shamrock next season hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Not being Irish, I'm afraid the only LOI player I know is Joe Gamble - is he about any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

G.K. wrote: »
    Not being Irish, I'm afraid the only LOI player I know is Joe Gamble - is he about any more?

Still in the LOI with Limerick.

Turns out Pascal has caps for Haiti too. Also Joey is 36 years old. Maybe I shouldn't pick the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Ronan Finn is the only maybe...but even at taht I doubt he is better than what lge 1 has to offer!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement