Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inverter for van

Options
  • 14-10-2012 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Didnt want to drag up old posts. What size inverter would be needed to run a wet vat (small one) or kettle/microwave. Or maybe the better question would be to ask whats the largest inverter you can fit to a van with out to much alteration and what would it run.
    When you see microwaves etc in crew cabs what have they done to enable them run something like that. Is there a device that you plug into a socket and then plug your appliance into the device that allows you find what the appliance is using power wise to see if it would run on an inverter regarding power consumption.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Maplin do 3 kW inverters which would be enough, you'd probably have to hardwire it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

TheChizler wrote: »
    Maplin do 3 kW inverters which would be enough, you'd probably have to hardwire it though.

That would put a huge load on the battery, 250 amps or so at full capacity. Probably impractical in a van.

Any decent sized invertor would need hard wiring direct to the battery, maybe with a relay that only allows use when the engine is running for the bigger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

robbie7730 wrote: »
    TheChizler wrote: »

That would put a huge load on the battery, 250 amps or so at full capacity. Probably impractical in a van.

Any decent sized invertor would need hard wiring direct to the battery, maybe with a relay that only allows use when the engine is running for the bigger ones.
    Good point, I for some reason had a truck in mind when reading that.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Could you not install two batteries in the van so you'll have a master slave set up where the inverter won't have access to the main battery that provides power for the van electrical systems ignition etc.

I had this setup in a van in OZ it worked very well stopped that dreaded click when you go to start the van next morning :D

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Could you not install two batteries in the van so you'll have a master slave set up where the inverter won't have access to the main battery that provides power for the van electrical systems ignition etc.

I had this setup in a van in OZ it worked very well stopped that dreaded click when you go to start the van next morning :D

The rapidly closing and opening of the solenoid and its contacts is even better, when it happens at certain battery discharge level and/or condition.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The rapidly closing and opening of the solenoid contacts is even better, when it happens at certain battery discharge level and/or condition.

That's what I was thinking. somethin like that inline so it will stop the inverter drawing from the main battery.

leeomurchu wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking. somethin like that inline so it will stop the inverter drawing from the main battery.

Well I was talking about how the solenoid can rapidly open and close when the ignition is turned on to start the car. On rare occasions they sound like a machine gun almost, not really in relation to this topic:)

A 3kw load on a van battery would be too much for anything more than a few seconds at a time I would think. Car type batteries are not good for discharging more than about 20% from them. They are designed for high current delivery for short durations for starting.

A 100 amp hour battery in theory would discharge completely in 24 minutes with a 3kw load on it, or discharge by 20% in 5 minutes. In practice there would be a rapid decline after about 20% of the capacity is discharged with that size load on it. So boiling 1 kettle of water and a 100 amp hour battery is needing a recharge.

A 1kw kettle would be suitable probably, and a microwave is easily within range being below a kw for a domestic one. But this would need an interlock setup alright, for when the engine is not running, or else careful usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

I think ambulances have inverters of about 1kW. That's the largest I would install in a van TBH and even at that you could flatten a battery in minutes.

If you want more power get a generator, you can get quiet units for campervans etc. Try use gas for all heating and cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

deandean wrote: »
    I think ambulances have inverters of about 1kW. That's the largest I would install in a van TBH and even at that you could flatten a battery in minutes.

If you want more power get a generator, you can get quiet units for campervans etc. Try use gas for all heating and cooking.

They also have an auxiliary leisure battery that provides the electrical load so the primary lead acid isn't drained.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

BX 19 wrote: »

They also have an auxiliary leisure battery that provides the electrical load so the primary lead acid isn't drained.

I have an inverter in the van for charging power tools , its ony 300 watt though, it runs off a second battery connected to a split charging relay kit (ebay) the second battery only charges when the van is running and shuts down when you turn off the ignition' this stops the main battery from draining if i forget to plug out the appliance that's charging-,,I was told to get a pure sine wave inverter as others can damage some power tool battery chargers'

• Advertisement
Advertisement