Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A few questions

• 14-10-2012 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Came on here back in March or so. Got a Honda CBF250 and set about getting the licence. Passed the test in September and now have a few fairly unconnected questions.

1. I'm interested in getting a bigger bike but obviously still restricted. Is it worth it or should I just wait out the restriction on my 250? Any advantage to filling those two years with a restricted 600?

2. What bike? Given that I'll be going second hand is there any advantage to waiting for the new regs to come in in January?

3. This will be my first winter with a bike. I still have the car. Who here rides all year round?

4. I imagine ice is a no no to take the bike out on but would you do it on frost? Where do you draw the line?

5. Can anyone recommend some good winter gloves? My fingers got pretty cold the other day.

Thanks,

Shane, The

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If you're over 24 wait til after this weekend when the law on restrictions and such might be cleared up. See if some instructor posts on their website about it simplifying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Nothing wrong with getting a bigger bike and restricting it for the two years.

Depends on what type bike your into really.

I ride all year round. To lazy to walk.

riding in the ice isnt to bad, never came off the bike in ice anyways, yet lol.

Dont know about gloves as I never wear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

riding in the ice isnt to bad, never came off the bike in ice anyways, yet lol.

Dont know about gloves as I never wear them.

Do you have any idea of the permanent damage you are going to do to your hands if you come off at speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

1. I'm interested in getting a bigger bike but obviously still restricted. Is it worth it or should I just wait out the restriction on my 250? Any advantage to filling those two years with a restricted 600?

It's always worth keeping an eye out if you're thinking of changing the bike. AFAIK you can ride any bike restricted, so don't just limit youself to looking at 600's

2. What bike? Given that I'll be going second hand is there any advantage to waiting for the new regs to come in in January?

I don't think that the Irish bike market is as driven by new sales as the car market would be. If you spot something you like, go for it, but make sure you bargain hard

3. This will be my first winter with a bike. I still have the car. Who here rides all year round?

I do, the majority of the time. I do have a car, but rarely take it to work with me. Mainly only use it when ferrying the kids around.

4. I imagine ice is a no no to take the bike out on but would you do it on frost? Where do you draw the line?

It would need to be a severe frost to deter me, but only ride to your own experience/comfort levels, especially if you're a relatively new rider.

5. Can anyone recommend some good winter gloves? My fingers got pretty cold the other day.

I've gone through lots of gloves, the best solution i have found is to use a pair of light inner gloves. It's the same as putting on extra layers on the body and will help, but fingers will still be cold. It was cold on the bike this morning, 2 deg when i was going to work, after 30 mins fingers were numb.

Happy riding:cool:

ratracer wrote: »
    It's always worth keeping an eye out if you're thinking of changing the bike. AFAIK you can ride any bike restricted, so don't just limit youself to looking at 600's

Just on this, that's set to change, Bikes will no longer be permitted to be restricted to below half their power. But the Restriction is being raised to 35kw. So any bike under 70kw can be restricted down, anything over will not be permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

The Shane wrote: »
    Came on here back in March or so. Got a Honda CBF250 and set about getting the licence. Passed the test in September and now have a few fairly unconnected questions.

Thanks,

Shane, The

1. That's really up to yourself. It's no harm keeping an eye on donedeal in case something you really want pops up.

2. I don't think you should wait until January but certainly keep an eye on any documents released by the RSA or MAG in relation to making an informed decision about your bike.

3. My bf and I ride all year round. We don't own a car so we use our bikes for everything. I commute 30km each way to work everyday and himself drives in and out of college everyday. We live in the middle of nowhere so we don't have access to public transport so unfortunately no matter how **** the weather is, we have to get on the bikes. Himself drove his R1 into college in the snow two years ago to do college exams, it was either that or have to do the exams as repeats the following May.

Best advice in relation to riding all year round, invest in decent textiles, in particular gloves and boots (I find the worst parts to get wet and cold are my hands and feet as they're controlling the bike). If your bike will take heated grips, get them. If it'll take handguards, get them. Also, invest in a decent waterproof bag to carry a change of clothes in.

4. As I said already we only have our bikes so we've been out in the worst weather. Obviously, it's not ideal. You'll have some scary moments but best not to panic and if your bike will take crash bars/mushrooms, get them.

5. We have about 10 pairs of gloves between us. My most recent purchase was RST Slice gloves. Had them on in lashing rain and hailstones the other day and they held up well, little bit damp at the cuff but they kept my hands warm and that's most important for me. I also have 2 pairs of Richa gloves, they're not Winter gloves but they're okay in light showers. Richa do very good Winter gloves for about €100 that do the job well. RST are a little cheaper and do a lesser job but still pretty good. I have Frank Thomas gloves which are crap in the rain (they're closed down now anyway).

Do you have any idea of the permanent damage you are going to do to your hands if you come off at speed?

Yes I have been informed about 200 times in the past. I could also kill myself falling off the bike at low speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Just on this, that's set to change, Bikes will no longer be permitted to be restricted to below half their power. But the Restriction is being raised to 35kw. So any bike under 70kw can be restricted down, anything over will not be permitted.

That's interesting. I doubt it will be enforced, as the current restriction is unknown to most members of our esteemed force.

If your going to ride restricted get a twin cylinder 650 like a sv650 or er6. They really ride well restricted, the low torque curve means you barley notice it.
    Yes I have been informed about 200 times in the past. I could also kill myself falling off the bike at low speed.

Your choice. If I do come off the bike, I'd prefer to better my chances of being able to get back on it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Thanks,

Shane, The

I drive in all weathers. Drove in the worst of the snow 2 years back, more cos I got caught out than by choice, but there you go! Got home in one piece, but wouldnt want to do it again or advise it!
    Ice is leathal on a bike simpy because a slip will mean a fall in most cases, unlike a car.
    got handlebars muffs *thats muffs not muff!) No gloves on their own (bar the Gerbing electrically heated ones) will do the job in the worst of winter. You need heated grips hand protectors, preferably both.

Im sure he does. Each to their own, theyre his hands!

• Advertisement

If your going to ride restricted get a twin cylinder 650 like a sv650 or er6. They really ride well restricted, the low torque curve means you barley notice it.

I can confirm this, Ive an er6n, I owned it while restricted for nearly 2 years, have it 3 years since unrestricted. There was a small difference at lower revs, but you will only really notice it at higher revs.
    Parrallel twins such as the er6 are ideal for restricting. Its only a throttle stop too, so very easy to derestrict.

That's interesting. I doubt it will be enforced, as the current restriction is unknown to most members of our esteemed force.

Probably won't be enforced, but the ever present question of are you really insured if the bike is not legal for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Probably won't be enforced, but the ever present question of are you really insured if the bike is not legal for you?

In the event of an accident/claim the bike WILL be inspected, just be aware of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Forget about driving in ice. I drive all year round, but it depends on what roads you'll be on. If you're leaving at 6am and it's a heavy frost and you live on a back road, it's going to be fairly hard!
    I'm living in Dublin now, roads are never bad, but when I lived in rural area I used to walk out to the road, if it was too slippy to walk on, I wouldn't drive.

In the event of an accident/claim the bike WILL be inspected, just be aware of this.

hey fathead (i know maki) when i claimed for my bandit 600 being stoledn I never had inspetion. long story but i had fully comp, bike was robbed. Got gsxr 1000 from the claim and it turned out the cops found it 2 days after it was robed but never told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

You should get a 00 F650GS Dakar. Lovely bike. Actually, now that I think of it, I have one here that might be for sale. What are the chances? :D

Advertisement