Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving carts in consoles all the time...?

• 14-10-2012 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

As I look under my TV, I can see that currently my Megadrive, Snes and PCE all have games in them. Saturn has a cart in the expansion port.

Now, I know leaving carts in the NES damages the 15 pin connector to the point where the pins bend back and it stops working.

I also know that apparently the Saturn's expansion port can be damaged by 3rd party carts. (which is what my one is)

Anyone know if this happens with other consoles? I'm terrible for leaving carts in them, always do.

They all work fine.

Maybe I just answered my own question :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The only one you have to worry about is the NES and the Saturn.

With the NES the pins can become bent and you get the all too familiar 72 pin problem. I have a bit of a dilemma though. If I remove the cart it can take forever to get working again, if I leave it in it will keep working so I prefer to leave the cart in the machine. Also it's recommended to not press down on the cartridge when playing games on the NES. I'm not sure if it's true but I've had better success getting games to work when I don't press the cart down.

For the saturn the connectors are made of a really poor grade metal and can wear so you are better off leaving the cart in the slot and try to avoid removing carts as much as possible.

Any other console it doesn't matter much, the pins are usually strong and you aren't inserting them at a weird angle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I've heard of it happening on the SMS and megadrive , I usually leave the carts out anyway most of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I keep nothing in my consoles, just really weird about returning games to their place afterwards, same with dvds

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why do I think this thread is about the leaving cert every time I see it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Why do I think this thread is about the leaving cert every time I see it?

Was thinking the exact same earlier.

I don't leave carts in consoles. PS2 I might leave a disc in or MVS cart connected to the mobo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I don't leave carts in either, not for any reason though barring habit. Like Mr. Burton, I'm just in the habit of putting things back where they go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Usually take them out myself apart from the TG-16 everdrive and Saturn.

Makes no difference to the consoles reliability if they're left in - apart from the NES. They're typically old style IDC connector similar to ISA cards in PC's and you don't tend to find people popping cards in and out all the time :)

Third party Saturn carts are cheapass rubbish with no chamfer on the connector and its this flat edge that can damage the Saturn if the cart is in and out a lot.

Advertisement