Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I sell my business If I Lease?

Options
  • 14-10-2012 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

In 2008 I opened a coffee shop/sandwich bar..it was fully fitted by the landlord, I agreed the rent, bought the stock and started trading..I'm considering that this may be my last year and was wondering can I sell the "business" if I only rent the premises?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

When you simply rent a premises you really don't own anything, so you've nothing to sell. A lease on the other hand, can be regarded as an asset, and is something you can sell.
    There is something in law that entitles a renter to a lease if they have been there for an unbroken period of (I believe) 4 years and nine months. Check it out with a solicitor. Might be worth hanging on a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alfredo12

DubTony wrote: »
    When you simply rent a premises you really don't own anything, so you've nothing to sell. A lease on the other hand, can be regarded as an asset, and is something you can sell.
    There is something in law that entitles a renter to a lease if they have been there for an unbroken period of (I believe) 4 years and nine months. Check it out with a solicitor. Might be worth hanging on a bit longer.
    Thanks,I've seen that before on other threads,4 yrs and nine months..might be worth looking into.As it wasn't a business that was already established I was hoping there would be some chance of "goodwill"..it's purely personal reasons for considering walking away as the business is financially ok.thanks for the advice anyway:)

Advertisement