Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which media streamer to get

• 14-10-2012 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Which media streamer to get
    Hi all I'm in the market for a new media streamer I have a popcorn hour a110. But with the amount of content been streamed now I want a differant machine.

I have net flicks account and I also need to be able to use the rte player and other similar services.

I have been looking at the following devices and I was looking for user options on them

Apple tv
    Boxie
    Roku

But open to others
    Which would you get and why
    Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnthonyB

I have a roku (basic model) and it's pretty good. Basically my laptop acts as a media server for a roku app (called Plex) and I can browse all audio & video content on the laptop (ripped DVDs etc), and the roku box resolves titles and finds dvd covers and blurb about the movies and star ratings to make the browsing experience like shopping on amazon or something like that. Netflix is fine too if you have a subscription...TV3 player is grand if you're into that. Can't quite figure RTE Player out yet though, it doesn't seem to be supported either as a native Roku app or as a plex app.

For the price, it's great to be able to surf my owned content. And huge amounts of internet rubbish, if you're into that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

AnthonyB wrote: »
    I have a roku (basic model) and it's pretty good.

Does it have Youtube and you link up some sort of keyboard to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭horse7

does anyone know if i can use this to watch rte player/tv3 player
    Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭OU812

I have three apple TVs & a mac mini running plex.

The ONLY drawback with the apple TVs is you need to have everything in (i use flicks to convert) iTunes & leave your computer on to stream from that. You can stream youtube etc without leaving the computer on. The Mac mini can run locally stored & streamed content & the plex interface is fantastic.

I use a mac (in addition to the mini) & it's almost always on anyway so that part doesn't bother me.

The main advantage is if you start to watch something in one room & are going to another, pause or stop it & then resume from the same point in the other room.

I'm very happy with them, but I'm an apple fanboy anyway.

Had a popcorn hour years ago & it was great at the time, but I would imagine is very dated now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭horse7

From what i can see this is a dongle that streams and you can use an android phone as a remote, has anyone got one or familiar with one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement