Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is smyths/ Icon like to work in?

• 14-10-2012 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey, just wondering has any one worked in smyths/icon. Just wondering is it a good place to work in? Are the managers nice, good pay, are the hours long etc. would be great if some one could answer. Just don't want to dive into a job and end up hating it. Thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 Mr.Mackey

I know 2 guys that used to work there and said the manager wasn't the nicest of fellows at all, one lad even got barred from the pub for walking out of the job.

If I were you I'd give it a go unless you have something else lined up, a job is hard enough to come by these day.

Best of luck either way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Well they seen to have a constant ad in the Limerick Post looking for staff and on there Facebook page,they seem to have a habit of taking people on and then saying its a "trial" and then you dont get payed.or i know people that worked there and when they had to be given a employment contract hours were cut,also cutting hours when hoilday pay kicked in

Know 3 people that worked and left and were screwed there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

bigpink wrote: »
    Well they seen to have a constant ad in the Limerick Post looking for staff and on there Facebook page,they seem to have a habit of taking people on and then saying its a "trial" and then you dont get payed.or i know people that worked there and when they had to be given a employment contract hours were cut,also cutting hours when hoilday pay kicked in

Know 3 people that worked and left and were screwed there

I agree with this....I know one lad who used to work there and hated it and another lad who applied for a job, was told to come and start on a friday night, worked that night and when he asked did they need his bank details to pay him, he was told it was only a trial and he wouldn't be getting paid!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I worked there a few years ago, absolutely horrible horrible place to work. Long hours, no thanks for anything you do. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. And I've worked in bars quite a lot before anyone says anything about the hours.

The majority of staff in Smyths are sent to the icon to serve after the pub closes, so you serve in Icon, clean up Icon and then head down and clean up Smyths. I used to get finished between 6 and 7 after starting at 6 in the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Positions been advertised on their facebook page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Triona2

Thanks guys for the advice greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Melion wrote: »
    I worked there a few years ago, absolutely horrible horrible place to work. Long hours, no thanks for anything you do. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. And I've worked in bars quite a lot before anyone says anything about the hours.

The majority of staff in Smyths are sent to the icon to serve after the pub closes, so you serve in Icon, clean up Icon and then head down and clean up Smyths. I used to get finished between 6 and 7 after starting at 6 in the evening.

This sums it up quite well. I worked there for a few months and left as soon as something better came up. The people running the place are the biggest shower of ungrateful, overbearing bullies I've ever worked for. Total to$$ers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Its a nightclub. I aqm not sure why you expect "thanks". Its low skilled low paid work.

Very badly paid given the unsocial hours.

So what? thats part of your job? you get paid till you finish? A 12 hour shift is great in a pub/nightclub. I remember when I was working in icon I often wouldnt start till 10 and finish at half 3 or so....5 1/2 hours....

I worked their around 10 years ago. Started just as it was "done up". Was always good crack! Most sat and sundays nights we would head back to someones flat for an all night session. The good old days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Very high staff turnover points to poor working conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

MMmmm - "What is Smyths/Icon like to work in"? Well I would know as I had the misfortune of working there many moons ago.
    The owner is a small rough spoken chap who used totally inappropriate language on some of the staff and customers. The Bar Manager who's nickname is an abbreviation of his last name equally as obnoxious. This attitude is then reflected on the Security Staff in their dealings with the public. There is a reason they are always looking for staff - they treat people like sh#t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

john_cappa wrote: »
    Its a nightclub. I aqm not sure why you expect "thanks". Its low skilled low paid work.

:rolleyes: Any decent workplace will thank employees for a job well done. Common courtesy and manners never go astray, regardless of how much of a "low skilled low paid" position you are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭James McNulty

One of the lads in the house worked there during term last year and he had to leave because of the brutal attitude there. They couldn't care less about anyone only the euros coming in over the counter. And to be honest, putting someone on trial for a night is pure exploitation.
    He thought the manager in Smyths was getting off on berating staff and witnessed a few of his colleagues getting F'cked out of it in front of customers

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

I have a friend that worked there too and when ever he's back in Limerick he won't even go in there for a drink because of how badly he was treated. Even if it's low skilled low paid work that doesn't give managers the licence to treat workers like crap. I can't get over a previous posters comment saying that because it's low skilled and low pay that you should almost expect to be treated like a dog as though it's the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

I've never been so happy to see a business get such negative reviews, couldn't happen to a nicer place :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The beer is ****e in there too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

You dont see Nancys with adverts every week in the Limerick Post and on Facebook looking for staff

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Not a single positive experience on here yet!?!
    And its still the busiest place in town:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Being busy customerwise is no indication as to how staff are treated.

Mr.Mackey wrote: »
    I know 2 guys that used to work there and said the manager wasn't the nicest of fellows at all, one lad even got barred from the pub for walking out of the job.

If I were you I'd give it a go unless you have something else lined up, a job is hard enough to come by these day.

Best of luck either way.

Is this an Irish thing? I ask because I know of three other businesses in Limerick alone where managers bar ex employees and not just ones who leave on bad terms or who get fired. They seem to go out of their way to bar staff who handed in notice and went elsewhere.

I really have not come across it as a practise outside of Ireland where you get barred from a place simply because you went to work somewhere else. It just stinks of jumped up no marks who have a poor understanding of the law and who get off on bullying people.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

The same chap that ownes the Texas steak house.
    My friend a baker for 20 years had dinner there one night and complained that the bread was not baked properly.
    The owner Tony Enright told him that there must be something wrong with his taste buds.
    When my friend pointed out that he was a baker for the last 20 years, Tony said that he could find somewhere else to eat if he taught that there was something wrong with the food.
    Arrogant man.
    I would not like to work for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭RINO87

Kess73 wrote: »

It should be though, from my experience if staff are happy customers can see this and its a very good reflection on an establishment.

You can see the pain on peoples faces behind the counter in smyths, a reflection on the awful kip that it is. What a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Kess73 wrote: »

Of course it doesn't.
    I was making the point that customers couldn't give a $hite about how a place is run or the staff treated once they are entertained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Friend of mine worked there also and said its not the nicest place to work or the people that run/own it are not the nicest. Although they dont have any problems going there for drinks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Limerick_Alan

Have to agree with most of the above. I worked there about 10 years ago and the owner and managers had a really bad attitude then and it seems to have gotten worse since then. If you have any other option for work, take it.

Of course it doesn't.
    I was making the point that customers couldn't give a $hite about how a place is run or the staff treated once they are entertained.

Ahh sorry about that, I wrongly thought you were making the opposite point.

I enjoyed working there. Was treated fine always.

Was never given out to with out deserving it to be honest.

Perhaps it has changed in recent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I worked in there up until very recently. I used it as a bridge between two jobs so I knew I wasnt there long term (thank god). For me an absolute terrible place to work, you do not get paid for working past 4:00am and anytime you get a new t-shirt or "uniform" they charge you for said uniform (even though they get the t-shirts for free) I was told I needed two t-shirts which amounted to €40 that was a nights wage for me. I was also brought in on the infamous "trial" didnt get paid for my first night and was given two t-shirts which means I started working there on a negative balance. People I worked with were very nice for the majority, managers arent great they are more concerned with looking good with their ear pieces more than anything else! You and a friend do get into the icon for free though which is an upside. A lot of people I worked with seem to have been phased out given only one night a week after working full time for years while bringing in new staff to do their job. There is a reason they are constantly looking for staff!

Looks like things have changed there so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

At the end of the day its still a job though no matter how bad of a one it is!

• Advertisement

At the end of the day its still a job though no matter how bad of a one it is!

While I agree to an extent it is a dangerous attitude to hold and one which puts you in a submissive position to the employer. You have rights regardless of the state of the jobs market.

Advertisement