Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is smyths/ Icon like to work in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Well op did you take the job? Maybe you could give your experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Triona2

Hey no I didn't I all ready have four years bar work experience so I opted not to work there as not one person has a good thing to say and for people who say its a job is a job I'd rather not work for a business who treat there staff badly. Thanks for all yer comments really do appreciate them all

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

Isn't it an awful indictment on the owner, manager and premises that there hasn't been one single positive comment about the way they treat their staff and customers. I unfortunately left Nancy's at 11.30pm last night and decided for old times sake to stick my head in Smyths. 23 people were in the bar and the band played away (back to nancys! - quiet too btw). The guy who owns the place quoted earlier should hang his head in shame for the way he treats other human beings although knowing him he enjoys making peoples life miserable.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sully777 wrote: »
    I unfortunately left Nancy's at 11.30pm last night and decided for old times sake to stick my head in Smyths. 23 people were in the bar and the band played away (back to nancys! - quiet too btw).

Couldn't move in there by 12:30!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

Couldn't move in there by 12:30!

Left early - up for work at 6am!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

23 people in symths??The 2 new bars must be hitting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The town is alot quieter these days on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bazz26 wrote: »
    The town is alot quieter these days on a Saturday night.

Costellos was absolutely mobbed last night for whatever reason, its been really busy since the colleges started back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

krudler wrote: »
    Costellos was absolutely mobbed last night for whatever reason, its been really busy since the colleges started back.

Always is. It's different, and in a city with little difference, different works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

bigpink wrote: »
    23 people in symths??The 2 new bars must be hitting

I saw the owner and manager of Smyths wandering around that Library on Saturday, they slunk off out of their like a pair of scolded children after seeing where their crowd had gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Roadend wrote: »
    I saw the owner and manager of Smyths wandering around that Library on Saturday, they slunk off out of their like a pair of scolded children after seeing where their crowd had gone.

You might like to imagine this to be the case but the reality is that smyths will be there long after the library etc all close again.

Thats said I hope the library is a success. Variety is the spice of life and all that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seen it before. A new bar opening always draws a fickle crowd initially, the Orchard was flavour of the month recently, its the Library this month. Give them 6 or 12 months when the "new bar" crowd have moved to the next novelty and that will give a more accurate indication of how well they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 neverwasser

bazz26 wrote: »
    Seen it before. A new bar opening always draws a fickle crowd initially, the Orchard was flavour of the month recently, its the Library this month. Give them 6 or 12 months when the "new bar" crowd have moved to the next novelty and that will give a more accurate indication of how well they are doing.

Lets do a list of bars that opened and shut within a few months or pubs that drew in the initital "lets go to the new bar" crowd. I know a possy of single women in their 30's who will go to the new bars as soon as they open and then move on within weeks.

Remember Harris's bar down by the river, The Bailey also drew in a great crowd when it first opened. The Bailey is a nice bar I don't know where its going wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭James McNulty

Lets do a list of bars that opened and shut within a few months or pubs that drew in the initital "lets go to the new bar" crowd.

Probably very worthy of a thread all on its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I just can't think how anyone though opening a new bar would be a good business move currently? I suppose Nancys would have a spill over? I was in there again on Saturday night, and it was rammed. Not been in there for so long on a Saturday....

Smyths seems to have weathered the storm. It's been trucking on now for 10+ years while places like termites, the works, the market etc came and went. What was there before Smyths? I mean, in that building. Why was it called Smyths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

seachto7 wrote: »
    I just can't think how anyone though opening a new bar would be a good business move currently? I suppose Nancys would have a spill over? I was in there again on Saturday night, and it was rammed. Not been in there for so long on a Saturday....

Smyths seems to have weathered the storm. It's been trucking on now for 10+ years while places like termites, the works, the market etc came and went. What was there before Smyths? I mean, in that building. Why was it called Smyths?

Clunes Tobacco Factory, I'm guessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

john_cappa wrote: »
    You might like to imagine this to be the case but the reality is that smyths will be there long after the library etc all close again.

Thats said I hope the library is a success. Variety is the spice of life and all that!

Very doubtfull..Tony's next up on Nama's list for unpaid loans ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MrLaurel

Roadend wrote: »

Haven't been to Smyths in about 10 years. I always thought it was soul less, just a bigger version of Supermacs. Is the floor there still tiles with gaudy colours on the walls? Tacky.

I wasn't aware that the same guy owned the Texas Stakeout, which I always considered an upmarket restaurant for wans. Is he that rubber faced small guy. I've seen him in action years ago with staff, small man syndrome.

I say Symths are down alot of business people going to better smaller pubs around town now.people seem to go there for a drink to be able to get up into the club

• Site Banned Posts: 40 soprano123

Hope you didnt take the job ,or did you ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

I worked for Tony for 3 years, I only ever got 1 Christmas bonus of €50, His side kick Lenny was worse he fired a guy one day for not giving him his full attention. I'd never work for him again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

MrLaurel wrote: »
    Is he that rubber faced small guy.

You leave Steve Buscemi alone !!!!!!:D:D:D

Steve-Buscemi-204410-1-402.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 40 soprano123

Here ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

So I think we've gauged that its pretty bad to work for, but what I'm kinda curious to know is.. does the "Sure a jobs a job!" rule still stand here? Would people who worked there recommend for someone to get a job here, if they are struggling to find a job elsewhere? Does it provide enough to pay rent & bills and afford dinner on your plate each day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Its a nightclub. I aqm not sure why you expect "thanks". Its low skilled low paid work.

Very badly paid given the unsocial hours.

So what? thats part of your job? you get paid till you finish? A 12 hour shift is great in a pub/nightclub. I remember when I was working in icon I often wouldnt start till 10 and finish at half 3 or so....5 1/2 hours....

I worked their around 10 years ago. Started just as it was "done up". Was always good crack! Most sat and sundays nights we would head back to someones flat for an all night session. The good old days!

They don't in Smyths/Icon, my mate will only get's paid to 3.30...his also on less than the minimum wage

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

How people drink there is beyond me. Its a soulless place devoid of any character and the drink is absolute muck. The service from the staff isn't much better but after reading this thread I'd say its difficult for them to be motivated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Its a nightclub. I aqm not sure why you expect "thanks". Its low skilled low paid work.

I'm sure that's exactly the same view the owner/manager has. Feel sorry for anyone that may work for you in future for minimum wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

L.T.P. wrote: »
    How people drink there is beyond me. Its a soulless place devoid of any character and the drink is absolute muck. The service from the staff isn't much better but after reading this thread I'd say its difficult for them to be motivated.

Soulless place for soulless people

The had 3 posts on Facebook the last week looking for staff again lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

bigpink wrote: »
    The had 3 posts on Facebook the last week looking for staff again lol

As far as I know they promoted a few of their longer-term people in the last few weeks, so they're probably filling the bar-man jobs that they left in some of those cases.

Advertisement