Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is smyths/ Icon like to work in?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

"Promoted"in symths is being given a title not the pay or benefits

They leave staff go when they have to be made full time or given holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I see they are looking for a Bar Manager to start with immediate effect. A big ad for it in the Post. I wonder has this thread anything to do with them requiring a new bar manager immediately.

They are always looking for staff and very often supervisors and managers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

bigpink wrote: »
    They are always looking for staff and very often supervisors and managers

Just thought it unusual for such a big ad. The ones in the paper and window are usually smaller and up nearly every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Jofspring wrote: »
    I see they are looking for a Bar Manager to start with immediate effect. A big ad for it in the Post. I wonder has this thread anything to do with them requiring a new bar manager immediately.

I can say it dose not, it's just the typical style stuff from what I hear from my friends still working there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Awful place, just awful, bad staff, bad music, bad crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

i handed in a phone i found in smyths behind the bar to a bar man, he took it from me, showed it to one of the other bar man, laughed then stuck it in his pocket the scumbag.

the bar staff in icon are the rudest ever, you could be waiting at the bar for an hour to be served while the bar man serve young wans with their t*ts hanging out, if you open your mouth to them you wont get served. they are also notorious for short changing punters aswel, i never go near the place anymore. their bouncers are a*sholes also.
    steer well clear of the place would be my advice.

i handed in a phone i found in smyths behind the bar to a bar man, he took it from me, showed it to one of the other bar man, laughed then stuck it in his pocket the scumbag.

the bar staff in icon are the rudest ever, you could be waiting at the bar for an hour to be served while the bar man serve young wans with their t*ts hanging out, if you open your mouth to them you wont get served. they are also notorious for short changing punters aswel, i never go near the place anymore. their bouncers are a*sholes also.

From working there if you had to deal with the absolute bastards I had to deal with you would be the same, i wasn't even a bar man and customers used to throw Ice at me!!! Customers are the scumbags breaking glasses in front of me so I would have to clean them up, blocking the cistern with naggins. Take a look at your surroundings before you blame the bar people . And FYI at the end of the night all the money is counted to make sure there was no short changing! Not sticking up for Smyths but being bar staff the job ain't what you think it is!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

And FYI at the end of the night all the money is counted to make sure there was no short changing! Not sticking up for Smyths but being bar staff the job ain't what you think it is!!

This wont prove there was no short changing. Tills will add up fine! Its the customer who loses out. This happens in most busy night places to be honest so unfair to finger icon for it.

Tits getting served first. Again hardly a phenomenon exclusive to icon.

Bouncers being twats. As above.

Manfromcheese you are basically describing every nightclub which is the reason as people get older they tend to tolerate less bull**** and stick to nice bars etc for a late drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Sounds like not much has changed since I last set foot in there so. Ignorant doesn't even begin to describe them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

The Bar Manager who's nickname is an abbreviation of his last name - always twitching, nervous, never stops moving and sound like his nose is blocked all the time :rolleyes:.

Anyone ever wonder why his demeanor is like this knows it has a lot got to do with someones behavior. It leads to anxiety and paranoia which would explain his treatment of his staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The bouncers in that place, they only let you in when they feel like it. Some nights I've gotten in, other nights I get "Sorry bud, not tonight!"

The last time I tried to get in there was just over two years ago with a friend of mine. We both got the old "Sorry bud, not tonight!" ****e again. When my friend asked for a reason why we weren't being allowed in the bouncer goes "I don't have to give you a reason." We just said fair enough and left to go to O'Connell's. I haven't gone next, nigh or near the place since and have no intention of doing so in the future.

It's a bit off topic but my friend was putting in a jacket last night that consisted of an outer layer with a hoody stichted inside it and they charged him for two jackets even when he told her what way the jacket was made she refused. Surely they can't be that badly stuck for cash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It's a bit off topic but my friend was putting in a jacket last night that consisted of an outer layer with a hoody stichted inside it and they charged him for two jackets even when he told her what way the jacket was made she refused. Surely they can't be that badly stuck for cash!

My crazy jacket has got 3 zips on the front. Would I be charged for 3? LOL :D

I'd have turned and walked out at that point :mad:

L.T.P. wrote: »

I'd have turned and walked out at that point :mad:

We were close to it to be honest my first time there in months, will be my last aswell!

We were close to it to be honest my first time there in months, will be my last aswell!

I havent darkened their door in 3 or 4 years, awful, awful place :mad:

Heard Symths is dying a death with the Library and Orchard open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

When I was in Hungary, the clubs had cloakrooms that minded your belongings for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

During student nights in the Sinbin, it used be mandatory to put your jacket in the cloakroom. If you had a jacket or anything with a zip, you HAD to pay to put it in the cloakroom!!

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »
    Heard Symths is dying a death with the Library and Orchard open

I've heard that too, but I've also heard the opposite from someone who was in there on the same night:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Library certainly has had an effect though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

havent been back to icon after I was short changed for the 3rd time. When I refused to leave the bar empty handed (€15 short), he told me that he'll call me at the end of night if the till was up. So i wait for him to get a pen and paper or something, and he just starts serving more customers. 10 min later, im still standing there while he avoids me.

eventually comes back and tells me to call out my number, and he "wont write it down cause [he'll] remember it instead" :rolleyes:

I told him I want a word with the manager, so he calls over a bouncer and kicks me out. I was sober. scum. I hope they read this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    havent been back to icon after I was short changed for the 3rd time. When I refused to leave the bar empty handed (€15 short), he told me that he'll call me at the end of night if the till was up. So i wait for him to get a pen and paper or something, and he just starts serving more customers. 10 min later, im still standing there while he avoids me.

eventually comes back and tells me to call out my number, and he "wont write it down cause [he'll] remember it instead" :rolleyes:

I told him I want a word with the manager, so he calls over a bouncer and kicks me out. I was sober. scum. I hope they read this.
    Wow. That's pretty shocking, even for Icon. I would have made sure to report that to the guards. It's theft and possibly assault.
    a
    I've havent been to Smyths/Icon in over 3 years, since I was given the usual "not tonight pal" for the 95th time. Being sober and well dressed maketh no difference.

I have never come across an establishment so intent on refusing custom for no good reason. I've oft heard it said that a club's doormen reflect the management and how they run the business. Smyths bouncers are without doubt the country's most ignorant and obnoxious. True lowlifes. So it doesn't exactly say very much for Mr Enright.

Would dream of ever going near the place again. The bouncers and wahs in Icon is enough to keep me away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

grenache wrote: »
    Wow. That's pretty shocking, even for Icon. I would have made sure to report that to the guards. It's theft and possibly assault.
    a
    I've havent been to Smyths/Icon in over 3 years, since I was given the usual "not tonight pal" for the 95th time. Being sober and well dressed maketh no difference.

I have never come across an establishment so intent on refusing custom for no good reason. I've oft heard it said that a club's doormen reflect the management and how they run the business. Smyths bouncers are without doubt the country's most ignorant and obnoxious. True lowlifes. So it doesn't exactly say very much for Mr Enright.

Would dream of ever going near the place again. The bouncers and wahs in Icon is enough to keep me away

I can't said I've ever had a bad experience with them. I haven't been in there in years but they look to be mostly the same heads. Polite nod, stopping drunks, throwing out trouble makers in the club. No worse than anywhere else I've been in Ireland. People getting refused always react like this, and I've seen it on here over and over again.

To be fair I haven't found them any worse than any other night club bouncers. You're much more likely to have your nose broken by someone working in Angel Lane!

Obviously the owners understand what type of person majority of clubbers in Limerick want to be in a club with (as its been the busiest for several years). Its up to the doorstaff to screen anyone who comes to the door to see if they fit this profile. If they dont -they dont get in. If they leave everybody in their current fickle regular customers will stop going there. If you've been refused 95 times then you obviously dont fit in with what the Smyths/Icon customers like (and by extension the owners). The doorstaff are only doing what the owner wants them to do, and the owner is running a business and he'll gear the crowd towards his biggest market. Its not pretty but it works!!

Personally I hate the place, never go there and wish it burned down!! But I do understand why someone can be stopped for 'no reason' going into a club or pub anywhere in Ireland... Its not a reflection of the staff, rather a reflection of the current culture where people will only go where a certain crowd go/dont go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

If they dont -they dont get in. If they leave everybody in their current fickle regular customers will stop going there. If you've been refused 95 times then you obviously dont fit in with what the Smyths/Icon customers like (and by extension the owners). The doorstaff are only doing what the owner wants them to do, and the owner is running a business and he'll gear the crowd towards his biggest market. Its not pretty but it works!! .
    It's definitely a reflection on them and not me, as I've never had any trouble being admitted to Trinity Rooms, Molly's, etc. Nor have i ever had problems in Cork since i moved down here, not even in Reardens whose bouncers are notorious w@nkers. I've not been to Angel Lane since it was renovated so I can't comment on them.

If I was a chav bird with big t!ts, you can be sure Smyths would be admitting me. Glad to say, these days, I wouldn't go back even if paid to.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

On their facebook page today that they are looking for staff.

Surely a time will come where everybody will know about their s##t and they will have zero staff. Maybe then they could begin to treat people with respect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

On their facebook page today that they are looking for staff.

Surely a time will come where everybody will know about their s##t and they will have zero staff. Maybe then they could begin to treat people with respect

Hey you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 Mr.Mackey

Years ago my friend got barred from Da Icon because he quit his job there,

We went up to the door one night and the bouncers made some smart comments, my friend started throwing comments back as good as he got and the bouncer pushed my friend, My friend startd squaring up to him and I pushed my friend down the road and told him leave it,

They kept mocking him and then started shouting abuse at me, I had no doubt at the time they wanted both of us to go back to them so they could give us a hiding. Thing is I didn't open my mouth to then.

I avoid the place at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Mr.Mackey wrote: »
    Years ago my friend got barred from Da Icon because he quit his job there,

We went up to the door one night and the bouncers made some smart comments, my friend started throwing comments back as good as he got and the bouncer pushed my friend, My friend startd squaring up to him and I pushed my friend down the road and told him leave it,

They kept mocking him and then started shouting abuse at me, I had no doubt at the time they wanted both of us to go back to them so they could give us a hiding. Thing is I didn't open my mouth to then.

I avoid the place at all costs.

A good lesson to be learned there then - give bouncers as much attention as their job deserves ... which is about 5 seconds out of your entire night as you walk past 'em. :)

Advertisement