Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is smyths/ Icon like to work in?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭jeffk

I was down in limerick on a three day weekend with herself for the first time. Both of us where recommended this place, so we went on a Saturday night (same night as the man city-limerick friendly).

Drinking in the pub for a good three hours, talking to various lads in the place, one fella from outside the city was saying go into the club through the bar. First time there and all that and with a crowd we walked out and around to the club door (a big mistake).

We get to the bouncer, what’s your date of birth, took a few seconds to think as I had a few on my, not tonight I’m told. So I asked for the head bouncer and went back down to entrance to the pub told him and said it to him about getting in, told no and to go away.

It really took away from the night as we weren’t in Limerick before and it was late enough and didn’t know where else to go. You would think two 30 year old tourists if you want to call us that wouldn’t have an issue getting in, especially after drinking in the pub for a few hours.

We are down in Limerick the end of the month for a similar break and we won’t go near this place again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

jeffk wrote: »

It really took away from the night as we weren’t in Limerick before and it was late enough and didn’t know where else to go. You would think two 30 year old tourists if you want to call us that wouldn’t have an issue getting in, especially after drinking in the pub for a few hours.

We are down in Limerick the end of the month for a similar break and we won’t go near this place again.

Blessing in disguise. Best thing that could have happened! It's a dive.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Blessing in disguise. Best thing that could have happened! It's a dive.

Funny one of her friends said she had a great time in it,each to their own I suppose.

Any recommedations for a good place to go please? Like a pub and then a club or even a late bar? Looking for a place with the usual chart/dance music and deals on drinks.

I was in flannerys and it was dead and then heard nancy blakes is good,but looks like an aul fellas bar,tried Peter Clohessy's,but left after one as it was dead(sunday night of a bank holiday weekend)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I wouldn't say Nancys is an auld lads bar. Personally, I'd rather stay in a late bar than go to a club, but that's just me. I despise nightclubs and always have.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

jeffk wrote: »
    Funny one of her friends said she had a great time in it,each to their own I suppose.

Any recommedations for a good place to go please? Like a pub and then a club or even a late bar? Looking for a place with the usual chart/dance music and deals on drinks.

I was in flannerys and it was dead and then heard nancy blakes is good,but looks like an aul fellas bar,tried Peter Clohessy's,but left after one as it was dead(sunday night of a bank holiday weekend)

You must have been in the wrong Flannerys as it was jammed the Sunday of the Bank holiday weekend. The one across from the Icon.In fact we left at 1 as it was crazy. If you are looking for dance music or deals then that Flannerys and my local Nancies are not for you and that was very busy as well.
    You were we'll advised to avoid Icon, they treat customers as bad as staff

• Advertisement

seachto7 from the outside and then looking in the window it was empty enough, maybe theres another part or it picks up late. I prefer a late bar if there is only two or three people out , otherwise the club is a waste of money.

Gallee I dunno what time I was in it , but we sat beside where the band where and it was busy, but not mental, again it could pick up later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

there was an ad on jobs.ie as icon was looking for staff but i passed it as i wasnt sure what might happen later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

A few years ago, I was in the Icon with a few friends celebrating a birthday. At the end of the night, the lights went on, and I was standing at the bar chatting to a friend, when the bar man started taking nearly full bottles from the bar, re-capping them, and putting them back into the fridge. I called the barman, and told him that someone drank out of the bottle that he just capped and put in the fridge. He told me word for word "Mind your own business, I don't make the rules" and walked away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

Baldie wrote: »
    A few years ago, I was in the Icon with a few friends celebrating a birthday. At the end of the night, the lights went on, and I was standing at the bar chatting to a friend, when the bar man started taking nearly full bottles from the bar, re-capping them, and putting them back into the fridge. I called the barman, and told him that someone drank out of the bottle that he just capped and put in the fridge. He told me word for word "Mind your own business, I don't make the rules" and walked away!

weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 Mr.Mackey

There was talk of a another nightclub in the same area having "news spread on its behalf" by staff in the bar/club

such as

"they're charging 15e/20e in tonight" (midweek)

"they're not open at all tonight"

etc

I was about 25 at the time and my friend the same, we were watching a match on a Sun afternoon and had our dinner in there and a few drinks, my friend took off his hoody to reveil a rather camp looking see through jumper underneath, (only around the arms, it was really bad from a fashion point of view). We had about 3 drinks, my friend looks gay but isn't, when it came to the next round we were both asked for ID and when we produced ID the barman said I could stay but my friend had to leave (even with a drivers licence), I found it highly insulting at the time, my friend didn't notice and I never said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

That's the pits! I've had the manager show me serious attitude one night after questioning the price of 4 pints in the bar. When he eventually, off his arse, checked it and i was charged for a double vodka and something as well. No apology, lots of attitude and i just about got my refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

100% correct. They re-cap the bottles and put them in the "bucket" fridge so anytime you get the deal of 3 bottles for €15 or whatever the deal is these days and they come with the bucket if ice the chances of getting a re capped bottle are greater than normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

Randomly spotted this thread and couldn't leave it without commenting.
    Again, former employee but not of Smyth's or The Icon.
    I worked the function room in Scott's bar just off the Dock Road for 8 months. How I lasted that long I'll never know? I can only reiterate the points made by other posters about the management, The baldy abbreviated surnamed aforementioned to$$er. Never in my life would I wish this guy on anybody. The approach of the management and owners was to spend as little as possible by way of actual cash/courtesy/basic rights. The bar staff and chefs were lovely people but you'd have the visit from the Smyth's/Icon brigade on a daily basis basically to scream and roar why so and so hadn't been done(more often than not over very very little).The pay and working conditions were the worst i've ever experienced. I'm so glad I worked there because it makes me appreciate my current job so so much more.

Advertisement