Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sloes

• 14-10-2012 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know for certain where there's a decent crop of sloes to be had anywhere around Wicklow? I've hunted around in places I've seen them in previous years but they've either been picked already, or there just aren't any (apart from literally one or two) there and what are there are all dried up and shrivelled.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Both damson's and sloes were hit hard while in flower in late April early may by a hard frost this year there is not much around kildare or west wicklow from what i can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think you may be right ... they never got a decent chance to even flow, let alone produce berries.

I've also noticed some spots that appear to have had some berries, as there are a few inaccessible ones really high up, but they've been picked bare. I usually try to leave it as late as possible to pick myself, as the berries need time to ripen properly. You get a much better, and deeper red, sloe gin that way, but maybe I need to get out there earlier and just put up with less ripe berries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

So how is this year for sloes? anyone seen any yet?

I brought some back from South Wales while I was over there, there's shedloads of them there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I heard they are going to sell some Sloe Gin at Killruddery Farm Market at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

Alun wrote: »
    I brought some back from South Wales while I was over there, there's shedloads of them there.
    Hi Alun, when were you in Wales? Wondering whether i've left it too late for a day trip? Could bring my bicycle over and a haversack! Or the car and fill it with cheap english gin too!

I was in South Wales at the beginning of September, Pembrokeshire and Cardiganshire to be exact, walking along the coastal path. In the past I've seen loads of them on Anglesey as well.

Advertisement