Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed direct debit

Options
  • 14-10-2012 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I've had my own account for over 5 years now, never ever a problem, always paid on time

Missed a payment at the end of last month and got a letter saying that ESB would try again for the payment on the 17th and also I'm getting charged 6 euro admistration fee.

Fair enough, the money was not there to cover it.
    I was between jobs and when you are paid monthly there can be a gap before you get paid

I get paid on the 20th, can I push the payment date back from the 17th to the 20th?

I never missed one payment in years but for this one, would be easier if I wait for my months wages to be in

Next bill I'll be back on track

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi mikemac1,

Generally, it's not a problem adjusting the direct debit payment date if you know in advance that the funds will not be there to meet it; however, it's already the 15th, and if it is to be collected again on the 17th, I'm afraid we may not be able to defer it at this stage.

Standard direct debits are collected 14 days after the bills issues, but communication between Electric Ireland and the bank is initiated on the 11th day, i.e. on our side, the system sends notification to the bank about the amount to be collected at this time.

If you send us your account details (full name, address, contact no/date of birth) by private message we'll see what we can do.

Thanks,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Thanks for the reply David and sorry for bumping this old thread.

My ESB tends to fall due right around payday but it doesn't always work out.

If it's the 17th then it's trouble for me. Last bill it was the 21st which was fine but it was cutting it close to payday.
    I'm paid on the 20th.

Can my direct debit be pushed back one week. So it will always be after the 20th?

I've had my account for 5 years now, missed just one payment and I explained that in post 1.
    I'm a reliable payer, just calling for the direct debit a few days before payday isn't working out for either of us.

I want to stay direct debit, it's not that I'm struggling with bills, it's just we can time it a bit better if it's pushed by one week

I can pm my account number and details if needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi mikemac1,

What might suit you better is our equalizer option, which is a fixed monthly direct debit payment plan (currently only available to electricity customers). You would pay a set amount on a day of your choosing (any day from the 1st to the 28th of the month), and this set amount is reviewed after 12 months.

Your would still receive a bi-monthly bill as you normally would, and meter readings would still be taken by ESB Networks. As you have been a customer for a few consecutive years now, calculating a reliable monthly amount shouldn't be a problem.

If you'd like to send me your details by PM we can look into this further for you.

Thanks,
    David

Advertisement