Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celebrity Bainisteoir

• 14-10-2012 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Anyone watch this? Have always found it very entertaining and the standard of football's not half bad haha

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

My aul man and I were watching this one Sunday even during dinner and he kept complaining as to why they cant get some "celebs" who know about the game to manage the teams. He couldn't understand that them been clueless was the whole point lol :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Is that siht still going on, what celeb's from the big pool we have here are on it!!!!

Is that siht still going on, what celeb's from the big pool we have here are on it!!!!

Tipperary's very own delightful Roz Purcell is managing Newtowncashel up in Longford and to be fair to her she is giving it a good stab having beaten Jessica Lawlor (Stephen Irelands wife) and her Cork club last week.

Paddy Doherty the celebrity traveller (some Dublin club) lost to Callum Best (Some Mayo Club) the first night. Brian Ormond (St Mary's Westmeath) lost to his wife Pippa O'Connor (Some Donegal club) and Mary Byrne (St Pats of Tullow Co Carlow) of the X-Factor fame beat Richie Hayes (Tramore) of the Voice of ireland fame

I have to be honest i like the show. :) Its good exposure and generates funds for the clubs that are involved. I know talking to a few lads from the club that Killeshin benefitted greatly last year from participation and in particular Tony Cascarino as manager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Decent watch the celeb's are really famous for little or nothing however Callum Best comes across as lad you'd like to have a pint with. Roz Purcell in bikini should up the ratings next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

It kinda fecked up the year for St Pats Tullow tho. They ended up having to travel to mayo for semi final of this thing to play on a saturday...then heading back to Carlow to play a group stage Intermediate match which they lost on the Sunday.
    This loss meant they had to play a qf, and end up in more difficult end of the draw, and they lost in semi final of IFC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Stevecw wrote: »
    It kinda fecked up the year for St Pats Tullow tho. They ended up having to travel to mayo for semi final of this thing to play on a saturday...then heading back to Carlow to play a group stage Intermediate match which they lost on the Sunday.
    This loss meant they had to play a qf, and end up in more difficult end of the draw, and they lost in semi final of IFC.

Could the County Board not accommodate them?
    Other then that it must be a great competition to be involved in,raise some much needed funds for the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Davin Stand

This was OK in the earlier years, but it is well past its sell by date now. But knowing RTE they will still be running it in 10 years time. Very few new ideas in that organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

does anybody know how many clubs from the show have gone on to win their own county intermediate championship , i only watched the first 2 years and remember seeing a few had got to county finals and wondered did any get into the senior ranks ?

Kieran81 wrote: »
    does anybody know how many clubs from the show have gone on to win their own county intermediate championship , i only watched the first 2 years and remember seeing a few had got to county finals and wondered did any get into the senior ranks ?

Just know from my own county that Castleisland Desmonds who won it a few years back are still an Intermediate club,they were beaten by a point in this years championship first round

This was OK in the earlier years, but it is well past its sell by date now. But knowing RTE they will still be running it in 10 years time. Very few new ideas in that organisation.

To be fair i had heard a while back that other countries had bought the format from Kite who produce it.

I actually like the show. It does exactly what it says on the tin and isn't too cringe worthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Could the County Board not accommodate them?
    Other then that it must be a great competition to be involved in,raise some much needed funds for the clubs.
    The County Board's number one priority is to its own competitions and their wider body of competitors.

They don't dance to the tune of some fly by night reality TV show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

Roz Purcell in a bikini, I'm easily lead. Count me in.

Id say there was pile of fellas coming out of retirement for that training session :) Dusting off the World Cups

That Pippa one comes across as cow and i'm glad her team lost. Beauty v the Best in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

That Roz is some beore, unrail to think that came out of Tipp. Every cloud, silver lining etc.

That Roz is some beore, unrail to think that came out of Tipp. Every cloud, silver lining etc.

To think she grew up just 16 miles from where im living. An absolute cracker and to be fair to her she seems a genuine lovely girl also in my opinion.

Quote of the night was from the Longford player "Get the one of the best looking girls in Ireland into your bed and you sleep on the couch"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the concept of the programme is great and there are some good moments in it, but the editing and production of it is so cringe, that its hard to take it serious.

theres alot of potential in it, but RTE just dont have what it takes to go to the next step. if they cut out all the s*it and concentrated on the GAA itself, this would be a really good program.

some of the people they get to be the managers are not up to this though, which just adds to the cringe factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Roz <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I'd say some of the players never thought it could get so hard at Football training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Any word on how the final is going in parnell park this evening?

Cashel 0-5 Moy Davitts 0-6 half time.

Thanks, found them on twitter.

8 a piece now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Moy Davitts win 9 - 8 not at it, but that is what I was just rang with as final update.

Just seen it on twittwat. Congrats Davitts :) Will be some party in Dublin Tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Heard the pitch was fairly cut up after this game. Hopefully its ok for county final tomorrow night. Its fairly wet in Dublin today.

Think CB is a great competition, especially for the clubs involved. Gives ordinary intermediate players a chance to play on a big stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I wish they'd do a hurling version

Get junior hurling clubs from different counties - eg Leitrim, Longford, Westmeath, Mayo

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I wish they'd do a hurling version

Get junior hurling clubs from different counties - eg Leitrim, Longford, Westmeath, Mayo

Could be a good idea tbf. There is a bit of snobbery in the stronger counties regarding hurling in the weaker counties.

There is some clubs in the non hurling counties like Keady, Middletown (both Armagh) Four Roads and Athleague (Roscommon) etc, that take their hurling very seriously. If we could just see a club from a weaker county and the preparation work they put in up to a game it might change certain false perceptions.

I know hurling for example is becoming very popular talking to people from Meath. with their proximity to Dublin and the population size i think it wouldnt be a bad idea for them to copy the Dublin model.

Back on topic i was very impressed last week with the standard of free taking from the Longford man. Is he a county player?

I've no doubt Moy Davitts had a plan to curtail him because if you gave him a free there was only one place it was going.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Roz was out for her run by Merrion Square this morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I can't concentrate on anything other than Roz' top lip.

It looks like she got head butted, it's so swelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Moy Davitts lads fairly celebrating tonight in Mayo, fair play to them. No sign of their 'manager' fukced off after the game to open a nightclub in Bray, arrived back at 3 am, didnt even buy the lads a drink. They not too fond of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Moy Davitts lads fairly celebrating tonight in Mayo, fair play to them. No sign of their 'manager' fukced off after the game to open a nightclub in Bray, arrived back at 3 am, didnt even buy the lads a drink. They not too fond of him.

He's an insincere egotistical @rsehole. He ponces around women, acting like their best friend, when he wants to get into their pants. I've seen his routine. It works for sure. However, he's a snake in the grass. The way he acted around the footballers always came across as very artificial to me. F@ck him and the train he came in on

Rasheed wrote: »
    I can't concentrate on anything other than Roz' top lip.

It looks like she got head butted, it's so swelled.

Her lips are mad alrite. Tbh ive cant remember the last time i seen anyone with lips as big.Wouldnt bother me though. Still a cracking looking lassie and i would also say a lovely girl but a bit too dramatic. That said i reckon she did get involved with the lads and seemed to have a bit of knowledge of the game.

Her local club in Tipp, Kilsheelan-Kilcash could do worse then get her involved and one thing for certain, Bill Maher -their star dual county player and captain of this years Tipp minor hurlers - well he probably wouldnt ask for a transfer :D
    I believe she likes her run alrite and it shows. A friend of mine is going out with a girl down that direction and passed her on the road as she was running one day

• Advertisement

Ally Dick wrote: »
    He's an insincere egotistical @rsehole. He ponces around women, acting like their best friend, when he wants to get into their pants. I've seen his routine. It works for sure. However, he's a snake in the grass. The way he acted around the footballers always came across as very artificial to me. F@ck him and the train he came in on

He gave more time shaping to the gallery then encouraging his team. A sheer deuchebag.

He gave more time shaping to the gallery then encouraging his team. A sheer deuchebag.

He's like his father before him - a selfish, vain b@stard !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

He thought the point before half time was "out". (Camera didn't catch that one fully)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

He's like his father before him - a selfish, vain b@stard !

In fairness his father had a talent

In fairness his father had a talent

Indeed. A far more affable man also.

• Advertisement

Indeed. A far more affable man also.

Another arrogant swine. He was asked was he the greatest footballer of all time before, and he said "Well Pele said that I was". Self praise is no praise

Another arrogant swine. He was asked was he the greatest footballer of all time before, and he said "Well Pele said that I was". Self praise is no praise

Ha ha to be fair he was pissed half the time he gave interviews.

I always thought Georgie came across as likeable and harmless in the media. Yes he had a bit of arrogance about him but he had every right to be as he was an unbelievable footballer. To see him gliding through defences on mucky pitches was a joy to behold. He was unmarkable.

He was definately up there with the greatest players like Pele, Maradona, and Cruyff in my opinion. He was magic. He was a good bit before my time but any video ive watched of him he was absolutely top drawer.

Considering how good he actually was i think he came across as fairly likeable.

Really hope RTE do another series,hurling would be an interesting one few clubs down here would jump at the chance to play in it and Im
    sure the clubs in the other weaker hurling counties would also jump at the chance,could have clubs from the Christy Ring Cup,Nicky Rackard Cup and Lory Meagher Cup counties,

I enjoyed watching the final,must be great to be involved in,small clubs getting a chance to play in what probably will be the biggest game the club will ever play in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 undecidedtoday

Was at the final in Parnell Park. The editing on RTE didn't do it justice. Felt that the last free of the game was a bit dodgy.
    The free taker from Newtown cashel, isn't a county player, though I'm sure he'd be a good addition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Was at the final in Parnell Park. The editing on RTE didn't do it justice. Felt that the last free of the game was a bit dodgy.
    The free taker from Newtown cashel, isn't a county player, though I'm sure he'd be a good addition

You are right about the last free. The goalie nearly always gets the benefit of the doubt in those cases. However, he was bad for both sides. There was one incident where a Moy Davitts defender was swung around beside the referee who didn't blow up. The players all stopped by themselves though and the defender took a free while the Cashel lads all reteated 14 yards. Bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Is it true that the Moy Davitts lads really didnt like Calum Best?

From watching the final show, it appeared like Roz Purcell had a much better bond with her players than Calum did with his!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 undecidedtoday

Is it true that the Moy Davitts lads really didnt like Calum Best?

From watching the final show, it appeared like Roz Purcell had a much better bond with her players than Calum did with his!

Heard that too. Apparently they didn't see much of him between games. Roz on the other hand was at everything. She even went to the matches that weren't part of the show and various fundraisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Has this been done away with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Has this been done away with?

Hopefully!

Advertisement