Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish A1/Grammar tips?

• 14-10-2012 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all I just mainly lucky for some advice on Irish grammar.
    I am consistent enough B student in Irish but I am looking for high B/A.
    My weakness in Irish lies in grammar...I can speak it fairly well but sometimes I find it difficult to construct some sentences. At the moment I am focusing on vocab and my tenses but stuff like when to use seimhiu's and uru's confuses me.
    Any tips in how to improve in this area?
    Also any general tips on how to achieve an A1 in irish?...I have been listening to Radio na Gaeltachta and doing cluaistuiscint to try and improve at the moment :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

David1994 wrote: »
    Hi all I just mainly lucky for some advice on Irish grammar.
    I am consistent enough B student in Irish but I am looking for high B/A.
    My weakness in Irish lies in grammar...I can speak it fairly well but sometimes I find it difficult to construct some sentences. At the moment I am focusing on vocab and my tenses but stuff like when to use seimhiu's and uru's confuses me.
    Any tips in how to improve in this area?
    Also any general tips on how to achieve an A1 in irish?...I have been listening to Radio na Gaeltachta and doing cluaistuiscint to try and improve at the moment :P
    My teacher went over all the tenses with us and really drummed them into us. I suggest you go over each tense on its own and really learn it. Then test yourself by writing out a list of verbs in English like 'she goes swimming every day' until you get bored. Seriously, it works! For other aspects of grammar I suppose you just need to drill it into you. I sometimes write things I have a hard time in remembering on a sticky note and stick it on the wall where I do my homework so everything I sit down I see it. It's quite helpful! Then you just need to do loads of questions! Also, if you think of common phrases/sentences you use with that particular grammar aspect in it it can help. For example I always remember that i takes an uru because of 'i mBaile Atha Claith', 'faoin mbord' etc.
    If you need any other help just ask :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Learn some cases (mainly genitive and dative), and honestly, just have a broad vocabulary and know your grammar and youll be fine for the essay at least. :) To improve on them I'd advise finding a grammar book, probably a JC one tbh, they overestimate how well grammar is taught - it's really useful to go back to basics.

I honestly couldn't tell you when a h is and isn't required definitively (and I got an A1 :pac:), but urus are used with ar an, ag an, or in the genitive like "lion na ndaoine". And compound prepositions like "faoin".

The dative case causes h's, which is why that and the genitive are good to learn, and because the comprehensions sometimes ask for them. H's are used in feminine words e.g. "an fear" but "an bhean", and in the genitive "hata an fhir".

My general tip for the A1 would be overdo the essay. I stayed til 10 minutes before the end and wrote ~1100 words and got 96/100, so that and the oral - ace them. :P The rest is easy because if you know your oral you're a bit more ready for the aural, and if you know the grammar for the essay, everything else is easy! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

The oral is an integral part..work work work! Read foinse! Grammar isnt bad..focis on tenses caite laithreach y faistineach nd modh choinniolach too.. The following take a h ar do de faoi mar roimh timpeall tri um .. Le and go before a guta take h le haine..go hinis srl.. Know also an aidiacht shealbhach, a chota his coat..a cota her coat.. A gcotai their coats .. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Thanks for all the advice guys! Yeah my tenses are pretty good if I may say so myself :pac: but I have started coming to grips with when you actually use uru's and seimhiu's.
    Also I know this is nothing to do with grammar but how much pages do you think is the right amount for each section?..My Irish teacher has lengthened some A Thig Na Tit Orm answers because seemingly they want them longer or something :P

Thanks for all the advice guys! Yeah my tenses are pretty good if I may say so myself :pac: but I have started coming to grips with when you actually use uru's and seimhiu's.
    Also I know this is nothing to do with grammar but how much pages do you think is the right amount for each section?..My Irish teacher has lengthened some A Thig Na Tit Orm answers because seemingly they want them longer or something :P
    They always tell you it's quality over quantity but honestly it's a bit of both. :P For the essay I wrote 5 pages (you have so much time, theres little reason not to), for the poem I wrote around 3 pages in total (I think I got 25/30), for Hurlamaboc I wrote 3 or 4 (again, they say 2, but aim to impress them :D) and got 30/30, and An Triail was around 3 or 4, and I got 40/40. The BIG thing is to constantly remind the examiner why this point is relevant. I generally did it out of habit and to fill up some space, but its a really, really good thing to do - they wrote a little "fm" (meaning fimineacht, and fulaingt mhaire for An Triail) every time I did it. That goes for every subject though, shows you didn't learn off an answer like. :)

The comprehensions are just as long as the answers make them. This year, and maybe next year - I'm not sure if it's a trend or if it was a once off thing - you can just take them straight from the text so yeah, couldn't be easier. :P

• Advertisement

Patchy~ wrote: »
    They always tell you it's quality over quantity but honestly it's a bit of both. :P For the essay I wrote 5 pages (you have so much time, theres little reason not to), for the poem I wrote around 3 pages in total (I think I got 25/30), for Hurlamaboc I wrote 3 or 4 (again, they say 2, but aim to impress them :D) and got 30/30, and An Triail was around 3 or 4, and I got 40/40. The BIG thing is to constantly remind the examiner why this point is relevant. I generally did it out of habit and to fill up some space, but its a really, really good thing to do - they wrote a little "fm" (meaning fimineacht, and fulaingt mhaire for An Triail) every time I did it. That goes for every subject though, shows you didn't learn off an answer like. :)

The comprehensions are just as long as the answers make them. This year, and maybe next year - I'm not sure if it's a trend or if it was a once off thing - you can just take them straight from the text so yeah, couldn't be easier. :P

Ah ok thats great :D Yeah I still unsure if the comprehensions are the same this year..Hopefully! Our teacher was saying that they are really looking for longer answers then usual or something so I think you just proved that seems the case :D Thanks again Patch! :)

Ah ok thats great :D Yeah I still unsure if the comprehensions are the same this year..Hopefully! Our teacher was saying that they are really looking for longer answers then usual or something so I think you just proved that seems the case :D Thanks again Patch! :)
    Yeah there was a lot of confusion this year too, but I can't see why they'd go and change it again! My teacher emailed the chief examiner last year to verify that we didn't have to change it, might be no harm to ask yours to do it too if it's bothering you - it's soooo much handier when you don't have to. :pac:
    No problem! :)

Yeah there was a lot of confusion this year too, but I can't see why they'd go and change it again! My teacher emailed the chief examiner last year to verify that we didn't have to change it, might be no harm to ask yours to do it too if it's bothering you - it's soooo much handier when you don't have to. :pac:
    No problem! :)

Yeah the effort of doing them in your own words is just like..ugh :pac: I might ask him tomorrow! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

It was just a once off thing. According to my Irish teacher, they made a mistake last year when it came to writing the answers in your own words! So this year, you have to try and write them in your own words i.e. not copying directly from the text unfortunately. :)

It was just a once off thing. According to my Irish teacher, they made a mistake last year when it came to writing the answers in your own words! So this year, you have to try and write them in your own words i.e. not copying directly from the text unfortunately. :)
    Uhhh nope it wasn't a mistake! What probably happened was your teacher wasn't expecting it and thinks it was a mistake, but it was actually announced at some point, but no one really knew. The same thing is probably happening this year (misinformation I mean) but I think it's part of the new course that you don't have to - it'd be really weird to just do it for one year, since it had the intended effect of boosting Irish grades. :P

• Advertisement

Uhhh nope it wasn't a mistake! What probably happened was your teacher wasn't expecting it and thinks it was a mistake, but it was actually announced at some point, but no one really knew. The same thing is probably happening this year (misinformation I mean) but I think it's part of the new course that you don't have to - it'd be really weird to just do it for one year, since it had the intended effect of boosting Irish grades. :P

My teacher went to an irish teacher's conference earlier on in the year and they said at it that answers must be in your own words. And she was fully aware that last year, you didn't have to put them in your own words! It is weird to only change the rules for one year, but that's the way it seems to be. OP, ask your teacher tomorrow and see what he says. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

My teacher never said anything about this and tbh I trust her. :confused: I mean, I know you can't really trust exam paper companies but it'd be a bit of a massive fail on EDCO's part that all their sample papers don't say 'scriobh na freagraí i d'fhocal fein'...

Granted I can see why they'd revert back to the old way what with the grade inflation (well I heard they had to mark people down because there were too many A's) last year and that bar q6, the comprehensions are little more than word-searches but I dunno, I'll have to see that before I believe it. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Lads when ye talk about not having to change the wording in the text (if that does still apply this year) do you mean that all you have to do is literally quote from the text? Would you get full marks on a question with 100% quote or do you form your answer around that quote?

Like in the first comprehension in 2012 for the first question would ya get full marks for just writing "Mar is iondúil cuirfear spéis ar leith sa Pheantatlan agus sa Deacatlan... In aimsir na sean-Ghréig ba iad an dá comortais sin teist an fhíorlaoch"? Would direct quoting like that with absolutely no manipulation be enough for full marks?

Slow Show wrote: »
    My teacher never said anything about this and tbh I trust her. :confused: I mean, I know you can't really trust exam paper companies but it'd be a bit of a massive fail on EDCO's part that all their sample papers don't say 'scriobh na freagraí i d'fhocal fein'...

Granted I can see why they'd revert back to the old way what with the grade inflation (well I heard they had to mark people down because there were too many A's) last year and that bar q6, the comprehensions are little more than word-searches but I dunno, I'll have to see that before I believe it. :P
    Well actually, in our 2012 sample papers they did write "Bíodh na fregraí i d'fhocal féin" and the same in the mocks! No one seems to know what's going on with it every year.
    Lads when ye talk about not having to change the wording in the text (if that does still apply this year) do you mean that all you have to do is literally quote from the text? Would you get full marks on a question with 100% quote or do you form your answer around that quote?

Like in the first comprehension in 2012 for the first question would ya get full marks for just writing "Mar is iondúil cuirfear spéis ar leith sa Pheantatlan agus sa Deacatlan... In aimsir na sean-Ghréig ba iad an dá comortais sin teist an fhíorlaoch"? Would direct quoting like that with absolutely no manipulation be enough for full marks?
    Yep. I don't remember the comprehensions too well but I literally took it straight from the text in both and got 92/100. Easiest marks ever if they don't change it back this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Probably not. It is recommended to answer the question the way it was phrased. So, you'd say, something like,

In aimsir na sean-Ghréig, B'í na dhá chomórtais, an Peantatlan agus an Deacatlan (meastar fúthú gurb iad croí agus anam na gcluichí iad ) teist an fhíorlaoich.

Also, it is likely you could leave out the part in the brackets.

They are the easiest part of the paper though! With a bit of practice, you'll be getting near full marks in them! I got 98/100 in them overall on the day!

Sound .. cheers guys!

Gonna look into this cos' it seems to be pretty easy marks either way :D

I asked my teacher again about the whole "in your own words" thing again, and she said that they definitely said it at the conference she went to about having to put them in your own words. So now I'm even more confused than ever! I even emailed the state examination commission about it but haven't received a reply yet. :)

I asked my teacher again about the whole "in your own words" thing again, and she said that they definitely said it at the conference she went to about having to put them in your own words. So now I'm even more confused than ever! I even emailed the state examination commission about it but haven't received a reply yet. :)

Keep us posted :p

Keep us posted :p

Will do! If hear anything back. :)

So this is what the Chief Examiner emailed me today:
    I gcás mharcáil na bhfreagraí léamhthuisceana ,mar atá leagtha amach sa scéim mharcála i mbliana,tá an tsaoirse ag iarrthóirí ceist 1-ceist 5 a fhreagairt i bhfocail an tsleachta nó ina bhfocail féin ach amháin go mbíonn orthu an t-athrú pearsan a dhéanamh,más gá. I gcás cheist 6(b),ní mór do na hiarrthóirí an freagra a chur ina bhfocail féin. Má bhíonn aon athbhreithniú ar an gcur chuige seo,cuirfear an t-eolas ar fáil .
    Is mise,le meas
    I told my Irish teacher and she said it was news to her considering what they said at the conference last year but she did say, that if you are able to, make the effort to put them in your own words, and I agree. A higher level student should make some effort to put the answers in their own words unless of course you can't make sense of the question what-so-ever! :)

• Advertisement

I told my Irish teacher and she said it was news to her considering what they said at the conference last year but she did say, that if you are able to, make the effort to put them in your own words, and I agree. A higher level student should make some effort to put the answers in their own words unless of course you can't make sense of the question what-so-ever! :)

I don't know about this advice. Like I know that as a higher level student we should be able to do this, and honestly, while not complaining about it, I think it's a bit of a joke that you don't have to, but if you want to get as close to 100/100 in the leamthuiscints as possible, there's probably a bigger chance of error if you're putting it into your own words. Also it generally takes longer, and P2 is fairly tough on time as it is. That's just my two cents on the matter anyway, everyone's different, I just know I most likely won't be making the effort to put them into my own words. :P

Thanks for asking, it's great to have that cleared up! :)

Thanks for getting that checked out :) It may look better if you write it in your own words but I don't think it will make any difference...Like I don't see the point of doing it in your own words(the effort of that lioke :P ) when you can just copy and paste and get the same marks :L

Great news :D 100 marks going for something that easy is brilliant!

Slow Show wrote: »
    I don't know about this advice. Like I know that as a higher level student we should be able to do this, and honestly, while not complaining about it, I think it's a bit of a joke that you don't have to, but if you want to get as close to 100/100 in the leamthuiscints as possible, there's probably a bigger chance of error if you're putting it into your own words. Also it generally takes longer, and P2 is fairly tough on time as it is. That's just my two cents on the matter anyway, everyone's different, I just know I most likely won't be making the effort to put them into my own words. :P

Thanks for asking, it's great to have that cleared up! :)
    I just have to chip in here that Slow Show is completely right :P The essay is your chance to show off grammar knowledge. My teacher warned us of "die hard" correctors who'll try to penalise anyone not rephrasing them but honestly, it's your best bet - I barely lost any marks by doing it. If its something definite that you know like "bhí sí ag gol" instead of ag caoineadh it's fine, but don't try to overcomplicate it and lose marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 galwaypenguin

Hi guys, does anybody have any notes for a thig ná tit orm? I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it. I have an exam on it this wed and am really freaking out! Teacher has given us no hints....anybody doing it?
    Have any idea of what questions could be asked?

And what could I cover to save my butt for most questions?

Thanks guys.

Sorry for bumping a really old thread (not even sure if anyone will see this :p) but do any of ye have advice for the Cluastuiscint? I've practiced loads of them and more I often understand like 90% of what I hear and the questions too so finding the actual answer is never too hard but I always lose an stack of marks because of spelling :( Seriously, this is becoming the absolute bane of life, it's stressing me out so much lately :( Advice anyone? I was thinking of getting a list of the placenames in and around Gealteacht areas cos' apparently ya get zero marks for mis-spelling a place name and the Gaelteacht ones always come up. After that though, I've no idea how to sort this. What do anyone of you guys advise? :)

Thanks in advance lads :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Sorry for bumping a really old thread (not even sure if anyone will see this :p) but do any of ye have advice for the Cluastuiscint? I've practiced loads of them and more I often understand like 90% of what I hear and the questions too so finding the actual answer is never too hard but I always lose an stack of marks because of spelling :( Seriously, this is becoming the absolute bane of life, it's stressing me out so much lately :( Advice anyone? I was thinking of getting a list of the placenames in and around Gealteacht areas cos' apparently ya get zero marks for mis-spelling a place name and the Gaelteacht ones always come up. After that though, I've no idea how to sort this. What do anyone of you guys advise? :)

Thanks in advance lads :D

Have a look at the marking scheme on examinations.ie. Only a small % of the marks in the actual test are for spelling. Your teacher might just be trying to push you at this stage to work on your spelling. By all means look up places names like Gaoth Dobhair but absolutely anywhere could come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheFlayedMan

Yeah, you can only lose a maximum of I think 10 marks on spelling, so don't worry too much.

dory wrote: »
    Have a look at the marking scheme on examinations.ie. Only a small % of the marks in the actual test are for spelling. Your teacher might just be trying to push you at this stage to work on your spelling. By all means look up places names like Gaoth Dobhair but absolutely anywhere could come up.
    I thought the exact same so I actually e-mailed the SEC about it and this is what I got back from them

Seo a leanas cúpla treoir a thugtar do scrúdaitheoirí agus iad ag marcáil na bhfreagraí cluastuisceana ag an ardleibhéal:

1.Ni mór don fhocal a bheith an-chóngarach don leagan ceart ó thaobh litrithe de..an chéad litir den fhocal riachtanach agus a bheith i gceart...mar shampla..”Iúil”..caithfidh an “I” a bheith ag tús an fhocail...”úil”=0 ...mar an gcéanna le “Contae Fhear Manach”...gá leis an “F” ag tús an fhocail chun aon aitheantas a thabhairt dó. “Contae Armanach”=0

2.Má tá brí eile leis an bhfocal sa Ghaeilge,ní ghlactar leis....mar shampla...”talún” v “talann”...”bán” v “.....na mban”

3.I gcás ainmneacha áiteanna,ní mór don litriú a bheith an-chruinn.

4.Ní ghlactar le litriú a bhfuil rian láidir an Bhéarla air.
    It pretty much confirms my worst fears, zero for any mis-spelling, unfortunately :(
    Yeah, you can only lose a maximum of I think 10 marks on spelling, so don't worry too much.
    This used to be the way for the old course but it's change since, I think.

Thanks for the replies though :)

• Advertisement

In the marking scheme last year they definitely gave marks for spelling Ul instead of Iuil. I don't really know how an examiner can give someone marks for saying the 20th of Apple but yeah...

That's annoying though, I thought you'd only get 0 if your misspelling meant something else entirely (really dunno what was going on with Ul).

Advertisement