Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the mainstream become worse?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

LOL at the stating of an opinion as "fact". No, it's not a fact that all death metal musicians are talentless. It's the narrow-minded opinion of someone who barely listens to that music and thus knows jack-sh*t about it.

And I'm not even a fan of any kind of metal. Writing off entire genres on the basis that you don't like it and then saying that it's a "fact" that everyone involved in it is talentless is just plain stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Unless it's dubstep...

Unless it's dubstep...

Nope. It's still stupid.

Nope. It's still stupid.

Dubstep is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Trampas

spam

• Advertisement

Dubstep is stupid.

In your opinion. Doesn't make it a fact.

In your opinion. Doesn't make it a fact.

It's fact, it's self evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

all these discussions about facts and opinions always bring me a headache. I suggest some people should go and find the definitions of these two words.
    I had to look up what dubstep is to make sure I understand what we are talking about. The only name that really ringed any bell was Clubroot (and I don't know if the list I was looking was accurate at all). And I find his music (the bit I've listened to decent.

I'd say it's highly unlikely that all dubstep musicians are talentless. That would be a generalization I would find rather. . . naive (???). And that's definitely my opinion, not a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 IvanM

all thats happened is the new generation are brought up with shallow, materialistic, sexual music and music videos and thats now developed into the crap we have on the radio now
    mainstream is crap now, i completely agree
    good musicians and good music are still out there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

LOL at the stating of an opinion as "fact". No, it's not a fact that all death metal musicians are talentless. It's the narrow-minded opinion of someone who barely listens to that music and thus knows jack-sh*t about it.

And I'm not even a fan of any kind of metal. Writing off entire genres on the basis that you don't like it and then saying that it's a "fact" that everyone involved in it is talentless is just plain stupid.

Agreed, its become far too conventional for a person to write off a whole genre based on hearing a few popular tracks, and then making stereotypes to make a claim their argument is "fact".

I used to think all rap was bad and there was no talent in the genre, that was until I heard Chuck D, P.O.S., Z-Ro and Death Grips.

Rap aside, if genres like dubstep were made of musicians with no talent why isn't everyone doing it? It takes a certain talent to write and record music, regardless of blandness or how safe it is, it just cannot be done by anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Self evident to you. Also, notice the word "self". It's quite appropriate that you used that word.

Wrong again.
    karaokeman wrote: »
    Agreed, its become far too conventional for a person to write off a whole genre based on hearing a few popular tracks, and then making stereotypes to make a claim their argument is "fact".

I used to think all rap was bad and there was no talent in the genre, that was until I heard Chuck D, P.O.S., Z-Ro and Death Grips.

Rap aside, if genres like dubstep were made of musicians with no talent why isn't everyone doing it? It takes a certain talent to write and record music, regardless of blandness or how safe it is, it just cannot be done by anyone.

Metal and hip hop seem to be the ones that are written off by people who know nothing about them the most.

Getting back to what the original point of the topic was, I do think that there is loads of great music still being made today. We do have to look a bit further than the charts to find it, but it is there. The internet has opened all kinds of doors to the point where it's possible to find literally anything to suit everybody's tastes. I do think that, for the most part, chart music is suffering and the current brand of popstar, particularly female, is a little disheartening. It's becoming more and more important to be sexy and outrageous than it is to be musically interesting and talented in the mainstream. Rihanna is a perfect example of this.

That said, when you look at the artists who sell out tours, it is a reminder that there is still a lot of support for great music out there. Getting a number 1 isn't as important anymore (this has been caused by illegal downloading more than a lack of quality in music, in my opinion). Touring and gigging is where it's at now, as far as I can see. Radiohead still sell out tours. There's always a mad scramble for tickets any time Arcade Fire announce a gig. The Black Keys sold out Madison Square Garden in 15 minutes. Fiona Apple sold out the Hollywood Palladium for her comeback in July. There was lines of people around the block in LA to see Frank Ocean perform at the Wiltern over the summer (he is one of the best artists to emerge in years, in my opinion). There still is a market for good music, it's just that people seem to be more willing to pay to see an artist live than buy the record in a shop these days.

Wrong again.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man

Exactly. There is a vast difference between opinion and fact.

It would be an opinion to regard Wayne Rooney and Steven Gerrard as rubbish untalented and overrated. A bizarre opinion, but an opinion nonetheless. However, it would be a fact to state that Paul McShane is a terrible footballer, and anyone who would claim he is a top class defender is quite simply wrong.

In the same sense, it is an opinion to regard any amount of bands as being overrated, but one can differentiate between overrated blandness (like the Chillis for example) versus overrated artists who do not even have an ounce of talent. It is a fact that most death metal and Dubstep artists are complete rubbish. Would you call me closed minded for saying the Black Eyed Peas are sh1te? Is it fact, or opinion. I would regard it as fact more than anything.

Basically, if you think the Chillis are a great band, I disagree with your opinion, but respect it. If you reckon most of the Dubstep artists are talented, I simply call it plainly incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It is a fact that most death metal and Dubstep artists are complete rubbish.

I don't really like most death metal or dubstep either but that is an opinion, not fact.

Exactly. There is a vast difference between opinion and fact.

There sure is, and I think you need to look up the definitions.

There sure is, and I think you need to look up the definitions.

What I mean is that I honestly do not think anybody who rates Skrillex etc has an opinion worth listening to. If I said that LMFAO were a better act than The Beatles, would that be an opinion worth listening to?

On the comedy Peep Show, a long running plot device through the series has been Jez and Super Hans being completely self absorbed in the idea that they are edgy, pioneering electronica artists, despite the fact they have produced barely any tracks and most of what they have made sounds like a really, really bad version of The Prodigy. Dubstep is, essentially, the same level- a bunch of no marks who are completely self absorbed in their own importance who have somehow managed to get a significant amount of the paying public to buy their sh1t music and go to their sh1t gigs. It really is chin strokery of the highest order.

Meh, still beats Skrillex :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

For somebody who's such an expert on Dubstep and the levels of talent across the whole genre, I've yet to hear you refer to an artist other than Skrillex.

Blisterman wrote: »
    For somebody who's such an expert on Dubstep and the levels of talent across the whole genre, I've yet to hear you refer to an artist other than Skrillex.

I mentioned Skream and Caspa earlier.

All of the South London originating stuff may as well have been made by the same one guy anyway.

What I mean is that I honestly do not think anybody who rates Skrillex etc has an opinion worth listening to. If I said that LMFAO were a better act than The Beatles, would that be an opinion worth listening to?

Might not be worth listening to, but it's still only an opinion, not a fact.

• Advertisement

Might not be worth listening to, but it's still only an opinion, not a fact.

nah, it's pretty much a fact. Like Five will never be as good as Queen, it's just self evident.

Advertisement