Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Sensation on Vanilla Jelly Bean

• 14-10-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Any know if it's possible to run a HTC Sensation on Vanilla Jelly Bean? I use an iphone but recently got a Nexus 7 which I think is great, would really like to use my OH's HTC Sensation but at the moment I think its running ice cream sandwich. Would really like to use her phone but only if it's the same os as my nexus 7 as I can't stand HTC sense.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭beardo81

Is her phone running ICS Sense at the moment? If you root it you can install a Jellybean ROM, im using one on my Sensation and its a joy to use. XDA has all the info you need. Would you be confident enought to root the phone?
    censuspro wrote: »
    Any know if it's possible to run a HTC Sensation on Vanilla Jelly Bean? I use an iphone but recently got a Nexus 7 which I think is great, would really like to use my OH's HTC Sensation but at the moment I think its running ice cream sandwich. Would really like to use her phone but only if it's the same os as my nexus 7 as I can't stand HTC sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

beardo81 wrote: »
    Is her phone running ICS Sense at the moment? If you root it you can install a Jellybean ROM, im using one on my Sensation and its a joy to use. XDA has all the info you need. Would you be confident enought to root the phone?

I've only started using android recently since I got the Nexus 7 so I don't think I could root the phone. Not sure what version of HTC Sense the phone is using either.

Also, why do the hardware providers put their own bloatware on these phones?

Rooting is not really that difficult, simple as following instructions really. Here is a step by step guide, including how to install your first ROM
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1192300

Here is the ROM is use, excellent Jellybean ROM
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1879111

Companies like to put their own 'skin' on the Android OS, it always slows things down however. They all do it, HTC, Samsung, Sony, the only vanilla out of the box experience can be gotten on the Nexus devices.

Give it a try, you'll never look back! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Rooting is not really that difficult, simple as following instructions really. Here is a step by step guide, including how to install your first ROM
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1192300

Here is the ROM is use, excellent Jellybean ROM
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1879111

Companies like to put their own 'skin' on the Android OS, it always slows things down however. They all do it, HTC, Samsung, Sony, the only vanilla out of the box experience can be gotten on the Nexus devices.

Give it a try, you'll never look back! :D

Thanks for the links, I assume installing a ROM is like jailbreaking the phone?
    Also, I notice on the link it describes it a S off, do u know what that means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I've rooted my sensation xe and tried to put the above rom on but it keeps getting stuck on the jb boot screen. Anyone been in a similar situation?

• Advertisement

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    I've rooted my sensation xe and tried to put the above rom on but it keeps getting stuck on the jb boot screen. Anyone been in a similar situation?

You need to use 4EXT when you boot into recovery to install this ROM, you will find that on the XDA site also, there's a free version AFAIK (that's what I use anyway)

Yes rooting is similar to Jailbreaking, there's much more you do do with it on Android though compared to iPhone.

S-off just means you can 'write' to the phone, installing new ROM's and such. HTC phones usually come 'S-on', meaning you have to turn this off to write to it.

It is all sounds a lot more daunting than it actually is. Just following instructions. If I can do it anyone can!! It really is like getting a new phone after installing a nice new ROM, the difference is night and day.
    censuspro wrote: »
    Thanks for the links, I assume installing a ROM is like jailbreaking the phone?
    Also, I notice on the link it describes it a S off, do u know what that means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

You need to use 4EXT when you boot into recovery to install this ROM, you will find that on the XDA site also, there's a free version AFAIK (that's what I use anyway)

Thanks, I'll give it a go and report back.

Advertisement