Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irritating things people say that are easier said than done

• 14-10-2012 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

- Be confident
    - Approach people
    - Enjoy life
    - Have fun

- On breakups
    Just get over it and move on, there's plenty more fish in the sea

- On feeling down
    Just pull yourself together

Honestly, it's like putting someone in a car that's never driven before and telling them "drive" :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

-On economic policy

'Sure if we just pay back all the bond holders it'll be grand'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Fritzl Funderland

What time will you be home at

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"Go f**k yourself."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

"Don't lick your lips" - while eating a Superquinn Jam Doughnut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

To women: "grow a pair would ya!?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

'I literally...' fill in the annoying thing people don't literally do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

- Be confident
    - Approach people
    - Enjoy life
    - Have fun

- On breakups
    Just get over it and move on, there's plenty more fish in the sea

- On feeling down
    Just pull yourself together

Honestly, it's like putting someone in a car that's never driven before and telling them "drive" :rolleyes:

Good rant. I went through something last year. I met someone and it turned out that he fed me a pack of lies afterwards, fcuking with my head. I was not in love with the man and I didn't build up a fantasy relationship with him in my head but neither could I understand: why lie. Someone else would probably say: Jesus what a pr1ck and that attitude was at the back of my head but his excuses also gave me a false hope which killed me and brought me down. Lies are hurtful. Nothing sits right and it wrecks your head. One year on, it's fading but still with me. Get over it I was told, even by the b0llocks himself.

In relation to your thread title, I can't think of anything at the top of my head but something might come to me yet. I do agree with your statements.

"Go f**k yourself."

Those yoga classes I got you aren't working, no? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Telling a depressed person to cheer up is terrible.

I know one or two lads that get all worked up if you tell them you're not going out. I might say I'm busy in the morning and their response would be along the lines of don't be such an asshole... lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

Nothing annoys me more than random strangers thinking they have the right to pass comments to other people. Was crying in town one day last year, had been let go from my job that day & just had a call to say I'd lost a family member. Some nosey fcuker strolls passed me 'AH CHEER UP LOVE, MIGHT NEVER HAPPEN?' ... Genuinely wanted to kick him in the balls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Turtyturd wrote: »
    'I literally...' fill in the annoying thing people don't literally do.

The follow on from that is the "I would rather..."

Like "I would rather scratch my eyes out than watch Sex and the City". No you wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

'I'll sleep in the wet patch'.... she always says that to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

You shouldnt be so quiet :rolleyes: Saying thats really gonna help a quiet person... or worse, why are you so quiet? orr you should talk more..really anything like that is very annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Shinaynay wrote: »
    Nothing annoys me more than random strangers thinking they have the right to pass comments to other people. Was crying in town one day last year, had been let go from my job that day & just had a call to say I'd lost a family member. Some nosey fcuker strolls passed me 'AH CHEER UP LOVE, MIGHT NEVER HAPPEN?' ... Genuinely wanted to kick him in the balls

+1

Can't stand this. Was at a bar one night. My friends were there but it was a pretty big place and I slipped away for a drink by myself at the bar. I'd had an awful day. Like you, had received bad news so I just wanted to be by myself. And a lad comes up to me and says "Ah come on cheer up luv. Give me a smile there"

Felt like boxing him in the face. Is that you're idea of a good chat up line when someone is visibly upset. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Replying to this thread was easier said that done ..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

"They're not your friends"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

"Get over it". No I fooking well won't :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

mattjack wrote: »
    'I'll sleep in the wet patch'.... she always says that to me..

To me as well.. trying to guilt trip me into fixing the leak in the roof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

get over it,she's not worth it :)

b1tch!!

edit just seen eve's post above.glad its just not me :)

Replying to this thread was easier said that done ..
    Had trouble making the post fit? ;)

• Advertisement

Interestingly, you did genuinely want to kick him in the balls. Maybe life would be simpler if we said(or did) what we feel, and didn't say what we didn't do.

I cringe when I see "ROFL" coming from friends. So, did you type it after you rolled around or did you type it first, and then roll on floor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Expect the unexpected

Just be yourself

Turn the other cheek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

+1

Can't stand this. Was at a bar one night. My friends were there but it was a pretty big place and I slipped away for a drink by myself at the bar. I'd had an awful day. Like you, had received bad news so I just wanted to be by myself. And a lad comes up to me and says "Ah come on cheer up luv. Give me a smile there"

Felt like boxing him in the face. Is that you're idea of a good chat up line when someone is visibly upset. :rolleyes:

I always smile when people say this, even if I'm awfully upset. :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Forget it.

Or even worse-

Put it behind you.

If I was
    Able to do either would
    I be enraged & still savaged by it.

"theres always someone worse off than yourself"

Anytime someone has said that to me it didnt come as a single bit of comfort whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

'Build a bridge'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

1ZRed wrote: »
    Had trouble making the post fit? ;)

Sure i just rammed it in there between the other two ... as per the norm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Dont think with your penis. This despite being the most powerful physical urge that most men have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Good rant. I went through something last year. I met someone and it turned out that he fed me a pack of lies afterwards, fcuking with my head. I was not in love with the man and I didn't build up a fantasy relationship with him in my head but neither could I understand: why lie. Someone else would probably say: Jesus what a pr1ck and that attitude was at the back of my head but his excuses also gave me a false hope which killed me and brought me down. Lies are hurtful. Nothing sits right and it wrecks your head. One year on, it's fading but still with me. Get over it I was told, even by the b0llocks himself.

In relation to your thread title, I can't think of anything at the top of my head but something might come to me yet. I do agree with your statements.

Holy God love, ya might wanna post this in PI and ya might get some good advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

-"You just need to make some new friends!"

Yes, because I can just go out and pick a few off a tree now.

-"Get a job"

Very difficult these days! Especially for people who have no experience. I know a lot of people who didn't work while we were in school (the school frowned upon it, I worked for a couple of years and was encouraged to give up, because "if we focussed on the Leaving Cert, we'd get a much better job when we finished". Ha.) and then the recession hit the year we finished, so many of them are finding it really hard to get jobs now, because they have no experience and can't get any. I hate hearing people tell others "Just go and get a job!" - anyone who says that clearly has been lucky enough not to have been job-hunting in the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

I was thinking about this the other day and it's one of my pet hates. Like someone above this happened to me in a bar when I was looking for my friends, some random bloke told me to smile and I told him where to go.

How can someone be so insensitive that they can tell a complete stranger how to feel? It baffles me anyway, if I come across someone who looks down and not very cheery I just let them be, God only knows what they've been going through or feeling.

If this ever happens to you again seriously tell them to f*** off you'll feel ten times better :)

Another one to add is "stand up for yourself"

Probably meant well but so easy to say when you're not in that person's situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

+1

Hate that. I was told to ''cheer up'' walking around town by a chugger recently. I'll cheer up if I want and it's none of your fúcking business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

If it's not sarcasm in the thread title, then 'easier said than done' is a bit irritating! Almost everything is easier to say than do!

St.Spodo wrote: »
    Hate that. I was told to ''cheer up'' walking around town by a chugger recently. I'll cheer up if I want and it's none of your fúcking business.

:D Exactly!! It's ok to not be happy all the time ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

St.Spodo wrote: »

It's even worse when you're actually not down or annoyed, you're just not permanently smiling! Someone saying cheer up is almost as bad as 'calm down'. People who say 'calm down' should be ****ing punched everytime they say it.

• Advertisement

-"Get a job"

Very difficult these days! Especially for people who have no experience. I know a lot of people who didn't work while we were in school (the school frowned upon it, I worked for a couple of years and was encouraged to give up, because "if we focussed on the Leaving Cert, we'd get a much better job when we finished". Ha.) and then the recession hit the year we finished, so many of them are finding it really hard to get jobs now, because they have no experience and can't get any. I hate hearing people tell others "Just go and get a job!" - anyone who says that clearly has been lucky enough not to have been job-hunting in the last few years.

This reminds me:

Say if you come down with a cold with for example headache, earache, sore throat, cough, the sniffles etc and sometimes you can do all that you fcuking hell can to get rid of it but it lingers on for weeks and weeks and weeks. Eventually people around you, probably family, might get irritated by you being crocked all time and coughing a lot and might say: will you ever go and get rid of that and get better.

I'm doing all that I fcuking hell can.

token101 wrote: »
    It's even worse when you're actually not down or annoyed, you're just not permanently smiling! Someone saying cheer up is almost as bad as 'calm down'. People who say 'calm down' should be ****ing punched everytime they say it.

Woah calm down there mate! :)

*Gets battered by token101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

"Stop picking it"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

+1

Do you not think that a bar might not be the best place to be if you're that upset?people go to bars to have fun,that guy as stupid as he was was probably just expecting you to be open to Have a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

bb1234567 wrote: »
    You shouldn't be so quiet :rolleyes: Saying thats really gonna help a quiet person... or worse, why are you so quiet? or you should talk more..really anything like that is very annoying

What I realy want to say to these people is 'I'm very quiet because I'm silently judging you and your idiotic,annoying,loud mouthed personality.' But a lot of people wouldn't like to hear the truth.

• Advertisement

Sometimes a fat thread comes up in after hours where all the smart alecs will give their mighty know it all advice: there's no excuse for being fat. They need to stop eating macdonalds and supermacs and take aways and sweets and snacks. As if all and each and every one of them live on a diet of crap. I'm over weight and my diet wasn't good years ago but was at a nice size 16 but somewhere through the years my weight went up and so did my size. Diet has changed dramatically but weight is still on.
    They need to go out and exercise and join a gym their advice is. Thats well and good if you live near a gym or have public transport to get you to and from or you have a car and can drive. Some people aren't all that lucky. I'm living in the sticks of rural ireland and to get to the nearest gym I'd have to walk 12 miles to get to and from the nearest gym outside of public transport.

Well can you not use public transport? I'm in work during those times.

Can you not get up earlier before work? There's no bus at five o clock in the morning.

Can you not walk to and from work?
    I do and at one stage I was walking two miles each way.

My sister used to be overweight and she lost a lot of weight by joining a gym but she had her own car. The amount of work that she put in - she was going in at least four or five times a week. Some people just doesn't have that kind of time available.
    And lets face it walking just isn't enough.

Some people cannot understand that everyone is different with different circumstances and different schedules and different lifestyles and indeed different backgrounds and upbringings.

smurgen wrote: »
    Do you not think that a bar might not be the best place to be if you're that upset?people go to bars to have fun,that guy as stupid as he was was probably just expecting you to be open to Have a laugh.

No it wasn't but I had to go out for a friends birthday. Anyway, excuse me for wanting a drink with the news I had gotten.

Sometimes a fat thread comes up in after hours where all the smart alecs will give their mighty know it all advice: there's no excuse for being fat. They need to stop eating macdonalds and supermacs and take aways and sweets and snacks. As if all and each and every one of them live on a diet of crap. I'm over weight and my diet wasn't good years ago but was at a nice size 16 but somewhere through the years my weight went up and so did my size. Diet has changed dramatically but weight is still on.
    They need to go out and exercise and join a gym their advice is. Thats well and good if you live near a gym or have public transport to get you to and from or you have a car and can drive. Some people aren't all that lucky. I'm living in the sticks of rural ireland and to get to the nearest gym I'd have to walk 12 miles to get to and from the nearest gym outside of public transport.

Can you not get up earlier before work? There's no bus at five o clock in the morning.

My sister used to be overweight and she lost a lot of weight by joining a gym but she had her own car. The amount of work that she put in - she was going in at least four or five times a week. Some people just doesn't have that kind of time available.

Some people cannot understand that everyone is different with different circumstances and different schedules and different lifestyles and indeed different backgrounds and upbringings.

I agree with the bit in bold and I certainly amn't one of those people who gives out to overweight people and claim it's easy, and all you need to do is exercise and stop eating McDonalds. I know it is hard.

BUT, that said, you don't need to go to a gym to lose weight. The wonderful thing about exercise is that it is free. You can go out for a run, do bootcamp style exercises...hell you don't even need to leave your house if you don't want to. So I don't think living far from a gym is a valid excuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

I foresee this turning into a fattie bashing thread in 3........2.........

I agree with the bit in bold and I certainly amn't one of those people who gives out to overweight people and claim it's easy, and all you need to do is exercise and stop eating McDonalds. I know it is hard.

BUT, that said, you don't need to go to a gym to lose weight. The wonderful thing about exercise is that it is free. You can go out for a run, do bootcamp style exercises...hell you don't even need to leave your house if you don't want to. So I don't think living far from a gym is a valid excuse

I agree with this, plus you can spend loads of time in a gym arsing around not doing anything significant, i did plenty of times. It's all about the quality
    of exercise you're doing and not where or how often.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

"Whateva"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Unregistered39

I hand on heart don't mean this to sound bad but this is very, very doable. And if you can keep it up both ways each day should keep you at a decent level of fitness I'd have thought? Your diet will still mostly dictate the weight but a good fast walk that gets your heart pumping is great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

"You're awful quiet, why are you so quiet, why aren't you loud and bubbly like everyone else in the world, you should talk more, stop being so shy, why are you shy?..." :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

-"Get a job"

+1 to the job dilemma.

Amazing the amount of people in the middle of a severe recession, who, either directly or indirectly, let it be known to me that I should get employment. As if it were as easy as catching a bus in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

Just put the fork down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement