Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irritating things people say that are easier said than done

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Agree with posts about telling people you don't know to cheer up and the like, but being confident is pretty easy once you make the first step tbh. Sounds like a lot of excuses by calling it hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Is it in yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

Dance

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ukonline

bb1234567 wrote: »
    You shouldnt be so quiet :rolleyes: Saying thats really gonna help a quiet person... or worse, why are you so quiet? orr you should talk more..really anything like that is very annoying

-

Yeah, it's like saying, "Why are you so short? Be taller!".

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Agree with posts about telling people you don't know to cheer up and the like, but being confident is pretty easy once you make the first step tbh. Sounds like a lot of excuses by calling it hard.

You're not one of those fake till you make it people are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

"Go f**k yourself."

No one likes a quitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

What's this first step then?
    Look at it this way, most guys are aware that the only thing standing in the way of them hooking up with hot women is their lack of confidance, if confidance is easy why do people lack it? You can hardly say they just couldn't be bothered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Truley wrote: »
    "You're awful quiet, why are you so quiet, why aren't you loud and bubbly like everyone else in the world, you should talk more, stop being so shy, why are you shy?..." :mad:

A girl spoke to me like that on Friday night and i called her a moron. There was an instant swoosh of silence and then i excused myself and went to the toilet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I have to say people who can't just let things go or build a bridge irritate the hell out of me.

A 6 week old has a right to ball their little eyes out for hours on end, a 30-something doing it is pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

As someone already mentioned, it's got to be the "Literally!".

"I literally broke my ankle when I fell, on my way here"...

She says as she's standing there, talking... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

"Don't worry about it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Sometimes a fat thread comes up in after hours where all the smart alecs will give their mighty know it all advice: there's no excuse for being fat. They need to stop eating macdonalds and supermacs and take aways and sweets and snacks. As if all and each and every one of them live on a diet of crap. I'm over weight and my diet wasn't good years ago but was at a nice size 16 but somewhere through the years my weight went up and so did my size. Diet has changed dramatically but weight is still on.
    They need to go out and exercise and join a gym their advice is. Thats well and good if you live near a gym or have public transport to get you to and from or you have a car and can drive. Some people aren't all that lucky. I'm living in the sticks of rural ireland and to get to the nearest gym I'd have to walk 12 miles to get to and from the nearest gym outside of public transport.

Well can you not use public transport? I'm in work during those times.

Can you not get up earlier before work? There's no bus at five o clock in the morning.

Can you not walk to and from work?
    I do and at one stage I was walking two miles each way.

My sister used to be overweight and she lost a lot of weight by joining a gym but she had her own car. The amount of work that she put in - she was going in at least four or five times a week. Some people just doesn't have that kind of time available.
    And lets face it walking just isn't enough.

Some people cannot understand that everyone is different with different circumstances and different schedules and different lifestyles and indeed different backgrounds and upbringings.

I dont want to be harsh as it seems like you do not like being over weight but it looks like you are looking for excuses.

When you say you used to walk nearly two miles every day, big whoop, I run 5 km to and from work every day and when I dont I cycle, you dont need a GYM to loose weight you need exercise, buy a skipping rope and go for more walks, maybe get a bike through the bike to work scheme.

Saying there is no public transport or the gym is too far away is a cop out and if you're happy with that then fair enough but there are other ways to loose weight, it would help loose weight faster if you walked or cycled to the gym. Its a very simple equation Calories in < Calories out and you will loose weight.
    Sorry for the rant...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Sometimes a fat thread comes up in after hours where all the smart alecs will give their mighty know it all advice: there's no excuse for being fat. They need to stop eating macdonalds and supermacs and take aways and sweets and snacks. As if all and each and every one of them live on a diet of crap. I'm over weight and my diet wasn't good years ago but was at a nice size 16 but somewhere through the years my weight went up and so did my size. Diet has changed dramatically but weight is still on.
    They need to go out and exercise and join a gym their advice is. Thats well and good if you live near a gym or have public transport to get you to and from or you have a car and can drive. Some people aren't all that lucky. I'm living in the sticks of rural ireland and to get to the nearest gym I'd have to walk 12 miles to get to and from the nearest gym outside of public transport.

Well can you not use public transport? I'm in work during those times.

Can you not get up earlier before work? There's no bus at five o clock in the morning.

Can you not walk to and from work?
    I do and at one stage I was walking two miles each way.

My sister used to be overweight and she lost a lot of weight by joining a gym but she had her own car. The amount of work that she put in - she was going in at least four or five times a week. Some people just doesn't have that kind of time available.
    And lets face it walking just isn't enough.

Some people cannot understand that everyone is different with different circumstances and different schedules and different lifestyles and indeed different backgrounds and upbringings.

I'm familiar with excuses excuses.

Weight loss is not achieved by just going to the gym.

Diet is FAR more important. Re-evalutating your diet and replacing foods which are healthy and all the while ensuring that you are eating a calorie deficit each day will help significantly towards your weight loss.

Combine this with some calorie burning excersise and you'll be able to achieve your weight loss goal a lot quicker than you would by just going to the gym 4 times a week.

If you live in the "Sticks" then walking or running is the perfect excersise and you're lucky enough to have the space, clean air and a nicer landscape to do this rather than someone living in the city centre. Walking a few miles each day or even cycling and ensuring that your diet is clean will help you to achieve your weightloss.

Why be hung up on a gym that is too far away where you will essentially pay money to walk/run indoors on a treadmill when you have the Irish countryside to do that. (obviously there are other advantages to the gym but at the end of the day you can still achieve what you want without having to join).

There are some great threads in the health & fitness and the Nutrition forums here which will give you some good advice and guidelines.

I don't mean to preach, I speak from experience and have made my own "excuses", eventually I had enough and just got on with it - never looked back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Sleepy wrote: »
    I have to say people who can't just let things go or build a bridge irritate the hell out of me.

A 6 week old has a right to ball their little eyes out for hours on end, a 30-something doing it is pathetic.

You should make that your signature. It would remind people of your outlook on life when replying to your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

"It's not rocket science" of course it's not its a cup of tea dimwit :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

After I went through an ectopic pregnancy this year I went to my GP to make sure my stitches were healing properly. I asked a few questions and was almost in tears with the emotions of what had happened. At one point the GP said sh1t happens. I felt like walking out but was stuck to the chair in amazement at what she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Floggers

Truley wrote: »
    "You're awful quiet, why are you so quiet, why aren't you loud and bubbly like everyone else in the world, you should talk more, stop being so shy, why are you shy?..." :mad:

I was very quiet when i was younger, around my late teens/early twenties. I remember being out one night in a group around a table and one person started this with me "You're so quiet, why are you so quiet? Say something!!"

So i just said the word "Something" and the whole table cracked up at the bloke. It was perfectly timed and everyone was looking at me as he had drawn all the attention to me, which obviously being shy, i didn't like.

But that shut him up quick enough and got him off my back. Ill always remember the look on his face. He was fuming that i had shown him up in front of everyone!!

Floggers wrote: »
    I was very quite when i was younger, around my late teens/early twenties. I remember being out one night in a group around a table and one person started this with me "You're so quite, why are you so quite? Say something!!"

So i just said the word "Something" and the whole table cracked up at the bloke. It was perfectly timed and everyone was looking at me as he had drawn all the attention to me, which obviously being shy, i didn't like.

But that shut him up quick enough and got him off my back. Ill always remember the look on his face. He was fuming that i had shown him up in front of everyone!!

Quite what?

Fixed that last post, sorry for the misspellings!!

Fixed that last post, sorry for the misspellings!!

Now I look silly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

"why haven't you got your full license yet? Sure i got it on my first go!"
    also
    "sure why dont you apply for a cancellation right after?"

I've attempted it 5 times in less than a year, im not made of fcekin money!:mad:

syklops wrote: »
    Now I look silly.

Put it behind you and get on with things, don't dwell on it!! :D

Put it behind you and get on with things, don't dwell on it!! :D

Build a bridge?

syklops wrote: »
    Build a bridge?

Yes, quite....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

KKkitty wrote: »
    After I went through an ectopic pregnancy this year I went to my GP to make sure my stitches were healing properly. I asked a few questions and was almost in tears with the emotions of what had happened. At one point the GP said sh1t happens. I felt like walking out but was stuck to the chair in amazement at what she said.

jesus that's horrible, the person you're trusting to care for you just gives a response like that, hope you didn't dwell on that for too long. Yeh **** happens but on that scale some compassion would have been helpful.

PingO_O wrote: »

jesus that's horrible, the person you're trusting to care for you just gives a response like that, hope you didn't dwell on that for too long. Yeh **** happens but on that scale some compassion would have been helpful.
    Thanks for saying that. I hadn't a clue what to say to respond to it at the time. I did dwell on it somewhat obviously but I'm trying to stop that. My partner and I are trying for another baby so hopefully all goes well next time fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

KKkitty wrote: »
    Thanks for saying that. I hadn't a clue what to say to respond to it at the time. I did dwell on it somewhat obviously but I'm trying to stop that. My partner and I are trying for another baby so hopefully all goes well next time fingers crossed.

Yeah, I mean even if you caught her at a bad time she should have kept her mouth shut if she had nothing nice to say, especially in a delicate situation like that. Best of luck :)

PingO_O wrote: »

Yeah, I mean even if you caught her at a bad time she should have kept her mouth shut if she had nothing nice to say, especially in a delicate situation like that. Best of luck :)
    Thanks so much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I was told to "Cheer up it might never happen!", so I did cheer up and it did happen.... next time I'm staying miserable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Calm down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 seamie87

I was very quiet when i was younger, around my late teens/early twenties. I remember being out one night in a group around a table and one person started this with me "You're so quiet, why are you so quiet? Say something!!"

A poor way to start a conversation by him, but this sort of **** is why I haven't tried talking to an irish girl on a night out in a couple months. Sure there ain't enough foreign girls but I still feel in better form at the end of the night not bumping into a "feisty" girl like you.

seamie87 wrote: »
    A poor way to start a conversation by him, but this sort of **** is why I haven't tried talking to an irish girl on a night out in a couple months. Sure there ain't enough foreign girls but I still feel in better form at the end of the night not bumping into a "feisty" girl like you.

lol.....i think you have got the wrong end of the stick mate, i am a bloke, now married with young kids. This happened to me years ago and it was on a work night out, so i was in company with the fella that started saying this to me along with the rest of my work colleagues at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gaziah

"Going to get some fanny tonight".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

"I know exactly how you feel" I know people say it to make you feel better but most of the time it's said to make themselves feel better.

Advertisement