Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd party modem problem

Options
  • 14-10-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Quick question, the DSL on my Netgear DGN2000 router/modem dropped on Friday. The DSL light went from constant to continuous blinking. I did the usual, reset, settings etc, but it will not reconnect to the DSL. I tried a neighbours too as i thought the router had calved, but same result. It had worked grand for the last 2 years or so without hassle.

However when i connect back up the old eircom netopia originally supplied over 3 years ago it connects straight away, but i need to be sitting on top of it - like now - in order to get a half decent signal.

Has something changed regarding settings to eircom? Or do they not like 3rd party modems at the minute. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

eircom settings don't have to be on the modem for the dsl to sync, could be an issue on the line, best bet is to call them in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭eircom: Linda

patpark121 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Quick question, the DSL on my Netgear DGN2000 router/modem dropped on Friday. The DSL light went from constant to continuous blinking. I did the usual, reset, settings etc, but it will not reconnect to the DSL. I tried a neighbours too as i thought the router had calved, but same result. It had worked grand for the last 2 years or so without hassle.

However when i connect back up the old eircom netopia originally supplied over 3 years ago it connects straight away, but i need to be sitting on top of it - like now - in order to get a half decent signal.

Has something changed regarding settings to eircom? Or do they not like 3rd party modems at the minute. Thanks.

Hi patpark121

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, can you try changing the channels on your modem guide here Let me know if this helps.

Regards
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

patpark121 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

when u did the reset, the 3rd party modem goes to factory settings, u need to get eircom settings on it, but even after getting those settings u r unable to connect it seems gone is finished , u need to get new modem, as eircom modem is concern, they r just standard modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Hi Linda,

Many thanks for your reply. Didn't need to do anything after all that, modem just reconnected to the DSL again today & working fine again.

Thanks again
    Pat

[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Thanks Masker. Did exactly that as i tried the modem in every socket in the house & he neighbours without success. Strange thing is the new modem refused to connect also. Maybe it needed a settling in period or something, but all of a sudden without poking its up & running now.
    Thanks again folks.
    Pat

• Advertisement
Advertisement