Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canvas Print Advice

• 14-10-2012 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭

Hey folks I lurk here from time to time but haven't the confidence to join in yet, was wondering if I could pick your brains when it comes to printing.

I'm a budding enthusiast who has come from shakey shots a little over two years ago to getting a firm grasp on things, when it comes to printing I'm kinda lost on that side of things as I've never printed any or my stuff before, mostly all my stuff is digital with the odd snap a friend would print off, and the rest up online.

Recently snapped a picture I'm absolutely chuffed about and have been meaning to get one or two of my pics properly done up and this one has given me the push to get it done. I've looked at a few places online but I haven't taken the plunge yet, popped into John Gunn the other day but they don't do canvas so he directed me to the Dublin Camera Centre, was chatting with the staff and liked the size of one of their canvas hanging on the wall, got chatting with the chap who does their canvas work and we discussed my picture for a few minutes, he mentioned he might have to get something done up specially for it because of the size (5172x3007) which could be costly.

I did get a test print of it done on some photographic paper and it looked great so want to push forward with getting it done. I'm sure some of you have gotten stuff printed off before what would be the best format for it to be printed from JPEG/Tiff/Raw etc? Was also told there is a member here who has his own printing business and has gotten good references?

Any help/info would greatly be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

what size are you hoping to print at ? canvas will be very forgiving in terms of image size -> printed size.

Steve is the boards members who many of us will have used previously - his user name is stcstc. His prices are on his website for canvas. (pssst - he used to/may still do a boards member discount, mention the place and see if he'll oblige. No harm in asking - sorry steve, there's the profit cut in half :D) Eitherways he's about as knowledgeable as they come around these parts when it comes to printing and i've found his advice in the past invaluable. A nice guy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    what size are you hoping to print at ? canvas will be very forgiving in terms of image size -> printed size.

Steve is the boards members who many of us will have used previously - his user name is stcstc. His prices are on his website for canvas. (pssst - he used to/may still do a boards member discount, mention the place and see if he'll oblige. No harm in asking - sorry steve, there's the profit cut in half :D) Eitherways he's about as knowledgeable as they come around these parts when it comes to printing and i've found his advice in the past invaluable. A nice guy too.

Decent size to show it without it being overly gigantic, maybe something like 30x40 or 40x60 it would be more of a landscape than portrait.

Getting it printed on canvas it will lose some of the colour/vividness of it but that shouldn't be so bad, been looking at some places online and it seems you can get them cheap enough but I would like to know I'm getting a good quality print and will pay to make sure it turns out good.

Cheers for the heads up about that guy, will check his stuff out and drop him a line, few people have asked me for a copy of it obviously I can't be shelling out big bucks getting them done but would like to get a couple done up though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i can certanly print and mount canvas for you

there are other options too that might be worth looking at

best thing is to drop by my shop and have a chat and i can show you options etc

canvas does flatten an image slightly so some work is normally doen to make it work

stcstc wrote: »
    i can certanly print and mount canvas for you

there are other options too that might be worth looking at

best thing is to drop by my shop and have a chat and i can show you options etc

canvas does flatten an image slightly so some work is normally doen to make it work

Hey, can certainly swing by probably on Wednesday if that's cool do I need to make an appointment or can I just drop by?

best to just gimmie a buzz, in case have nipped out or something, but yea sure drop by

• Advertisement

best to just gimmie a buzz, in case have nipped out or something, but yea sure drop by

Just been checking the weather looks like tomorrow it could be raining & Thursday looks ok, so depending on that will factor into my trip tomorrow. Will give the shop a bell before I make the trek in anyway.

Cheers sir.

cool man

i wont be in the shop at all on thursday - moving house and skip is being delivered :-))

but will be back in on friday if not

cool man

i wont be in the shop at all on thursday - moving house and skip is being delivered :-))

but will be back in on friday if not

Ah I'm away from Friday until Monday, will be tomorrow then so as I would like to get to this asap fingers crossed the rain lays off as I will be travelling by DART. Will ring the shop at some stage tomorrow morning and make sure you haven't split for lunch or anything.

Correct number? 01 2300037

ya thats the shop number

its about 3 mins walk from salthil / monkstown dart station

Went out earlier and had a good chat with Steve and decided to go down a different path, kinda felt some of the info I got before was a little iffy but Steve was very helpful and if the pic turns out like it sounds it should be savage.

I've sent the photo over in tiff format Steve so looking forward to seeing the final product next week.

Cheers for the heads up folks really appreciate it, also would like to add the photo I'm getting done for anybody that was interested.

7z36N.jpg

• Advertisement

good to meet you today

and yea i think ya made the right choice, i think it would look muddy and dull on canvas

Absolutely chuffed at how it turned out was a little nervous before I seen it but happy days, the pic doesn't do it justice as it actually looks like it's floating, got some special glass that makes it look like it isn't even there!

Some problems hanging the photo so will be mid week before I finally get it up and hanging so will retake a pic of it when it's properly hung but for now I'm just delighted to have it :)

Cheers Steve you are a wizard!

OConnellBridge-CarLightTrail-Framed-2.jpg

Advertisement