Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Zoology In Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Sorry Galv! I was waiting for el trollo to vamos (My spanish needs working on). I didnt study Zoology here but I work in UCD in the conway institute as a biochemist but my under graduate degree was major and biochem with a minor in zoology (primatology). The zoology degree in UCD is brilliant by all accounts (as are the other colleges mentioned but I cant speak for them).

In UCD in first year you would be doing general biology and a bit of biomedical science. In second year you would pick three streams (eg genetics, biochemistry and zoology). The zoology component covers conservation genetics, animal behaviour (love it), animal form and function (a biochemical and physiological aproach to animal diversity) amongst other things.

If you like I can send you notes from some from those modules and the exams from any or all of those modules.

Regarding getting into college; the best ways imho are via the leaving cert points (unfortunatly 500 points now), mature entry or my favouraites UCD's access course. You complete a year long course and get into science or any area. Please get in touch if you need any more advise!

One of the points of this post is that a degree in zoology can also lead to work in other areas of biology.

Advertisement