Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry stew

Options
  • 14-10-2012 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

So I made stew last night, and it was very tasty, but for the umpteenth time in a row, I think the liquid dried up before the meat was ready. I used a tin of tomatoes, a can of guinness (500ml) and another 200ml of beef stock. It just covered the meat and veg in the pot. Then into an oven at about 190.

The recipe says it should spend 3 hours covered in there, with the last half hour without a cover. But after 2 hours, there was almost no liquid left in the pot, so I just stopped cooking it. It was great, but I think I could go better. So

1. More liquid before the oven
    2. More liquid as the liquid dries off or
    3. Less heat.

If I do add more liquid, what's best, another 200ml of stock, normal water, what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

190 is quite hot, for a 3 hr stew I would be taking it down a bit probably 160-70 and see how you go.
    If your lid doesn't seal well, it can dry out as well, try using a piece of tinfoil under the lid to make the seal better.
    Use a little more water probably another 200-300mls depending on the size of the stew.
    You can always thicken it up if its very thin, by sticking a couple of spuds in it that dissolve or by mixing a bit of cornflour in cold water and stirring it in before the end of cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Tks CJ, can you explain this bit?
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    try using a piece of tinfoil under the lid to make the seal better

Do you mean tinfoil all around the edge and then the lid on top?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

You're definitely cooking it on way too high a heat, if you are slow roasting you need to be looking at 150-160 degrees. It is also ok to add some extra stock during the cooking if you feel it is becoming dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Try to keep the steam inside with the tight lid which will stop liquid evaporating so much just keep an eye and add some liquid/hot water if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

corblimey wrote: »
    Tks CJ, can you explain this bit?
    Do you mean tinfoil all around the edge and then the lid on top?
    Yes I make a loose roll of tinfoil about 1cm in diameter and then make a ring out of it on the pot rim. Then push the lid onto it so it makes a tight seal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I too would advise cooking it at 160c, and I put a sheet of tinfoil under the lid for a better seal and to stop the liquid evaporating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Thanks all, I don't do stew too often, but I'll bookmark this thread for the next batch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Reduce the heat for sure go right down to 120 or so and leave it for 5-6 hours,
    if you are in a rush there's no problem with adding extra water if the liquid is gone, no need to add extra stock or guiness or whatever as the liquid will have reduced and you may only make it over salty or just too flavorsome(if you get my jist)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

OP, if it's a fan oven, I'd go as low as 140c.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree 100%, what kind of crazy recipe calls for cooking a stew at 190 degrees for 3 hours??!! ... name and shame, I say :D

Low heat and long and slow is the key here, plus regular checking to make sure it hasn't dried out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

OP, if it's a fan oven, I'd go as low as 140c.

This, for 3 hours, if you have put it into the oven already warm (browned the meat, sweated the veg, brought the liquids to a simmer) then 140c in a fan or 150/160c in a non fan oven would be more than enough heat.

190 is mental high.

Advertisement