Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copper as a muslin bag weight?

Options
  • 14-10-2012 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

I just boiled a copper connector and then put it in a muslin bag to weigh down my dry hops - is copper ok for a week? I didn't have any stainless steel to weigh it down.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

I don't think copper is recommended to use in a fermenter. Was it a brass connector you used or was it actualy some copper? I usually just turn the muslin bag over after a few days so all the hops are in contact with the beer. But weighing the muslin bag down a bit would preferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

mayto wrote: »
    I don't think copper is recommended to use in a fermenter. Was it a brass connector you used or was it actualy some copper? I usually just turn the muslin bag over after a few days so all the hops are in contact with the beer. But weighing the muslin bag down a bit would preferred.

I used a 10mm elbow and a 1/2" to 3/4" adaptor - both are copperish colour so I assume they are copper! I tried floating the bag before but it gave me very weak results in the end.

Should I remove the copper?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ratsathome

Pic up a nice round stone at the beach and boil it sanitize and use it.Make sure it is not sandstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Ratsathome wrote: »
    Pic up a nice round stone at the beach and boil it sanitize and use it.Make sure it is not sandstone.

Never thought of that - wont be able to get to a beach in daylight till the weekend though.

Well, since no one has come back with a NONONO! I take it that I am not going to poison myself?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

A small piece of copper is ok, some places use a lot more and their beers taste fine.

trappistbrewhouse.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement