Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certification Process

Options
  • 14-10-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

I might be getting some electrical work done on my house, and I know a lad who is a recently qualified electrician.

Can he issue a cert for the work done or is it only reci members that can do that.

He is not listed on reci website.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I might be getting some electrical work done on my house, and I know a lad who is a recently qualified electrician.

Can he issue a cert for the work done or is it only reci members that can do that.

Registered electrical contractors can issue ETCI completion certificates.
    These contractors must be registered with either the ECSSA or RECI.

The only exception to this is for a qualified electrician to get the ECSSA or RECI to inspect and certify their work. However this practice is quite rare.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

It will depend on what type of work it is. Is it rewiring a house or something along those lines, is a cert required? usually a cert is only required to comply with building regs or for connecting a new supply.

I wouldn't say getting work certified by a spark is quite rare it's usually a case of a cert is not required. I've wired/rewired many houses and had them certified myself.

Can't see you having any issues op once hos work is of a good standard.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

leeomurchu wrote: »
    usually a cert is only required to comply with building regs or for connecting a new supply.
    That is incorrect.
    According to the ESB:
    Every time an electrical contractor completes a new electrical installation, extension, or modification to an existing installation he/she is obliged to test and certify that the installation complies with current standards. These standards are set by the ETCI (Electro Technical Council of Ireland).

Every customer should receive a copy of an Electrical Completion Certificate whenever electrical work is completed.

The ETCI completion certificate is a legal document that is designed to show that the installation has been tested by a competent person with the correct equipment and that it meets the required standards.

I am not suggesting that there is anything wrong with an electrician using the services of the ECSSA or RECI to inspect and certify, I have done this myself. What is important is that the work is certified.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Building any new house or premises
    Building an extension to an existing house or premises
    Altering the internal electrical wiring in any existing house or premises
    Reconnecting a house or premises (if vacant for more than 6 months)
    Connecting electric fences and other installations

The Esb have no interest in certification unless it interferes with their incoming supply or there is a need to move a meter or disconnect their supply. that was the point i was getting at.

I wonder how many sockets or alterations have been made by handy men never mind sparks to existing houses?

I'd consider a qualified spark fully competent and capable of carrying out work for the op. The only issue would be the type of work which hasn't been made clear if the op is talking about large electrical contracts then it's unlikely a spark would have pubic liability insurance which could become an issue if an accident occurs while carrying out work.

OP you need to explain what kind of work it is that you plan on having this spark do.

If it's the like of kitchen renos or attic conversions etc, extensions a spark would be more than capable whether the spark in question is of any use, well who knows but it will quickly become apparent if he's not up to the job.

Not looking to argue the semantics 2011 there's all kind of regs that are breached everyday by handy men Diy enthusiasts and builders. If you draw a line there#s always one who'll step over it. :)

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Not looking to argue the semantics 2011 there's all kind of regs that are breached everyday by handy men Diy enthusiasts and builders. If you draw a line there#s always one who'll step over it. :)
    In this case it would seem that the OP does not want this line crossed.

You are correct that regulations are ignored and breached everyday by people that should not be near electrical work. That does not answer the question. The OP wants to know if his friend can issue a cert. The fact that many others do not care about the cert is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

thanks 2011 its just storage heating that I might be getting in.

ESB Networks have told me that on production of a cert they will connect me to the network.

thanks 2011 its just storage heating that I might be getting in.
    You are welcome. BTW, only go for storage heating as a last resort. It has high running costs and very poor control. Perhaps have a chat with some people that have storage heating, ask what their opinion is and what their bills are.
    ESB Networks have told me that on production of a cert they will connect me to the network.
    Well that is very clear cut.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

2011 wrote: »
    You are welcome. BTW, only go for storage heating as a last resort. It has high running costs and very poor control. Perhaps have a chat with some people that have storage heating, ask what their opinion is and what their bills are.

Well that is very clear cut.

Good luck with it.

yeah I know all the pros n con's of that argument all right.

We had storage heating in the family home years ago so I'm well used to it and it's drawbacks etc.

Advertisement