Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charlie and his wandering hands......

• 14-10-2012 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭

According to Anne Robinson, the presenter for 'The Weakest Link', she was the victim of an attempted groping in the late 60s by none other than Charlie Haughey :pac: Full article here.
    WEAKEST LINK HOST Anne Robinson has said that former Taoiseach Charles J Haughey tried to grope her in 1969.
    In an interview with The Guardian on the issue of sexual harassment in the TV industry, Robinson has discussed her past experiences along with her daughter Emma Wilson.
    Robinson said that when she got her first job in the Daily Mail the term ‘sexual harassment’ didn’t exist. She recalled one particular incident when she was 25:
    Looking back, we used to keep lists of men who weren’t safe in taxis, “NST”, and those who were “NSL”, not safe in lifts, they were a bit quicker with their hands than NSTs.
    I think my best experience was with Charlie Haughey, who was then Ireland’s Minister of Justice*. I like to imagine he went to his grave with my bruises on his hands after he tried to grope me during the 1969 Irish elections.

Is this going to take a Jimmy Saville twist and will we have legions of women coming out complaining that Charlie had a go at them too??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Could he not have grabbed a better looking arse

There's no need to talk about Ann Robinson like that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

Cant really compare the two. She was twice the age of the kids Saville was fiddling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

He was ugly - she was probably drunk. He dropped the hand. She whacked him one. Typical Irish romance. Them were the days.

token101 wrote: »
    According to Anne Robinson, the presenter for 'The Weakest Link', she was the victim of an attempted groping in the late 60s by none other than Charlie Haughey :pac: Full article here.

Is this going to take a Jimmy Saville twist and will we have legions of women coming out complaining that Charlie had a go at them too??

He got us the bus pass though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

We all need to tighten our belts

*haughey unbuttons his belt*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Well, that was his "thing".

Firstly, it was tacitly accepted at the time, and secondly, like Bertie after him, the man displayed glaring sociopathic tendencies.

Put simply, he just didn't care about those around him. Someone posted earlier today, a comment along the lines that if he were around today, and hadn't been bought off by the financial sector, then he would gleefully have stood by and let the banks collapse.

So, he may not have been all bad, then ;)

I could understand if he had tried to grab Raquel Welch' arse.

Anne Robinson isnt Raquel Welch

Shinaynay wrote: »
    Cant really compare the two. She was twice the age of the kids Saville was fiddling

and 25 is legal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Ah there is. She's a ****ing gowl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

mfceiling wrote: »

Buttons on a belt, fancy that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It's a bit late whinging about it when their flesh is melting off their bones, tbh.

Neither was Terry Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I dunno.......there's something about Anne Robinson that, well....ye know ;)

It's a bit late whinging about it when their flesh is melting off their bones, tbh.

Justice delayed is justice denied.

I'm amazed at what's come out about Savile in the last few weeks, and I always thought the guy was a sinister cretin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

and 25 is legal

Attempting to grope a woman, which is sexual harassment, at any age is not legal.

Ah yeah but sure might as well jump on the bandwagon as it's in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Justice delayed is justice denied.

I'm amazed at what's come out about Savile in the last few weeks, and I always thought the guy was a sinister cretin.

I listened to his last interview today where he was asked about the roumers. Denied it right to the last, made out the world and his son was out to get him, that they were just all begrudges. Chilling to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

My own take is he shouldn't be grabbing any arse unless that of his wife as he was married at the time and these days he would probably need permission to do that in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Attempting to grope a woman, which is sexual harassment, at any age is not legal.

I'm sure she's left scarred for life because someone grabbed her arse. Get her into counselling before she tops herself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

KINGVictor wrote: »
    My own take is he shouldn't be grabbing any arse unless that of his wife as he was married at the time and these days he would probably need permission to do that in public.

Charlie grabbed plenty of arses and his daddy-in-law Sean Lemass was well aware of and angered by it. His time on the chicken basket circuit wasn't entirely cold and lonely.
    To the OP, Anne Robinson was highlighting in The Guardian the culture of the time and what could be expected and what wasn't tolerated. Child abuse was never on the menu even in 1969. I hate Haughey for his thieving and corruption but he doesn't belong in the same category as a vile prick like Savile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

I'm sure she's left scarred for life because someone grabbed her arse. Get her into counselling before she tops herself...

Ah yeah, sure it's alright then that a government minister thought it appropriate to grab a journalist's arse. She should just get over herself and be delighted that someone wanted to grab her arse with the head on her, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Knucklecracker

No comparison between the two.

Savile raped children.

Haughey raped a country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

mfceiling wrote: »

he also unbutton his fly when terry keane was around

Millicent wrote: »
    Ah yeah, sure it's alright then that a government minister thought it appropriate to grab a journalist's arse. She should just get over herself and be delighted that someone wanted to grab her arse with the head on her, eh?

Assuming this isn't bull****, she didn't bring this up when he was alive because........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Every woman I know, EVERY woman has some story about being upset about being groped, molested, attacked whatever.

We are living in a society where this is tolerated and very few get charged and there is a terrible terrible justice system in place.

Can people not see that? I am sick of living in world of hearing so many stories about women being violated.:mad:

Things need to change. Badly. Women need to get angry about his. Very.

Every woman I know, EVERY woman has some story about being upset about being groped, molested, attacked whatever.

We are living in a society where this is tolerated and very few get charged and there is a terrible terrible justice system in place.

Can people not see that? I am sick of living in world of hearing so many stories about women being violated.:mad:

Well, he's dead so charging him would be difficult.

Assuming this isn't bull****, she didn't bring this up when he was alive because........

People are scared to report. Im putting myself in her shoes, she would be thinking God he's a man in power, if I say this it will have huge consequences, people will debate whether I'm lying or not. And then they think its best not to say anything and try to move on.

This is why its people in power who abuse people who are not (she was a young journalist at the time), because they know the person will be too afraid to speak up and they can get away with it.

Jimmy Saville should be ****ing ashamed of himself. But just as much should the ****ers around him who enabled him, he kept doing it because they told him it was ok.

Esther Rantzen - head of childline - how laughable 'I heard rumours about Jimmy but I brushed it under the carpet'. Everybody to do with the whole sordid affair should be ashamed of themselves.

The world should be ashamed of itself. It happened in Ireland too.

We need to change. We cant go on with this ammount of suffering We should get a petition going for better laws, better services, do SOMETHING. It's only when people get off their asses and get together to mke change will it ever happen.

People are scared to report. Im putting myself in her shoes, she would be thinking God he's a man in power, if I say this it will have huge consequences, people will debate whether I'm lying or not. And then they think its best not to say anything and try to move on.

This is why its people in power who abuse people who are not (she was a young journalist at the time), because they know the person will be too afraid to speak up and they can get away with it.

Jimmy Saville should be ****ing ashamed of himself. But just as much should the ****ers around him who enabled him, he kept doing it because they told him it was ok.

Esther Rantzen - head of childline - how laughable 'I heard rumours about Jimmy but I brushed it under the carpet'. Everybody to do with the whole sordid affair should be ashamed of themselves.

The world should be ashamed of itself. It happened in Ireland too.

We need to change. We cant go on with this ammount of suffering We should get a petition going for better laws, better services, do SOMETHING. It's only when people get off their asses and get together to mke change will it ever happen.

Hyperbolic nonsense really. Again, it'd be difficult for Jimmy to be ashamed as he's dead. The world should be ashamed because Anne Robinson was possibly groped by a guy who can't defend himself? Get a grip FFS. There's laws governing sexual harrassment, most decent people know it's wrong and there's plenty of services for victims.

• Advertisement

Hyperbolic nonsense really. Again, it'd be difficult for Jimmy to be ashamed as he's dead. The world should be ashamed because Anne Robinson was possibly groped by a guy who can't defend himself? Get a grip FFS. There's laws governing sexual harrassment, most decent people know it's wrong and there's plenty of services for victims.

Decent services, I could really laugh a cynical laugh at that.

Yes we should be ashamed that we are living in a time where nothing is being done to change the way things are. So many stories coming out into the public. It's not only people at the top that can make a change, it's when society gets together and says I'm not happy with the way something currently is and they start campaigning, that things do change.

The justice system is a farce. So few report because they will be victim blamed. Only a couple of cases ever make it to court, where I think it is a percentage of less than 5% ever get convicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

she was probably drunk.

Well she was an alcoholic back then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

This made me vomit in my mouth a little bit.Why would anyone want to grope Anne You Are The Weakest Ginge Robinson???!!Eeuughhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

CJ was a dirty piece of sh1t, so nothing would surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Lush groped by creepy old man shocker...

Decent services, I could really laugh a cynical laugh at that.

Yes we should be ashamed that we are living in a time where nothing is being done to change the way things are. So many stories coming out into the public. It's not only people at the top that can make a change, it's when society gets together and says I'm not happy with the way something currently is and they start campaigning, that things do change.

The justice system is a farce. So few report because they will be victim blamed. Only a couple of cases ever make it to court, where I think it is a percentage of less than 5% ever get convicted.

There's very little substance to any of this. There's rape crisis centres here, countless counselling outlets. What are you looking for? A hit squad to take out anyone accused? So few are convicted because most cases of this nature are one person's word against another and the burden of proof rests with the accuser. No evidence, no conviction. All the campaigning in the world won't, and should never, change that. Also, if people don't come forward and report something, can you explain rationally, without the 'society getting together' hyperbole stuff, why should I be ashamed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

How old are you out of interest? I was born in 1991 but even I realise that in 1969, if a woman came out complaining that a man in power attempted to grope her, next to nothing would be done.

Hell, even in 2012 we have idiots on here who seem to think groping a woman isn't a big deal.

Pathetic, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

To the OP, Anne Robinson was highlighting in The Guardian the culture of the time and what could be expected and what wasn't tolerated. Child abuse was never on the menu even in 1969. I hate Haughey for his thieving and corruption but he doesn't belong in the same category as a vile prick like Savile.

In a way it was, in music circles. Jimmy Page had a 14-year-old girlfriend for a year or so, for some reason it never made him a pariah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

And what about women who grab men's arses in nightclubs for the 'lolz'? Or is that different?

fullstop wrote: »
    And what about women who grab men's arses in nightclubs for the 'lolz'? Or is that different?

No it's not. Nobody should put up with being groped.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

goose2005 wrote: »
    In a way it was, in music circles. Jimmy Page had a 14-year-old girlfriend for a year or so, for some reason it never made him a pariah.

Quite a few musicians of that vintage were guilty of this. Somehow its treated differently.

Rolling Stones Bassist:
    http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20095710,00.html

Led Zep link:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/led-zeppelin-there-was-a-whole-lotta-love-on-tour-763446.html

• Advertisement

There's very little substance to any of this. There's rape crisis centres here, countless counselling outlets. What are you looking for? A hit squad to take out anyone accused? So few are convicted because most cases of this nature are one person's word against another and the burden of proof rests with the accuser. No evidence, no conviction. All the campaigning in the world won't, and should never, change that. Also, if people don't come forward and report something, can you explain rationally, without the 'society getting together' hyperbole stuff, why should I be ashamed?

If you check Athlone Rape Crisis Centre for example which cover most of the midlands, see that their opening hours are 10 am to 12 pm every day. They are very hard to get through to let alone see. http://www.amrcc.ie/.

fullstop wrote: »

No it's not different. Everyone has the right to not be groped. I've had a man once as he was walking by me, stick his hand up my skirt and touch my crotch and then walk on, in a nightclub.

People do this, because they think sure what can be done? Their word against mine.

What can be done? CCTV in clubs?

How old are you out of interest? I was born in 1991 but even I realise that in 1969, if a woman came out complaining that a man in power attempted to grope her, next to nothing would be done.

Hell, even in 2012 we have idiots on here who seem to think groping a woman isn't a big deal.

Pathetic, really.

Well Anne Robinson got a newspaper article out of it didn't she? So obviously someone believes her in 2012. Again, unless you have witnesses or proof (which I couldn't see being possible for something like this unless he left a clear, sweaty palm print on her ass), what are you expecting to be done? It's one person's word against another. You can't convict someone on accusations alone. Why is my age relevant? I'm 26, but it makes **** all difference what age I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

wow. Another thread for those that don't read the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

That was only the half of it. Charlie then proceeded to bite her finger.

No it's not different. Everyone has the right to not be groped. I've had a man once as he was walking by me, stick his hand up my skirt and touch my crotch and then walk on, in a nightclub.

People do this, because they think sure what can be done? Their word against mine.

What can be done? CCTV in clubs?

Did you report it? Because if you didn't you're as guilty of the apathy you're on here complaining about. You want to put CCTV into a dark, crowded nighclub to try catch people briefly copping a feel? Does that sound workable or practical? And what good would it be? As you said, most people don't come forward.

Well Anne Robinson got a newspaper article out of it didn't she? So obviously someone believes her in 2012. Again, unless you have witnesses or proof (which I couldn't see being possible for something like this unless he left a clear, sweaty palm print on her ass), what are you expecting to be done? It's one person's word against another. You can't convict someone on accusations alone. Why is my age relevant? I'm 26, but it makes **** all difference what age I am.

Mmmhmm. In 2012. Not in 1969. That's why I was asking you what age you were because you said she should've reported it. My point is that, while I'd encourage all women to report things like this, in 1969 women's rights and society's views on these sort of things were very different than how they are today.

token101, you seem to have a very insensitive view on this matter. I agree with you that women should report sexual harassment but you seem to think this is an easy matter. Unfortunately, I don't think you will ever understand why it's difficult for some women to come forward and report things like this.

Mmmhmm. In 2012. Not in 1969. That's why I was asking you what age you were because you said she should've reported it. My point is that, while I'd encourage all women to report things like this, in 1969 women's rights and society's views on these sort of things were very different than how they are today.

token101, you seem to have a very insensitive view on this matter. I agree with you that women should report sexual harassment but you seem to think this is an easy matter. Unfortunately, I don't think you will ever understand why it's difficult for some women to come forward and report things like this.

She stilll should have reported it FFS! I never said it was easy. But all this 'oh nothing would have been done' is complete bull****. She couldn't know that because she never gave anyone a chance! She's a part of the apathy she's ****ing complaining about, she's part of the problem! If you don't report something, don't bother complaining that no one will listen. It's just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

She stilll should have reported it FFS! I never said it was easy. But all this 'oh nothing would have been done' is complete bull****. She couldn't know that because she never gave anyone a chance! She's a part of the apathy she's ****ing complaining about, she's part of the problem! If you don't report something, don't bother complaining that no one will listen. It's just nonsense.

Midlandsmissus is a survivor of rape. You, as someone (who I assume) has never experienced the horror of sexual crime, may be unaware of the emotional ramifications of such a crime rather than being deliberately obtuse. Sexual assault, especially when coupled with the trauma of previous abuse experience, can make the victim freeze up, shut down their emotional responses in order to cope with the disgust and self-loathing that can accompany a sexual assault or to become so ashamed as to want to deny that the assault ever happened.

NONE of this is apathy. Who, in their right mind, is ever apathetic to being a victim of a crime? Different people react in different ways to trauma. Levelling ire at the victims is not particularly pragmatic in dealing with the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If its true it's still illegal... doesn't matter that she was over 18.

AH answer: Anne Robinson is a munter! She must have loved a bit of action!

• Advertisement
Advertisement