Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A tub of double cream and some pennies...

Options
  • 14-10-2012 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone!

I'm a big creeper here but I don't think I've posted before. So I'm looking for some ideas on what I can do with a tub of double cream I have.

Basically it's going to go off this week so I have to use it. I'd rather not go the route of dessert-type things as I don't have a lot of baking equipment (i.e. weighing scales, mixing bowl etc) at the moment. But I have no idea where to start for something savory.

I want to cook something that's a little impressive for my boyfriend but also cost effective- hence the pennies part of the title. I have lots of herbs and stuff so I think really it's just a meat I need.

So boardsies, if you were in my position, with a limited budget and a tub of double cream what would you make!? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd make a white wine sauce, throw some smoked salmon into it at the end, and serve over pasta.

Can't find an exact recipe to link you to, but I'd really finely chop an onion, add enough white wine to cover the onion, then the same amount again, and add a chicken stock cube. Simmer slowly until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the cream and heat it to just before it boils. Throw in thin strips of smoked salmon (you'll see them cook a bit in the sauce). Pour over pasta (I use tagliatelle).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Chicken in a mushroom sauce.

Pan fry some chicken, when chicken is ready remove from the pan.
    Add a knob of butter to the pan, some chopped muchrooms and about 50ml water, when water is boiling off add 100ml cream, miz and heat. Simples

The above is a really basic version, you can add all sort of herbs spices to taste. But simple can be just as good in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Why not whip it up and take it into the bedroom. Whipped cream is great for foreplay and your boyfriend is bound to enjoy that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

You could make some devilish scrambled eggs

If you bring the double cream to the boil, maybe a little milk to loosen it, add cheese, cooked bacon or ham and a little bit of butter and simmer for a few minutes you have a simple and very tasty sauce for pasta, you could do it with prawns or chicken or whatever just as easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Thanks everyone, some great ideas here! :)
    I'll post back in over the weekend and let ye know what I made!

Son0vagun not exactly the kind of eating I had in mind but thanks anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

http://www.realitalianfoodies.com/recipes/penne-alla-vodka/

Vodka pasta? You probably have all the other ingredients to hand, or if not,they can probably all be bought in the local shop.
    I've made it before and it's lovely, but very rich and filling. I think that's probably down to the double cream more than anything else.

Enjoy anyway, whatever you make :)

Advertisement