Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Art O'Neill Challenge

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Read on the FB page there are ~500 people chasing the 200 spots so I'm not holding out too much hope. However the person I was going to do it with has suggested we just do it ourselves anyway obviously avoiding the official event start which must admit I hadn't even considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

opus wrote: »
    Read on the FB page there are ~500 people chasing the 200 spots so I'm not holding out too much hope. However the person I was going to do it with has suggested we just do it ourselves anyway obviously avoiding the official event start which must admit I hadn't even considered.

Pick a time and date and I'm sure there would be a good few others who would join you, including myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Anyone heard anything from the organisers?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

belcarra wrote: »
    Pick a time and date and I'm sure there would be a good few others who would join you, including myself.

It is few years now i had wanted to do this course, but never felt strong enough to run & brave the AON harshed conditions.
    This year, i felt ready-ish for it, but did not even make it in the lottery.

Anyway, i have always tought about doing this course in reverse, hybrid , day time , spring time to make it a bit easier/safer as it would be unsupported.
    The idea is to do the hard bits (mountain stage) first, and finish with running on roads, get to Dublin castle, easy to get bus and home for a warm bath!
    It is also easier from logistic view point with early drop-off in Glenmalure.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

Any word on Entries? It's been a week now since the entries were submitted for the lottery

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Fianna Fowl

Any word on Entries? It's been a week now since the entries were submitted for the lottery

Not a dicky bird

Not a dicky bird

Their facebook page has gone very quite as well. Still somewhat worried by the fact that some people got auto-responses to their entry emails but neither myself nor a friend of mine did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 funkynewsh!t

Twiddles thumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

The suspense is starting to kill me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

How long does it take to pick out 200 emails. This is a farce

Ah to be fair, it's a small operation. The lads probably have a full time job.

The emails are going this afternoon according to FB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

nerraw1111 wrote: »

+ I doubt it'll be a completely random draw.
    I'd guess the organisers will want a particular breakdown of participants depending on whether they're runners, hybrids and walkers. The "draw" will have to reflect that.

The emails are going this afternoon according to FB

Thanks for the update, guess if I've no email by the time I leave work then that's it.

Well lady luck has smiled on me, I'm in & registered :pac:

The hybrid for me this year as my friend with the navigation skills didn't get in sadly.

Got lucky myself and got a spot. Might be worth keeping an eye for recces Opus if you're still tempted with the ultra.

Got lucky myself and got a spot. Might be worth keeping an eye for recces Opus if you're still tempted with the ultra.

I'm a small bit tempted but most likely won't get a chance to visit Dublin before the event itself.

AON posted that as of yesterday 70 places had yet to be taken up. The deadline for registration is midnight tonight. If these places aren't taken up there'll be another draw on Monday and successful entrants will be notified by email

As luck would have it my AON partner from last year got in on round #2 so the ultra is back on for me :)

Anyone planning any recces soon? What is the view on which is the best route from Ballinagee Bridge? Anyone got an experience of multiple routes?

Last year, I crossed the river just past the forest and headed for the ridge, cutting out Art’s Cross and hitting the lakes. It was a hard slog and on paper (map) it looks like heading up Art’s Cross may be slightly easier?

For those not on Facebook, there’s info night on at the Great Outdoors on Dec 11th at 7.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AON2014

Hello all,

The information night in the Great Outdoors is for the registered participants just so we can handle the numbers. A mail will be sent to everyone tomorrow so people can show there interest in attending again so we know how many people to expect. There will be a second information night in early January also for anyone who can't make it next week.

As regards the question on route from Ballinagee Bridge: There are multiple routes using St Kevin's Way to Glenreemore Brook, forest tracks and forestry short cuts that can be used but we will be recommending the use of forest tracks straight past Oakwood Hostel so there is as little impact as possible from participants along the sensitive King's River track and Glenreemore Brook.

Approaching Art's Cross: There is a bit of a track along Glenreemore Brook leading into the valley and you can visit Art's Plaque. Here most people continue up the left hand side of Glenreebeg Brook. Again in an effort to avoid undue erosion I would suggest that following the right side is better. It is steep heathery slopes but no muck and no chance of falling into the river. Avoiding Art's Plaque altogether is also an option and then if water flow allows the more direct approach over Nye Rocks(East West Maps) will get you to Art's Cross handy enough. A final option here is to by-pass the plaque and work your way up the (southeast) back wall of the valley. There are some rocky outcrops here so more care would be required here. Also if you go too far you would have to double back a bit to get to the cross which is an important navigational landmark before heading towards Table Track.

In my opinion the route on the right of Glenreebeg Brook is the easiest because while it is a tough climb from the valley to Art's Cross it's a short sharp shock and you're done.

If any one that can't make the info nights can email info@artoneillchallenge.ie about route queries I'd be happy to help.

Should an AON 2014 thread be created?

just being pedantic is all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 AON2014

Should an AON 2014 thread be created?

just being pedantic is all :)

There is an Art O'Neill 2014 thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057042596

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement