Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Art O'Neill Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

it's up but you cant proceed to to checkout. :confused:

Stuck on proceed to checkout !!!.... Is it a sign :)))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Just press "enter" at your address line once all your details are in. i.e. click in the address line, and press enter.

I got through no bother and received a confirmation email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

nerraw1111 got in there before me, as he says, just hit enter. I scoured the page looking for a button somewhere so just gave hitting enter a go and completed my registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

ThisRegard wrote: »
    nerraw1111 got in there before me, as he says, just hit enter. I scoured the page looking for a button somewhere so just gave hitting enter a go and completed my registration.

Did the same and it worked. Intuitive this is not :cool:

It's all part of the admission test. If you can't navigate your way through a few simple webpages, how can you be expected to navigate your way through the Wicklow Mountains at night, in winter.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's all part of the admission test. If you can't navigate your way through a few simple webpages, how can you be expected to navigate your way through the Wicklow Mountains at night, in winter.

lol, think you could be on to something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chesscyclist

The Art O'Neill Challenge is now open.
    There is a quota of 200 entrants and, according to the organizers, may be the last one, which will make it a very special event indeed.

With only 12 weeks to go, I will be following this 12-week training plan:

http://northfacejohn.com/index.php/running/run-an-50k-ultramarathon-in-12-weeks/

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

Entered! Yep, go to the last entry field in the form and hit tab then enter and it worked. Whatever way the browser is displaying the page it's cutting off some of the bottom.

Webpage navigation sorted, Wicklow mountains will be a different story...:eek:

Outside wrote: »
    Entered! Yep, go to the last entry field in the form and hit tab then enter and it worked. Whatever way the browser is displaying the page it's cutting off some of the bottom.

Webpage navigation sorted, Wicklow mountains will be a different story...:eek:

Sorted...off iPhone onto pc... No problem...
    Any first time /hybrid types here....
    No clue about navigation...

Hello all.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kuro2k

Just signed up to the hybrid again :D but I'm going to go solo after CP1 this time, I found the guided walking groups very slow last year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

aigster wrote: »
    Any first time /hybrid types here....
    No clue about navigation...

First-time Ultra here. I have never taken a bearing before in my life, so the next 12 weeks will be a steep learning curve. Apart from building up my running mileage to 70 miles a week again, I will spend a lot of time in the Dublin / North Wicklow mountains in the evenings doing recces and learning how to navigate.

First-time Ultra here. I have never taken a bearing before in my life, so the next 12 weeks will be a steep learning curve. Apart from building up my running mileage to 70 miles a week again, I will spend a lot of time in the Dublin / North Wicklow mountains in the evenings doing recces and learning how to navigate.

I wouldn't trust myself...first time out..but if anyone was planning a Dublin castle (first bit) !!:) give me a shout.Some non navigated ultras done.Much respect to ultra runners btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chesscyclist

The road section from Dublin Castle is very straight forward and probably not worth recce'ing. I might recce it in the car on on a bike.
    It would be crucial to recce the mountain sections, in daylight and also in the dark if you are planning to go it alone and want a decent time.
    There are two GPS routes on the website, which I am planning to use as a recce in the coming weeks.

Likewise. If you keep an eye on the IMRA forum or Facebook page there should be a few recce groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Hey Guys

I am interested in Running the Ultra but wondering will i be able for it done a full season for adventure races and running 3/4 times a week in wicklow mountains is this a event i would be able to do do you reckon it would be the biggest running race i have done so far .

You have to ask yourself are you up to running 55k really ? What distances are you up to at the moment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Largest i have ran is 20km so far .My training runs consist of 11/12k runs up and around ballinastoe / djouce over the sleepers or other mountain areas around there . I think i would not be able to run solidly 55km but running /walking would be possible i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

f095b72b-b539-4fe8-9bec-0a0d783f80a5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Enduro

jeawan wrote: »
    Largest i have ran is 20km so far .My training runs consist of 11/12k runs up and around ballinastoe / djouce over the sleepers or other mountain areas around there . I think i would not be able to run solidly 55km but running /walking would be possible i think.

Run-walk is a good strategy. Walk the ups, jog everything else. I'd guess that would get you through the course.

To be honest, its the terrain, elevation changes and climatic conditions that make the bigger impact on the difficulty of the event, rather than the distance itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Enduro

kuro2k wrote: »
    Just signed up to the hybrid again :D but I'm going to go solo after CP1 this time, I found the guided walking groups very slow last year...

I presume by CP1 that you mean from the Wickow Gap road, up to Art's Cross and on to the finish. That is the hardest section to navigate, so your tactics don't really make sense. If you can navigate the last section then you should be able to navigate the whole route, so wouldn't need to join the walking groups at all. And if you need their help for the first off-road section then you definitely need it for the final section!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭RJC

Full already?

I assume that's for walkers, runners and hybrids.

I'll have to get a bit sharper with the entry procedure for the November release!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

over 100 yoyos with the reg fee, very pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    over 100 yoyos with the reg fee, very pricey.
    Did you register?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Enduro wrote: »
    I presume by CP1 that you mean from the Wickow Gap road, up to Art's Cross and on to the finish.

I think kuro2k is referring to the first checkpoint at Kilbride Army Camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

Here was me too busy buying my essential kit to sign up. Didn't think it would sell that quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Did you register?
    Left it to late, didn't think the first release would sell out so quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nevertooold

Hi all
    am I right in reading that cp1 is moving back to Kippure house this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Much to my disbelief a friend of mine talked me into doing the ultra with him next Jan & we've both entered :eek: Luckily he's handy enough at navigation & lives close to the area so can get out there to see the lie of the land. Will be interesting to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Also signed up for this. Been on the "to do" list for a while, so seems like 2013 is the year!

Unfortunately I'm looking at the hybrid at the moment - have suffered with niggles since june, so unlikely to be comfortably at the required mileage by mid-Dec / early Jan. Nevertheless, will remain optimistic and see what Christmas brings!

Weather forecast good for Saturday if anyone interested in a recce? I'm looking at Ballynultagh Gap Car Park (O:044108) to Ballinagee Bridge (O:037023), approx 10km.

Happy to continue on to Baravore (+12km approx) if anyone wants to make a whole day of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 grizzlynorris

Hi all,

Anyone out there interested in doing a run from Kippure to Glenmalure??

First time doing the Art (Ultra) and would love to run this section with someone who has course knowledge from last year before the really bad weather kicks in..

The usual bad weather Tales floating around for this time of year promising the worst winter in 500 years;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement