Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Art O'Neill Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

opus wrote: »
    Much to my disbelief a friend of mine talked me into doing the ultra with him next Jan & we've both entered :eek: Luckily he's handy enough at navigation & lives close to the area so can get out there to see the lie of the land. Will be interesting to say the least!

Jez uve a lot on ur plate in 2013 .... Ul b a busy buachaill !!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Unfortunately we'll have to do without light from the moon on the 11th January. There's a new moon on that date. Another challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Gravale wrote: »
    Unfortunately we'll have to do without light from the moon on the 11th January. There's a new moon on that date. Another challenge!

Some of the long range weather forecasts (admittedly not an exact science) are also suggesting a hard winter with snow and ice which could add yet another level of challenge to the darkness :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Aislingtherese

Hi

I see that Roguerunner queried whether the Hybrids had to join a guided walking group after CP1. Just to let him know they don't.

If they are a competant navigator they can chose to run to CP1 and then hike the rest without having to join a group. That's what me and my friend did last year and we had a great time. We just let the organisers know in advance that that's what we were doing.
    Both of us have signed up to do the Ultra this year and are really looking forward to it!
    Aisling.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Hi

I see that Roguerunner queried whether the Hybrids had to join a guided walking group after CP1. Just to let him know they don't.

If they are a competant navigator they can chose to run to CP1 and then hike the rest without having to join a group. That's what me and my friend did last year and we had a great time. We just let the organisers know in advance that that's what we were doing.
    Both of us have signed up to do the Ultra this year and are really looking forward to it!
    Aisling.

I'm in no rush but is there much hanging round if you running to cp1 and hybrid....
    Not that ill be sprinting out of Dublin castle ??... Would like to remain within a group tbh
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

liamo123 wrote: »
    Jez uve a lot on ur plate in 2013 .... Ul b a busy buachaill !!

I know! Think I'll only look a max of one month ahead to avoid scaring myself too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

Hi

Aisling.

Thanks Aisling. I've decided to go for it and enter the Ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Hi all,

Anyone out there interested in doing a run from Kippure to Glenmalure??

First time doing the Art (Ultra) and would love to run this section with someone who has course knowledge from last year before the really bad weather kicks in..

The usual bad weather Tales floating around for this time of year promising the worst winter in 500 years;)

I'd be interested in running this route with you. It's my first time doing this race too, so no previous course knowledge i'm afraid but plenty of ultra trail experience.

grahamor wrote: »
    I'd be interested in running this route with you. It's my first time doing this race too, so no previous course knowledge i'm afraid but plenty of ultra trail experience.

I'd be on for hooking up for a recce too, if you're going to head out.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭trailrunner

Put me on the list to. Looking forward to getting back in the hills after the yearly 26.2 lap of our great capital .

• Advertisement

How would everyone be fixed for a run from Kippure to Glenmalure on Sat 10th November ? Start around 9 or 10 am

Pace would be fairly handy. We can take a break at half way but shouldn't need to stop running otherwise.

Can sort out logistics (car, gear etc.) if a few are interested.

EDIT : Someone on the IMRA forum recommended Viewranger iPhone app for navigation along with a regular map, so i will bring those along...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Hi grahamor, stick me down as a provisional yes, I'll confirm later when I have access to my wifes business and social calendar :)

I have that Viewranger app on my android phone, I haven't used it cross country yet but have used it abroad when hopelessly lost and found it very good and accurate. I have a couple of trail maps too but I'm not sure they cover that area, if not I'll pick one up and dust off my compass.

edit: presumably pace you mean running pace, not walking pace?

Cool. Yes, i mean running pace :)
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Hi grahamor, stick me down as a provisional yes, I'll confirm later when I have access to my wifes business and social calendar :)

I have that Viewranger app on my android phone, I haven't used it cross country yet but have used it abroad when hopelessly lost and found it very good and accurate. I have a couple of trail maps too but I'm not sure they cover that area, if not I'll pick one up and dust off my compass.

edit: presumably pace you mean running pace, not walking pace?

I don't know exactly what the route is going to be in 2013, but if it's the same as last year then the files below indicate the gps route covered by walkers (includes Art's plaque and Cross) from CP1 at Kilbride Army Camp to the finish at Baravore. There's also a file indicating the route through the fields shortly after leaving CP1.

Note especially the profile (distance, ascent, etc.) of the route as furnished by my gps from Dublin Castle to the finish at Baravore.

Kilbride-B'nultagh.jpg

B'nultagh-B'gee.jpg

B'gee-Baravore.jpg

Art Profile.jpg

Athdown - B'Smuttan (1).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fortyfoot

Anyone know when the extra places are coming on line?

Keep an eye on their website. This thread is for last year's event btw

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Moved now. This is why it was a bad idea to resurrect all the old threads

I've just been looking at the percentages of the total finishing number for 2012:

Walkers 71%
    Ultra 16%
    Hybrid 12%

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Alorra

I've just been looking at the finishers statistics for 2012.

Walkers 71%
    Ultra 16%
    Hybrid 12%

Any thoughts on why the Hybrids finish rate would be so low?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I've just been looking at the finishers statistics for 2012.

Walkers 71%
    Ultra 16%
    Hybrid 12%
    those stats cant be right for the ultra and the hybrid surely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    those stats cant be right for the ultra and the hybrid surely

I would assume it means the % of all the finishers that did the 3 disciplines. i.e. 71% of all finishers were walkers (not 71% of all walkers finished...) 16% of all finishers were Ultras etc...

That's correct, menoscemo. I mention these statistics to give recognition to the contribution of walkers to the event.

Here are the actual numbers of finishers for 2012:

Walkers 312
    Ultra 70
    Hybrid 53

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fobbzy

Hi.....
    Signed up for the Ultra this year.... First thaks to Gravale for all the good nav notes etc from previous years ..... much appreciated.....

One thing that does concern me..... where is the missing 1% from the above figures?????? Are they still " out there" ???????

Going up for a 3 day rec soon..... see you all on the hills

Did a recce from Balinagee Bridge to the cross this morning. Conditions were bad and visibility was poor so we decided to turn back at this stage. Either side of the river was very marshy, coupled with sleet showers and high winds it made for a challenging couple of hours. With that in mind I'd advise anyone heading out for a recce on this stage to do so with a partner or another AON runner.

Can't wait for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

How would everyone be fixed for a run from Kippure to Glenmalure on Sat 10th November ? Start around 9 or 10 am

Pace would be fairly handy. We can take a break at half way but shouldn't need to stop running otherwise.

Can sort out logistics (car, gear etc.) if a few are interested.

EDIT : Someone on the IMRA forum recommended Viewranger iPhone app for navigation along with a regular map, so i will bring those along...

So far we have:

Grahamor
    ThisRegard (still has to check with the wife!)
    Micilín Muc

Any more takers?

I've posted on the IMRA forum too - http://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/3216/

We might stick to about 20k instead of full route (for this time anyway :D ). One of us can park at Glenmalure and the other can pick us up and we can all go to Kippure together (or something like that !)

I've imported Eoin Keith's Garmin data into the Viewranger app and it's plotted the route to follow. It might help while i am learning how to use a map and compass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I've imported Eoin Keith's Garmin data into the Viewranger app and it's plotted the route to follow. It might help while i am learning how to use a map and compass :D

I was considering doing likewise with my Garmin 305 but figured that I wouldn't learn anything about proper navigation if I used it! No harm in having it as a backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is it as simple as importing it via the app and viewing the route ? I've been on at least 2 compass/map reading workshops, in theory I should manage but I've never had to use it in the field yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

So far we have:

Grahamor
    ThisRegard (still has to check with the wife!)
    Micilín Muc

Any more takers?

Would love to join you but that time (or day) doesn't suit. If you change to Sunday, let me know

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement