Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Art O'Neill Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Gravale wrote: »
    For those of you doing the AON in January but NOT on the night of official event, you might be interested to know that the only full moon will be on Sunday the 27th January. There will be absolutely no moonlight on the night of the Challenge, but there will be a half-moon on Friday 4th and Sunday 20th.

Any reccomendation for a head torch ?hybrid

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

I'm sure that many people get by on all sorts of head-torches, so personal requirements will dictate.

When I'm wearing this nobody outshines me (€40.95): http://www.handyhardware.ie/product/17875/Head-Fire-Power-Chip-Test-It-7655TP

If you want a cheaper version (€14.95):
    http://www.handyhardware.ie/product/36909/7041-6-LED-Head-Torch

Both on sale on this Irish website.

Gravale wrote: »
    I'm sure that many people get by on all sorts of head-torches, so personal requirements will dictate.

When I'm wearing this nobody outshines me (€40.95): http://www.handyhardware.ie/product/17875/Head-Fire-Power-Chip-Test-It-7655TP

If you want a cheaper version (€14.95):
    http://www.handyhardware.ie/product/36909/7041-6-LED-Head-Torch

Both on sale on this Irish website.
    Cheers I did buy a cheap ish one ...takes a bit of getting used to ... When you've never run in real darkness before.... :)...

With no moonlight it'll be very dark on the night of the event - unless you're blessed with snow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

All quiet on here at the moment. How's everyone's training going?

• Advertisement

All quiet on here at the moment. How's everyone's training going?
    It's been a bit rubbish ..training wise ...:))have got one 20 mile run in ... But hopefully things settling...
    I'm in hybrid group...
    Have a few days off from a week before chrimbo so if anyone fancies a trot mid week

.next stop trail shoes ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Relying on my marathon training for DCM followed by a huge 2 month taper to get me over the line. Will try and get a 20 mile in before the race.

Been doing plenty of short hill running but that's about it.

I'm only a humble walker, but I did 43k on Tuesday, 52k on Thursday and 26k on Saturday. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

@aigster I am doing the same thing and was also planning a longish run down around Wicklow, so ifyou want to hook up, let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Little H

I'm only looking for the entrance fee back - Cannot complete this year due to injury. Completed the event in 2012 so quite dissappointed for having to withdraw.

There's no official waiting list kept by Gearoid the organiser so please PM me if you want the place.

First come, first served.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Information evening in Great Outdoors, Chatham Street in Dublin 2 next Tuesday at 7.30pm.

"Aside from the dramatic and incredibly unfair reduction in places there are a few changes to how the event will run and there is a general information night to inform people about these.".

Hope the training is going well for you all and you're making good use of the relatively good weather this weekend. I'm out of action for a week or two and am looking longingly at the hills :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

"Aside from the dramatic and incredibly unfair reduction in places there are a few changes to how the event will run and there is a general information night to inform people about these.".

(

That's a bit dramatic themselves - for-profit race doesn't get permission to run in National Park for conservation reasons isn't excatly "incredibly unfair". I'm beginning to really dislike the organisers of this event.

Donny5 wrote: »
    That's a bit dramatic themselves - for-profit race doesn't get permission to run in National Park for conservation reasons isn't excatly "incredibly unfair". I'm beginning to really dislike the organisers of this event.

Are you taking part in this? If so, you may like to give your place to someone who'd be a bit more appreciative of this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Little H

Are you taking part in this? If so, you may like to give your place to someone who'd be a bit more appreciative of this event.

I'm looking to give my place to someone as I cannot participate due to injury.

Little H wrote: »
    I'm looking to give my place to someone as I cannot participate due to injury.

Hi Little H,

PM'D you.

Nope.

How's all ??...hoping to get a run on route next week...hope all going well... Shame the event reduced in size... Feel I need to do it justice now :))....anyone going Tuesday ...

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

Got a recce on from Ballinagee Bridge to Table-track and back yesterday. Met two lads near the Three Lakes doing the opposite route. It's messy up there, boggy and wet as hell. A freeze and some snow would be a godsend.

And although it's easy to say when I have a place, you can kinda see why they mightn't want 500 people on some parts of the route. Most of the route would be fine but that climb to Arts Cross from Art's Plaque is torn apart as it is, I can't imagine what it would be like after 500 people pass it.

Best of luck with the training!

Ro

Ar Strae wrote: »
    Got a recce on from Ballinagee Bridge to Table-track and back yesterday. Met two lads near the Three Lakes doing the opposite route. It's messy up there, boggy and wet as hell. A freeze and some snow would be a godsend.

And although it's easy to say when I have a place, you can kinda see why they mightn't want 500 people on some parts of the route. Most of the route would be fine but that climb to Arts Cross from Art's Plaque is torn apart as it is, I can't imagine what it would be like after 500 people pass it.

Best of luck with the training!

Ro

Good info there..... Wet cold feet ahead !:)
    It's an area I'm totally unfamiliar with to date... I'm hoping to make a recce run up there next week....as I'm doing hybrid....
    What were you wearing on the run, feet / clothes and were you happy with that....

I think the trouble is the lack of transparency. I understand there was an impact assessment carried out last year and the results were not released. From that PoV, I can see why people feel it's unfair to cap the number but not explain why.

And I see why NWPS want to limit the numbers. At least they're interested in protecting the land and are pro-active.

Would rather not see the emotive language, be it "unfair" or "for profit race." Neither are helpful and have nothing to do with the actual issue.

Simple questions are, what impact does the event have on the land and should numbers be limited.

• Advertisement

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Would rather not see the emotive language, be it "unfair" or "for profit race." Neither are helpful and have nothing to do with the actual issue.

For-profit is an accurate description and not in the slightest bit emotive. The point is that the organisers aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts - the decision affects their bottom line. You mightn't think that information helpful, but I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

aigster wrote: »
    Good info there..... Wet cold feet ahead !:)
    It's an area I'm totally unfamiliar with to date... I'm hoping to make a recce run up there next week....as I'm doing hybrid....
    What were you wearing on the run, feet / clothes and were you happy with that....

Hey Aigster,

I'd definitely recce that section. It's the messiest part of the course, the diciest in terms of navigation and has the highest hill so it's important to see it first hand.

In terms of what I was wearing it was a trial for my gear on the day. I was wearing:

- Wicking t shirt
    - Wicking Long sleeve t shirt
    - Inov-8 Mistlite jacket (http://www.zappos.com/inov-8-mistlite-shell-210)
    - Lowe Alpine Powerstretch gloves (http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?cPath=230_243_78&products_id=196830)
    - Beanie
    - ASICS Trail tights
    - Running shorts (no one needs to see that... I was forced into buying tights for this race but I'm not a fan!) :rolleyes:
    - Walsh PB Elite Boots (http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/products/walsh-pb-elite-boot.htm?brand=1)
    - Ankle Braces
    - 1000 mile running socks
    - Sealskinz waterproof socks

On the night I will probably also wear a red muff to cover the neck/bottom of my face but it was too warm for this on the weekend.

As to how the kit performed. Pretty much happy with all of it. Although the Sealskinz socks, supposedly completely waterproof, let in a lot of water and my feet were sodden. Not sure what my plan is here, I also want to minimise my Transition time as I took forever at Checkpoint 1 last year. So I had been hoping to wear the 1000 mile running socks for the road section and just pull the Sealskinz on over them when I change shoes. I'll see. I know Mr. Keith was dissing the Sealskinz socks, I have some Merino socks, I might try them.

Other than that though I'm happy enough. The jacket is light but I think it should be OK. Climbing up to Art my gloves became sodden and cold as it's real hands and feet work so I think I will bring spare gloves with me. Or maybe even put them away for that section.

But yeah the ground seemed to be a lot more sodden than our recces last year or the race this year, which surprised me as there was a lot of rain prior to the race this year.

I'm no expert on this race though by any stretch, this will be the first time I'll give it a craic as an Ultra.

Ronan

How did you find the navigation? It seems straight forward but you hear a fair number of people going awry.

If you're heading out again to that section, give me a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You think the final section is more difficult than the Black Hill section which is in the dark? I wasn't around for a recce the weekend so need to get out soon considering it's not long now.

It'll be interesting to hear what the changes are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭Enduro

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You think the final section is more difficult than the Black Hill section which is in the dark?

I think so anyway. And if the mist is down it'd be more difficult than dark and clear. (Quite a few of us did the 3 lakes section in the dark last year, thanks to the shorter routing earlier in the night)

Ar Strae wrote: »

Hey Aigster,

I'd definitely recce that section. It's the messiest part of the course, the diciest in terms of navigation and has the highest hill so it's important to see it first hand.

In terms of what I was wearing it was a trial for my gear on the day. I was wearing:

- Wicking t shirt
    - Wicking Long sleeve t shirt
    - Inov-8 Mistlite jacket (http://www.zappos.com/inov-8-mistlite-shell-210)
    - Lowe Alpine Powerstretch gloves (http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?cPath=230_243_78&products_id=196830)
    - Beanie
    - ASICS Trail tights
    - Running shorts (no one needs to see that... I was forced into buying tights for this race but I'm not a fan!) :rolleyes:
    - Walsh PB Elite Boots (http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/products/walsh-pb-elite-boot.htm?brand=1)
    - Ankle Braces
    - 1000 mile running socks
    - Sealskinz waterproof socks

On the night I will probably also wear a red muff to cover the neck/bottom of my face but it was too warm for this on the weekend.

As to how the kit performed. Pretty much happy with all of it. Although the Sealskinz socks, supposedly completely waterproof, let in a lot of water and my feet were sodden. Not sure what my plan is here, I also want to minimise my Transition time as I took forever at Checkpoint 1 last year. So I had been hoping to wear the 1000 mile running socks for the road section and just pull the Sealskinz on over them when I change shoes. I'll see. I know Mr. Keith was dissing the Sealskinz socks, I have some Merino socks, I might try them.

Other than that though I'm happy enough. The jacket is light but I think it should be OK. Climbing up to Art my gloves became sodden and cold as it's real hands and feet work so I think I will bring spare gloves with me. Or maybe even put them away for that section.

But yeah the ground seemed to be a lot more sodden than our recces last year or the race this year, which surprised me as there was a lot of rain prior to the race this year.

I'm no expert on this race though by any stretch, this will be the first time I'll give it a craic as an Ultra.

Ronan

Cheers for that, your doing the ultra right?.. I was going to go with trail runners ...
    Hybrid...any thoughts guys...?...don't posess boots....
    Thanks for info

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Aislingtherese

I would also +1 the recommendation of a recce of the route from Ballinagee Bridge to Table Track. The route up to Art's plaque is handy enough, but you've to be sharp on your navigation from there on in.

Both Ar Strae and myself were there yesterday and even though we did it before, there is still room for mistake. It is extremely featureless past the Cross and with darkness/bad visability everyone who is up there needs to be self sufficient on the nav.

It's also slop most of the way up to the Cross. Ain't nothing gonna keep your toes dry if you're in trail shoes!
    Looking forward to seeing some of you tomorrow evening!
    Aisling.

I would also +1 the recommendation of a recce of the route from Ballinagee Bridge to Table Track. The route up to Art's plaque is handy enough, but you've to be sharp on your navigation from there on in.

Both Ar Strae and myself were there yesterday and even though we did it before, there is still room for mistake. It is extremely featureless past the Cross and with darkness/bad visability everyone who is up there needs to be self sufficient on the nav.

It's also slop most of the way up to the Cross. Ain't nothing gonna keep your toes dry if you're in trail shoes!
    Looking forward to seeing some of you tomorrow evening!
    Aisling.

Unlikely to make 2moro, which is a pain...you're running whole way....?...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Aislingtherese

aigster wrote: »
    Unlikely to make 2moro, which is a pain...you're running whole way....?...

That's the plan. Did the hybrid last year. Hoping to run all of it this year... but clearly when I say all, I'm delusional...I think there may be a fair amount of shuffling for parts of it! :D
    Plan is road runners to CP1 and then change into Saloman speedcross 3 after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭Enduro

I don't think anybody runs every step of the whole thing. There are definitely a few sections where I have to settle for marching uphill as fast as I can manage, as opposed to running. That's not at all unusual in mountainous ultra runs. Even Killian Journet walks the occasional uphill :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement