Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Art O'Neill Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 roadrage73

Got any thoughts on the best route from Three Lakes to Table Track, east or west of river?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

roadrage73 wrote: »
    Got any thoughts on the best route from Three Lakes to Table Track, east or west of river?

I haven't recced it yet, but what difference does it make what side of the river you go down?

I haven't recced it yet, but what difference does it make what side of the river you go down?

I've recced the west of the river which is very wet, just want to hear what others have done and what pros and cons of both sides. Will recce the east side next week staying high

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

I've recced the west of the river which is very wet, just want to hear what others have done and what pros and cons of both sides. Will recce the east side next week staying high

River, nobody mentioned a river :):)
    On a serious note.... With limited time /experience....best stretch to recce for hybrid..heading up I hope next Tuesday...have a few hours free.... Safe parking anywhere near ....

aigster wrote: »
    River, nobody mentioned a river :):)
    On a serious note.... With limited time /experience....best stretch to recce for hybrid..heading up I hope next Tuesday...have a few hours free.... Safe parking anywhere near ....

It's more of a stream than a river!

Black Hill to Ballinagee bridge, there is limited parking at the entrance to Black Hill.

• Advertisement

It's more of a stream than a river!

Black Hill to Ballinagee bridge, there is limited parking at the entrance to Black Hill.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Enduro

I just broadly follow the stream southwards. IIRC the right (west) bank is generally slightly better ground, but I judge it on sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 squelch666

hi all

missed the entry so if anyone is dropping out let me know

karl

Checkpoint 1 now at 30km, Ballynultagh Woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Poc ar Buile

Recce'd it a couple of weeks back and followed the river (ahem, stream) down the valley but actually ended up jumping from one side to the other depending on ground conditions. Staying high on the western side mightn't be a bad bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

Interesting talk tonight. As Micilin said, CP1 has been moved on from Kilbride to Ballynultagh Woods. And massive change the route no longer goes over Black Hill!? we will be following the forest track from CP1 rather than the road.

Also we are "obliged" not to follow Glenreemore Brook up to Art's Plaque from CP2 due to erosion, we must stick to the paths?

So alas that means we're ditching some of our recces and our worked out and tested compass bearings. I feel like an auld lad who "doesn't like change".

But I'm sure all decisions were made in our best interest. And in fairness the forest track from CP1 means we don't have to gain 120m or so in height only to lose it agan.

Delighted to hear someone like Enduro say "Nobody runs all of this race". I was beginning to think you guys were all superhuman!

Confirmation tonight of the breakdown.

70 Ultra
    30 Hybrid
    100 Hikers

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Was there any representant of NPWS present, at least to understand what they have banned ? only in Ireland :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No NPWS, and I wouldn't have expected there to be either. And the only in Ireland is a bit unfair, I'm sure there's events curtailed the world over by the local and national authorities who feel their doing it in the interests of the land they're there to be looking after. The issue is that they haven't been to forthcoming with these reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

I'd much rather mount Black Hill than run the fire road, it's a pity. Looks like drier feet for longer I suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Outside wrote: »
    I'd much rather mount Black Hill than run the fire road, it's a pity. Looks like drier feet for longer I suppose...

Yeah I was a small bit disappointed about Black Hill but as organiser says, there's nothing stopping us going up it on the night! That said, ahem, I probably won't.

Those dry bags they showed are a great bit of kit. I have one and use it for all sorts. Keeps everything dry and great for storing smelly kit after a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Yeah I was a small bit disappointed about Black Hill but as organiser says, there's nothing stopping us going up it on the night! That said, ahem, I probably won't.

Those dry bags they showed are a great bit of kit. I have one and use it for all sorts. Keeps everything dry and great for storing smelly kit after a run.

Are we getting dry bags as part of the entry?!

Outside wrote: »
    Are we getting dry bags as part of the entry?!
    Nope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Rogue Runner

blacksacks.jpg

Best dry bag in the world ;)

blacksacks.jpg

Best dry bag in the world ;)

Looks expensive !!:))

Any hybrids here have a planned pace on road section??....for night in question....
    Also to the ultra lads... If route changed ...is the pre loaded garmin route now no use.... Just wanted a back up plan as we guided... Oh just one more.... Is there a number that they guide...ie.will they wait for all 30 hybrids....and then go...
    That may only make sense to me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The only route change is not going over Black Hill.

You're woefully under prepared if you are relying on a pre-loaded route to get you that far. The route rejoins last year's somewhere between Black hill and Billy Byrne's gap. The second checkpoint is moved a bit further along the route, away from the road but that's about it.

Pace is a tough one. Hybrids and walkers are grouped together. So all depends when you arrive at checkpoint. Hybrids will be arriving at the same time as some of the walkers

I did the hybrid two years ago and didn't push too hard. But those walkers don't hang around and it was a bit of a struggle to keep up for the first hour or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

wasnt at the meeting but heard the time limit for the first checkpoint (beside black hill) was 5am? seems very early with a 12 noon limit for the second point

Heya,

Just a quick point. I saw on the posters they had at the talk that this year the hybrids are being started at the same time as the Ultras (last year Walkers, Hybrids and Ultras were all started separately). So watch your pace as some of the Ultra lads will go off like rockets! :)

I think it would be madness to rely solely on a GPS route. You definitely need to get out and recce it.

nerraw aren't there two route changes? well 1 change (which you mentioned) and 1 restriction. They were saying that we can't go up by Glenreemore Brook heading to Art's Plaque. Or did I misunderstand what Declan was saying?

If the roads are icy I'm thinking of running in Yaktrax for that section..has anyone tried them for a long run?

Ro

Ar Strae wrote: »

If the roads are icy I'm thinking of running in Yaktrax for that section..has anyone tried them for a long run?

Ro

I have run over 20 miles in total in a pair of Yaktrax before they broke. They broke mainly because the surfaces I was running on were a mix of cleared tarmac and compacted snow/ice. I bought a pair of Kahtoola microspikes last autumn and would love to get a chance to use them! They look class!

Heya,

Just a quick point. I saw on the posters they had at the talk that this year the hybrids are being started at the same time as the Ultras (last year Walkers, Hybrids and Ultras were all started separately). So watch your pace as some of the Ultra lads will go off like rockets! :)

I think it would be madness to rely solely on a GPS route. You definitely need to get out and recce it.

nerraw aren't there two route changes? well 1 change (which you mentioned) and 1 restriction. They were saying that we can't go up by Glenreemore Brook heading to Art's Plaque. Or did I misunderstand what Declan was saying?

Ro

Thanks guys, will be going for a recce too.... Taking pointers off here too.I wouldn't trust garmin ..it just another back up...so with limited time available to me .(not being lazy btw ).I'd appreciate any input ...what sections do you think hybrid recce should prioritise...based on your experiences of art.
    Thanks for tip on pace too
    Any other hybrids out there ... I'm beginning to feel lonely :)

Heya,

Ro

I understood him as saying that we can't go along King's River, or is that another name for Glenreemore Brook (Gleann Rí - glen of the king!)?

Thanks guys, will be going for a recce too.... Taking pointers off here too.I wouldn't trust garmin ..it just another back up...so with limited time available to me .(not being lazy btw ).I'd appreciate any input ...what sections do you think hybrid recce should prioritise...based on your experiences of art.
    Thanks for tip on pace too

Ah yeah, wasn't suggesting you were lazy!! :)

We did the hybrid last year. We recced the lot but to be honest I'd prioritise in order

1) Ballinagee Bridge to Table Track
    2) Ballynultagh Woods to Ballinagee Bridge

You can drive or cycle the road section and it's pretty straight forward to be honest.

Similarly table track to the end is straight forward.

I prioritised 1) because i think it's the toughest navigationally, has the nastiest hill (esp now that Black Hill is gone), and the mankiest terrain.

Micilin, Gleenreemore Brook comes down from Art's to the King's River i think..I reckon I'll mail the lads and ask for clarification. I'll throw it up here if I get any info.....maybe.... :p

Ro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

[Raises hand].

I'll run to the first check point and see how I feel then with regards to how I'll tackle the rest of the course. I'll probably trot the flats and downhill sections, and now that we go through the forest as opposed to via the carpark at Blackhill, probably through there.

I don't intend on hanging around the checkpoint waiting to be put into a guide group, I'm confident in my navigation and would rather go at my own pace or with someone at a similar level to myself.

With a bigger guide group you're really only as fast as the slowest person there.

Micilin, Gleenreemore Brook comes down from Art's to the King's River i think..I reckon I'll mail the lads and ask for clarification. I'll throw it up here if I get any info.....maybe.... :p

Ro

Ah just checked out the map, and I'm 90% sure we're not allowed to follow King's River to Glenreemore Brook (which may have been the traditional walkers' route), but are asked to take a more diagonal route through the wood at Oakwood (Oakwood Woods? :pac:) to Glenreemore Brook itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

This was the walkers route in previous years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNfNNgsGSOU

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, wasn't suggesting you were lazy!! :)

We did the hybrid last year. We recced the lot but to be honest I'd prioritise in order

1) Ballinagee Bridge to Table Track
    2) Ballynultagh Woods to Ballinagee Bridge

You can drive or cycle the road section and it's pretty straight forward to be honest.

Similarly table track to the end is straight forward.

I prioritised 1) because i think it's the toughest navigationally, has the nastiest hill (esp now that Black Hill is gone), and the mankiest terrain.

Ro
    :) no worries ... All advice well recieved....
    Time moves fast.... Finished work satrday :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement