Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dry Clean Only

• 14-10-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭

Do you ever risk hand washing or machine washing 'dry clean only' clothes? I haven't but am some time tempted because dry clean is so expensive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

mood wrote: »
    Do you ever risk hand washing or machine washing 'dry clean only' clothes? I haven't but am some time tempted because dry clean is so expensive.

I do it sometimes depending on the material. I do a hand wash or a machine delicates wash!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yep, not for suits as they are a bugger to iron, but tops, and skirts I will regularly machine wash on a 30 degree cycle

Only had one disaster when I tumble dryed a cashmere top that ended up barbie doll sized :)

have silk tops and wool skirts that all said dry clean only that get thrown in the washing machine, same with silk dresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭okiss

I would hand wash dry clean only clothes. If you want to do this I would do the following
    a) Use hand hot water in a basin.
    b) Use a hand washing liquid for clothes such as Woolite or the Tesco Non-Bio Silk and Delicates Handwash which sells for less than €2.
    c) Dissolve this before putting clothes into the basin
    d) Press item in when in the water and leave for half an hour
    e) Use the rinse and spin cycle on your washing machine to rinse out these clothes and put some fabric softener into the machine before doing this.

If you are washing dry clean only clothes always hand wash them with the above. A machine wash is harder on clothes.

Also don't use a biological washing liquid or washing powder on dry clean only clothes. I ruined a silk blouse doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I've posted about this before. A lot of clothes that are marked DCO only are done so purely because the manufacturer hasn't tested the fabric properly and is covering their ass from a legal standpoint.

I was practically all my DCO clothes in a pillowcase, on a handwash cycle in the machine. If something has a lot of beading, I'll handwash it in the sink, but that's it.

I washed my wedding dress in the washing machine without a bother, ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Yes, especially vintage clothing and wool - had some bother with silk clothes though. I also find hand washing puts less stress on the fibres so they last longer. Some great advice here: http://www.ktcampbell.com/domesticity/hand_wash.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Yes, especially vintage clothing and wool - had some bother with silk clothes though. I also find hand washing puts less stress on the fibres so they last longer. Some great advice here: http://www.ktcampbell.com/domesticity/hand_wash.html

Thanks. I'll have to read that later on.

Advertisement