Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Tattoo Addiction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

i cant access that site at the moment. Just wondering what time its on at?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭murfinho

"An uplifting, warm, and often eye-watering documentary discovering, through candid interviews, what leads people to go under the needle"

Next on Channel 4
    Thu 18 Oct, 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Well that was absolutely terrible was expecting/hoping from better from Channel 4 as they are capable of making good documentarys, it was like Ibiza Uncovered meets Jeremy Kyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

15 minutes in (on +1) and so far there's been a drunken idiot, a miley cyrus stalker and a crazy cat lady. Great impression of tattooed folk so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

So not worth bothering with then?

• Advertisement

Orim wrote: »
    So not worth bothering with then?

Certainly not, if your someone who thinks all people who have tattoos are idiots without a brain, are ex cons or in some way delusional then go ahead and watch it it will re inforce every stereotype ya ever had. Really shocking stuff from Channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Biggest load of crap ever. It was just a load of scare mongering! I was shocked that Channel did such a one sided (negative) documentary! Usually they are very balanced. They made tattooed people look like a bunch of morons and hand picked a few wallys happy to get in front of the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

I didn't get the chance to watch this after all but judging by the reactions today, I'm glad. Stuff like that makes me angry. Tattooed people are so often looked down upon by self-righteous dopes in society and this just sounds like it was produced by those dopes.

I'm surprised. I think Channel 4 usually get it bang on and their documentaries are great. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

If you want some genuinely good tattoo-related viewing:-

Marcus Kuhn's Gypsy Gentleman and Vice's Tattoo Age have featured some of the best tattooists in the world. I recommend the early Vice episodes with Mike Rubendall (King's Avenue, NY) in particular.

http://gypsygentleman.com

http://www.vice.com/tattoo-age

• Advertisement

I was mildly entertained by the tattoo artist in Aiya Napa though, he seemed to have a definite attitude of "All these people are total idiots, but I can take their money" about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

It wasn't what I was expecting as most of the people on the show where just getting cover up work done so you could hardly classify them as addicts. I thought it would have more people that were totally covered in tattoos from head to toe and were literately looking for space to get more.

The guy with the Miley Cyrus tats was plain nuts though. I kind of felt sorry for him as he seemed to have gone through some sort of mental breakdown after his marriage ended. But then again a grown man getting 17 tattoos relating to a 19 year old pop singer just screams bat shít crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Jesus that was embarrassing.

Clearer we're all either drunken morons, or obsessive weirdos.
    Glad to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Watched about 5 minutes of it then turned it off. When you've got a smiling moron with multiple C U Next Teusday tats on him, and a young one who got a tattoo apprentiship working out of a room in her parents house (seriously, she couldn't have been more than 20), it just screamed "Not worth watching, move along", so I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ladywhiteraven

I was pretty horrified by this 'documentary', as the people chosen to feature were being set up for ridicule and yes it was negatively bias in reinforcing 'stereotypes' of impulsive, drunk and mentally ill individuals repeatedly making awful choices, apparently without the self-awareness to realise the longer-term implications of their ink, or the likerly perceptions of people around them towards them based on their visible ink.

I really think the 'miley cyrus' guy needs help, he does not seem to find his obsession in the slight bit abnormal, and claims genuine 'love' and 'devotion' to this young girl. This worries me because when I was around 13, an older Gentleman with a Lisa Stansfield fixation became obsessed with me (I look like her and come from the same area of Lancashire, though I live in the Midlands now) Anyway this man became a stalker, which ended in a violent assault on 13 year old me by 50 odd year old him, he was a big guy and it could have been worse, so Miley Cyrus tattoo man scares me for the simple reason fixations like this don't end well.

I am tattooed, I have a lot of ink, I am also a motorcyclist, a hospice nurse and many other things. Yes I was a bit embarrassed by these individuals when I initially saw the 'film', and it would have been nice to see a more balanced programme with an equal number of well-planned non-regretted tattoos but...I am far more embarrassed by the tattoo snobs demanding an appollogy and posting indignant comments about this film all over the net.

When people choose to become tattooed, we do not have the right to cry discrimination, as it is a choice, and yet I hear so much moaning by tattooed people that we are discriminated against and judged by negative stereotypes, this may be the case, so who the heck are we, as tattooed folk, to feel we have the right to apply these negative judgements to other tattooed people as though we can take the moral high ground and decide who is 'intelligent' or 'sober' or 'mature' enough to get tattooed, or to openly i.e via facebook groups, critisise the tattoo choices of others.

As a tattooed person proud of my ink, I found the documentary disconcerting but I found the superiority complex of those who feel their ink gives them the right to discriminate, judge and critisize the tattoos and lives of others whilst whining about discrimination towards themselves.

Double standardsget us nowhere, if we want to overcome negativity towards tattooed people we ourselves need to show tolerance and respect towards others not take the tattooed moral high horse at every oppurtunity

^^^But I dont think peoples main gripe with the show was who or what was getting tattoo'd it was more to do with the unbalanced view the so called documentary gave on tattoos and people who get tattoos people from all walks of life get them.

There was no need for the show fulfill the stereotypes thus reinforcing people with negative attitudes towards tattoos beliefs. It was thrashy television at its best.

Agreed Marty,

but non the less, how many people must have been interviewed to take part in that 'film', I would have to work really hard to find one person so unbalanced and troubled and clearly seriously abnormal as the individuals that were chosen, they were picked out to be picked on, it was jeremy kyle does tattoos, those people were picked out to be made into figures of ridicule and whilst it hasn't helped the cause of 'mainstream' tattooed people, the fact that it was done to make those 5 people into scorned and mocked and derided 'morons' makes me feel dirty all over.

WE should be angry FOR them, not AT them, or they way they were portrayed, I know I am, I am more offended by the treatment of these crazies than the possible predjudices they may have supported in the minds of narrow minded people

A balanced view, including some much loved, well thought out tattoos on sane, intelligent individuals would have been better, this was really, as you say, a train wreck of a programe that had no buisness dressing itself up as factual, sensitive nor realistic, but it is those who took part I feel are owed an appology by channel 4, sigh

Ms Cool wrote: »
    Typically collection of insecure oddbods that get tattoos

Welcome to the Tattoos & Piercings forum, you'll enjoy it here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Typically collection of insecure oddbods that get tattoos

Do not come on here to insult those with tattoos or piercings. First and last warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Not my fault the truth hurts my insecure pal

Permabanned, as the user seems to be trolling. Every post so far has been insulting and abusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Just saw this last night. I have to say, I was also disappointed. I mean really...who wants to see some drunken twat getting his arse tattooed?? It really did portray people who get tattoos in a bad light. *Cue shower of drunkards chanting "Aiya, Aiya, Aiya f**king Napa".* Jesus wept!!!!

As for that guy doing the tattoos over there, given his clientel were mostly drunk and then the sheer volume, I wouldn't be so sure about how clean the place is.

No, very disappointed in that. There's an hour I'll never get back!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Just watched a little of it there :p Loved the guy in Aiya Napa referring to his own flash as ''rubbish'' :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Captain Beyond

I want the guy with the Miley Cyrus tattoos to meet Miley in the next part :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I want the guy with the Miley Cyrus tattoos to meet Miley in the next part :D

Yep! I'd pay to see the look of terror on her horrible little face!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Dunno how many of read/post on this forum, but for anybody who watched the show this thread is worth reading http://www.bigtattooplanet.com/forums/apprenticeships-advice-new-tattooing/25061-channel-4-my-tattoo-addiction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Wow, fair play to her for speaking out. That would have taken some balls to admit you'd willingly partaken in the show that misrepresented you to nothing more than a crazy chick really.

I wonder did she ever get anything out of it. Surely she would have had to sign a contract stating what show you were allowing your image to be used in?

Poor girl.

Though..........could the Miley Cyrus guy really have been misrepresented considering he did have several tattoos of the celebrity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭bubblebery

The most annoying part for me was not the tattoos the clients choose to get (each to their own), but how the producers obviously choose the creepiest artists they could... The one older guy who was touted as a "professional" stated that he hated tattooing drunk people because they talk and move about too much...hows about not tattooing them as its illegal to tattoo people who are not sober????

As for the Miley Cyrus guy... he obviously has lots of emotional issues, which sort of suggests that he might regret his choices... I turn away loads of tattoos each week simply because i believe its unethical to take advantage of the naïvety of young and or emotionally fragile customers.

I would think in the past year alone we have had at least 30 girls asking for a tattoo the same as Cheryl Coles, on the side of her hand, and we have turned them all away. We had one client who came back week after week looking for various random tattoos. On one occasion he informed me that he had recently been hospitalised due to Bi Polar disorder, and that while he loved his tattoos, it was usually in the midst of these episodes that he wanted to get tattooed.

That was the last time we tattooed him, even though he explained that "we might as well take his business as if we do not do it someone else will !"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I have to point this out here - it is not illegal to tattoo drunk people, at least in the Republic. Nor is it illegal to tattoo under 18, or even reuse needles. Tattooing is unregulated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭bubblebery

I have to point this out here - it is not illegal to tattoo drunk people, at least in the Republic. Nor is it illegal to tattoo under 18, or even reuse needles. Tattooing is unregulated.

Its regulated in the North where we are based, and in the UK, although not highly enough as far as I am concerned... we have to prove experience, training etc etc. Before we signed a lease our local health inspector wanted to view the premises, then again, after it was fitted out and ready for business, she came again and inspected it and gave her approval.

We have to prove that all of our disposables, such as gloves, razor and needles are incinerated by an authorised disposal company, and hold all of the various records on file for 3 years.

If I had my way the regulations would be much stricter !

Advertisement