Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crisis! - Trinity PDE Application - Changing Subjects - Question!!!!!!

• 14-10-2012 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Just wondering in the PDE application for Trinity, I've applied halfway through the application process for one subject (History) strand, but I've now decided that I want to cancel that application and apply for a different subject strand (English) - how do I go about this? I haven't done the payment yet for the other one, I only got to the 'personal statement' section - Should I ring TCD and ask them what to do - or does anyone know here what to do? Can I just start over and forget the first application or how do I 'cancel' it??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

Hi pm123,

You should first of all check your degree with the Teaching Council, to see if it qualifies.

Then you need to look at the ECTS (credits) breakdown of your degree, depending if it was 3 or 4 years.

The subject most people pick would be their major subject (i.e. the one which you study in final year, and has more credits weighting). This is because the TC require a certain number of modules and credits in the primary qualification to teach a given curricular subject at secondary level.

If you have done this, and realise you should in fact be applying for English, ring/contact PAC, as they process the applications. TCD have nothing to do with it until applications are submitted.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭pm123

I did a BA degree, so I don't have a major subject; both subjects were 30 credits in college, so I don't know what you're talking about... Also, I've of course checked with the TC - that was the first thing I did obviously. I just want to switch subject strands, and want to know how to cancel the first application

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

pm123 wrote: »
    I did a BA degree, so I don't have a major subject; both subjects were 30 credits in college, so I don't know what you're talking about... Also, I've of course checked with the TC - that was the first thing I did obviously. I just want to switch subject strands, and want to know how to cancel the first application

If both subjects were 30 credits in college then neither of them will satisfy the requirement by the TC which states that 54 credits are needed (1/3 of a 180 credit degree). Check the TC website for more if you need further information regarding their criteria.

Regarding switching strands - can't imagine it would be an issue but check with TCD's school of education.

I mean the subjects are 30 credits each, both adding up to 60 credits - can I still apply to TCD in this case even if one of the subjects are 30 credits...? So confused at the moment!! I have English and History and both were 30 credits - together 60 credits, but I can only pick one strand in Trinity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I mean the subjects are 30 credits each, both adding up to 60 credits - can I still apply to TCD in this case even if one of the subjects are 30 credits...? So confused at the moment!! I have English and History and both were 30 credits - together 60 credits, but I can only pick one strand in Trinity...

That won't be enough credits. Are you sure you checked with the Teaching Council properly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Did you do your BA in Ireland? Some colleges have a different credit system. Generally a degree will be 180 or 240 credits depending on the length.
    Are those 30 credits just your final year?
    The 54 credits are accumulated over the course of your degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Do you mean 30 credits in each subject every year? 30 credits in one subject overall is not enough!

Guys I did my bloody degree in Maynooth.. where do you think I'm from!! lol

Did Music in first year with English and History

Then kept on English and History

30 credits per subject for EACH YEAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Guys I did my bloody degree in Maynooth.. where do you think I'm from!! lol

Did Music in first year with English and History

Then kept on English and History

30 credits per subject for EACH YEAR

To be fair how are we supposed to know where you did your degree? If you had been clear from the outset much of this discussion would not have been needed.

From the sounds of it you can be registered with the teaching council in English and history but not in music.

With regards to trinity I'm not sure how the system works but why were you not registered in both subjects English and history? You need to be qualified in both to even try and get a job in this climate (particularly with either of those subjects). Can you not do both subjects like in the NUI's PDE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

English language is, and indeed should be, based on effective communication.

• Advertisement

Trinity only do single subject strands, I don't know why to be honest, but that's the way they do it - you can't do two subjects for the PDE

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

Actually, in Trinity you must do two subjects. You will only be assessed on one of them though. I did my PGDE in Trinity. I attended lectures in Maths and Business but I was only assessed on the Maths. I still had to attend and participate in the Business lectures. I did my teaching practice in Maths and ICT but I was only assessed on the Maths. I still had to do the teaching practice though.

When/if you are interviewed for Trinity it will be for the main subject which you will be assessed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

That seems ridiculous on the part of trinity? Why on earth are their students not being assessed in both their teachable options? For once I would feel this is something that the teaching council should raise with trinity

I know it doesn't make sense... I mean both of your subjects will be useful for teaching purposes.. Who in the name of God came up with a single subject strand idea? How does that even correspond with secondary school teaching

Advertisement