Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRUCIFIXION OR CRUCIFICTION?

• 14-10-2012 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

10262_290043797763090_1131689829_n.jpg
    This is the first Debate of its kind Here in Galway. We hope every body will attend specially the non Muslims,Please spread the word between your friends,Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭whydoc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

Whilst I think it makes good sense to question and probe religious miracles and other supernatural phenomena, I find it odd that this is posted in the Islam forum. If you begin questioning one religious miracle, where will it end? :)

A can of worms really, especially when some people get so violently defensive in the name of religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Given that the OP has posted videos criticising Shia, is the Islamic Society NUI Galways only for Sunni muslims?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76940874

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

donaghs wrote: »
    Whilst I think it makes good sense to question and probe religious miracles and other supernatural phenomena, I find it odd that this is posted in the Islam forum. If you begin questioning one religious miracle, where will it end? :)

A can of worms really, especially when some people get so violently defensive in the name of religion.

Muslims believe that Jesus was a prophet (indeed, second only to Muhammad), but that he did not die on the cross. There is a verse in the Qur'an (Surat an-Nisaa 4:157), which reads, in the Pickthall translation: "And because of their [i.e., the Jews] saying: We slew the Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, Allah's messenger - they slew him not nor crucified him, but it appeared so unto them; and lo! those who disagree concerning it are in doubt thereof; they have no knowledge thereof save pursuit of a conjecture; they slew him not for certain."

So Muslims deny that the crucifixion actually occurred. But in that case, what is the status of the narratives of the crucifixion in the four Gospels, and references to the crucifixion in other books of the New Testament and early Christian writings? I discussed this in more detail a few months ago on a thread on Jesus and the Virgin Mary - here's a link.

So this is an important difference in belief between Christians and Muslims. It's not merely about the status of the crucifixion, with Christians believing that it represents an act of sacrificial atonement for the sins of humanity, and Muslims believing that each person is responsible for his or her sins, and no-one can take on the sins of others. It's about whether Jesus was crucified at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

donaghs wrote: »

Er, I posted this on the Christian forum. Some of the Muslims who hosted this debate were open enough to attend Richard Bauckhams talk in Galway earlier this year, so when they asked us to field a Christian Speaker we returned the compliment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement